PSVR2 is coming to PC!

In a PCVR market that is going to lose WMR “soon”, this could be great news!

This could be the new “G2 level” (actually better) headset that many were looking for.

4 Likes

As a PS5 and G2 owner, this is excellent news!

3 Likes

How do you evaluate the two headsets? Had a G2, but never tried a PSVR2.

I don’t have a PSVR2 yet, but this would push me over the edge to get one.

Oh sorry OK, I misunderstood :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could be a good move by Sony to shift a few more units.

Don’t think it will work properly on PC though with its current connections. Probably will need some sort of additional connector for PC use like the Honeycomb XPC needed to connect to the Xbox. An extra £25/£50 perhaps?

Great news. I have PS5 but never considered buying PSVR 2 because of poor selection of games. Hopefully my Reverb G2 will last until Sony releases Windows drivers.

Sony has no other options cause vr2 is one of the biggest flop in its story.

1 Like

I have the PSVR2 since it first came out. It’s actually a very good headset. Love using it when I’m not in the flight sims with my Aero.

Would be a great option and price point, with the port to the PC.

Perhaps Sony is reacting to MS’s decision to discontinue WMR. Why not, a ‘replacement’ VR HMD purchasing windfall is in the making here.

Price-wise the Quest 3 and the PSVR2 go head-to-head. PSVR2 uses Fresnel lenses but has 2000×2040 per eye OLED displays, and is tethered by its USB cable. Quest 3 use pancake lenses, has 2064×2208 per eye LCD displays and can optionally be USB tethered. Neither have/use DisportPort for video input but instead for the display input both use a video codec stream, e.g. what a youtube video is or what a Bluray disc contains. That last feature is most likely a deal breaker when I consider a future replacement for my Reverb G2.

1 Like

Same here. My enthusiasm faded when I read about USB C connection instead of a proper video cable.

If it works, it works, regardless of what flavour of cable they use.

1 Like

A compressed video never looks and works the same as uncompressed one.

1 Like

That’s a good point. It’s not so much that it’s DisplayPort vs video codec when it come to the inherent image quality of what is being transmitted, well at least if we’re talking lossless codec content (or nearly lossless), it’s what the HMD does with that content that matters the most, and also to some extent how well the computer can deal with creating that codec content.

Dang, the next year or so is going be interesting to see how the effect of the loss of WMR unfolds. Definitely not thrilled about eventually losing my G2, but it’s sort of nice that it’s a rock solid reason to upgrade to better tech.

The PSVR2 is even inferior to the older Rift S…folks acting like this is some magical evolutionary upgrade to PCVR. We already have the better PCVR HMD specs…:bulb:

it’s still an option for some. I enjoy it on my PS5. good to see a port over to PC, (though I saw this happening when I first purchased it at launch).

Nah, it has a gorgeous OLED screen (hello night flights!) (better than the Quest 2 IMO), and it has a DisplayPort connection, so no compression/decompression overhead.

1 Like

Guys, has MS released some information about “how” the PSVR2 will be able to be used for MSFS2020, as in what will and will not work etc? Looked around but couldn’t find.

@CountedFan57061 MS has never really release any specific VR headset info that I’m aware of. In any case, until we get some independant user reviews (probably late Aug/2024) it’s impossible to say how well the psvr2 pcvr headset will perform with msfs2020 imho.

I don’t understand what kind of information you are trying to find? MSFS supports openxr and openvr standards. PSVR2 will work like all other pcvr headsets.