Problem - Deviation to the right upon touchdown

I used the word ‘bug’, but I’m aware that it’s probably more of an issue with the physics engine.

1 Like

I experience the same with the WT CJ4. 17 kt crosswind and I cannot keep it on the runway with full opposite rudder. This also happens on takeoff once the nosewheel lifts off the ground. The only way I can keep it on the runway after landing is mashing on the toe brake opposite of the wind which makes for a very sloppy and violent roll out. This effect is wayyy overexaggerated in the sim.

I’ve only recently begun flying the CJ4 after a C172. I’m experiencing this problem as well, but also seem to notice the rudder’s effect on the plane before landing is much less than I’m used to. Does anyone know if the AP arms the yaw damper automatically on approach? I almost feel like that’s what I’m fighting. Does it have to be turned off manually?

Yaw damper indeed has to be turned off manually after disengaging AP.

1 Like

I appreciate the response. Does AP automatically turn it on during flight? I’ve never touched the YD button, but use autopilot throughout most of the flight until final approach. Are you saying it IS probably on during landing? If so, that really does explain a lot for me.

If you engage AP then YD is also automatically enabled yes. It indeed is somewhat counterintuitive: automatically on, but manually off.

1 Like

Well, I just flew another flight and this doesn’t seem to be the case. YD never came on without me turning it on. I finally found the indicator on the PFD. The landing wasn’t too much crosswind, so I couldn’t really say if the rudder was not as effectual this time.

That depends on the YD design. The ‘cheap’ versions will fight an manual rudder input and the ‘airliner’ ones are engaged at all times.

@Hevok6560 That’s because you want the YD to be engaged when flying manually as well.

Furthermore MSFS still has serious bugs concerning the AP/YD information being displayed on the FMA.

I forgot to mention that I’m flying the Working Title CJ4, it’s a modded version of the stock CJ4. Its behaviour is probably different.

This happens inconsistently with most of the planes. The problem is there’s almost zero crosswind correction required on short final, but the aircraft tries to swerve off the runway and requires extreme rudder correction once you have all 3 wheels on the runway. I’ve felt this on taxing recently, as well - 10 kts on the ground and needed 75% rudder input to keep it going straight. No wind in the world would cause this. ( and in game the plane doesn’t necessarily weathervane into the wind - frequently, you’re pushed away from the wind - or the display and windsocks are still reading wrong )

If there’s a strong x-wind on the ground, you’re not going to weathervane anyways, the wind might try to lift a wing, which is why you correct with aileron.

IRL when you’re landing with a crosswind, you’ll generally have max correction right before touchdown, and when the wheels are on the ground, you’ll need way less rudder to correct - but still hold aileron correction.

It’s basically the opposite feeling of stability in the sim right now - you’re more stable on short final than you are on the runway. It’s probably my biggest grief right now, as it makes every plane feel wrong.

Also… what p-factor on landing? You’re at idle. There’s very little effect.
Esp with a jet :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve also noticed some hyper-twitchiness on a few planes during takeoff - if you keep them on the ground a few kts past rotate speed and even breathe on the rudder pedals, they’ll go crazy out of control ( yaw )

1 Like

Experiencing the same issue with the PA-28R Turbo on take-off. Around 50 knots (so 20 knots before take-off speeds) the plane starts to move erratically in the yaw position and it’s very hard to keep it in the runway even without any winds…

You will get better with practice.

glad I found this thread , I thought I was going crazy since this has happened to me often in the cessna

Flying the C172 and in about a 8-10kt crosswind after touchdown it veered to the extreme left upon touchdown. I had full right rudder applied and it still had a slight left deviation even then , all the way until I came to a stop.

1 Like

Ditto.
And I’ve also had a few wing-to-ground calamities when trying to correct, resulting in the dreaded BSoD as my assistance/crash settings are at hard.
I now pretty much just let the 172 go off the runway if it wants to.

And yet, other times, with similar crosswinds, landing has been fine. It’s a lottery.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.