Prop Animations...what?

Is it just my install or are the spinup prop animations really terrible?

I’m comparing to DCS World which has amazingly smooth and correct prop animations on startup and in flight, with correct pitch change animations.

Also XPlane has very smooth animations including PT-6 turbo prop startups which should start very slow and build up speed in a smooth fashion. Everything I’ve seen in MSFS is incredible jerky and totally unrealistic. Which is surprising because almost all other graphics-related items are near full fidelity.

So I wanted to check with other users and get their input to make sure this isn’t a problem on my end, as it really brings you out of the immersion seeing it behave this way. Thanks!

5 Likes

I haven’t noticed that myself but my prop flying is pretty limited to the TBM and comparison to FSX. DCS I fly F18’s off carriers. :sunglasses: (Returning to the carrier is a different story)

Yup, prop animation needs work, both seen from the front and from the side.

6 Likes

You should try one of the WW2 birds in DCS, they recently overhauled their prop animation logic and it’s incredible. Highly recommend the new Mosquito :ok_hand:

Looks like something that should be in MSFS as al of its other visual parts are amazing.

3 Likes

Agree, they are horrible. FSX got better animations.

3 Likes

This is the latest video I could find showing a PT-6 engine start of the FSG Porter:

https://youtu.be/Ki7sRojSdxg

I agree, this game can learn a lot from the likes of DCS.

Are you referring to this?

hmm that’s only part of it. I’m more referring to the animations themselves and not necessarily the speed. it just looks very unrealistic to me. like the prop is running at 10fps while you’re sim is running much faster.

2 Likes

Yeah the animation are driving me crazy, especially the wobbly terrain and clouds in front of the prop. Not to mention at full rpm on most planes the prop just cycles between 2 positions which looks ridiculous. I’ve found if you turn v-sync off the start up and shutdown are smoother but the prop leaves trace artifacts behind and sim starts tearing.

Props have all been 30fps stock since day 1 I think. I have not flown since SU4 but it would be really nice if they would just sync the props to the ingame fps.

1 Like

Not perfect, but better

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.