Quest 2 MUST TRY THESE SETTINGS!

From “My VR Settings” topics:

What NVidia Drivers are recommended for VR
How to install Nvidia drivers properly when trying out different versions

1 Like

Thanks I’ll give that a look.

I just tried all these settings including rolling back to that earlier 456.38 driver for my RTX 3080 that CptLucky8 recommends. It all definitely wins me back some FPS and the whole thing is a bit more buttery smooth in cockpit. I great guide, thanks.

Something thats also worth a look are the sittings in the virtual desktop app in the Quest 2 itself, if you’re streaming via wi-fi- from your desktop (highly recommended). There’s a few things there can make a bit of a difference including one for over all colour vibrancy. Thats definitely worth trying. For me it helps get rid of those washed out colours you get in VR, particularly in the landscape, and makes it all a bit more punchy and vibrant like you’re used to on your monitor.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, i will test as soon i receive my 3070 CGU.

But did u change any settings in the Oculus Debug Tools ?

I have a wild guess than if setting vsync to “fast” do something for your VR headset, that could mean you have vsync enabled on 2D graphical options of MSFS. If I’m right, we talk here about the bug they currently have : the vsync in 2D options limit also fps of your headset E.g. 2D vsync for my monitor at 60Hz limit my Oculus at 60fps whatever I do and that’s explain why GPU seems not use at its full potential sometimes in VR (this is a fact I reproduced and know bug). Setting it as “Fast” allow your machine to not be stopped by the 2D vsync and compute at full speed, hence the raising of fps in your headset.

@CodeLoran69 It might well be something related indeed. However, the VR display is supposed to be in “Direct Mode” which is the application is using the Video Card in a mode where there is no monitor and pure graphics only, which then send it via HDCP for example. In the case of the Q2 using USB or Wifi it might be a limiting factor though because the headset is not directly connected, but on the other hand, I believe they would have coded their Oculus driver in a way which is using Direct Mode too and they are only intercepting the final render buffer (or something similar in Direct Mode).

What I found puzzling though is that when trying Motion Reproj. with WMR OpenXR and the G2, It seemed quite consistent I got smoother fps in changing the NVidia CPL settings:

from these (2D or VR without reproj):
Low Latency ON | Threaded Optim. ON | Vertical Sync FAST

to these (VR with reproj):
Low Latency OFF | Threaded Optim. OFF | Vertical Sync OFF

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Every other combination of these 3 settings was not as smooth. I’m attributing this to WMR Reproj. having other requirements with regard to frame timing for it to work and these are helping achieving this.

Having said this, there is still something which makes me wondering: FS2020 is displaying the VR eyes view and this need refreshing and vsync of some sort. I don’t know how much displaying this in a window (borderless or not) is actually having an impact on the VR frame timing. It shouldn’t at all because these are 2 separate rendering paths, but we don’t know either whether FS2020 rendering loop is also 2 separate paths regarding frame/draw sync.

2 Likes

Just followed this and installed the new driver. Specs are i7 7700k and a GTX 1080. Field of view is a lot more clear now. However, I’m getting some stutters, what should in the in game settings look like and should I continue to have the oculus resolution maxed . Cheers

Anyway you can walk me how to connect quest 2 with virtual desktop? Thanks

The in game settings will vary depending on specs. How do have yours set at the moment?

I was thinking the same as your last chapter : their mainloop still wait vsync (so for monitor double view) even when they render in VR, hence the vsync influence. I think this is because their VR implementation seems made on top of the 2D version. I can also see the very moment they start to initialize VR is wrong. If I trigger the proximity sensor of my headset, it start to turn on and off during loading of a flight on monitor, so long before I switch to VR. That’s make me feel they are both tangled in a “dirty” way.

In any case, I didn’t see one person, whatever headset and GPU it have, able to run the sim at the native resolution and Hz of it’s headset, even my low resolution CV1.
On my machine with my GTX1080 the sim can’t render 2 screens 500x500 (Render Scale 30%) at 90fps, which is never seen. When I benchmark I usually see a ratio 2D / VR between 2,5 and 3,5. So you need more or less 2,5 to 3,5 more power to use VR (2 screens with greater FOV plus VR management, 6 axes, etc.).
Let’s say it’s a ratio of 3, this mean, if a 2D game can render on my machine 1920x1080 at more than 60fpsx3=180fps, it will be comfortable to render 90fps 100% render scale at the same settings (or slightly below in quality). This is a ratio I often verified with my VR apps. Here we are very far to reach such ratio…
So my guess is Devs have lot of rooms for improvement.

Edit : made another test, in 2D this time. Lowering all 2D graphical settings to the minimum (even render scale) and keeping 1920x1080, and I have no core raising more than 50% and my GPU is at 60%, and I only have 106fps!

They need to find and release the hand brake they have put somewhere! :wink:

Sorry, I’m too much off topic here (but can’t resist to say I reach 546fps at ultra setting in fullHD in another flightsim, vs MSFS 106 at very low settings)

2 Likes

Also try this - it worked for me!

1 Like

Do you have the Quest set to 90hz in the Oculus app and resolution at the 1.0 default?

I tried the drivers and I’m still setting a much wider scene on the 2d mirror in the pc (peek under the headset to see the screen), which means that I can squeeze more performance by reducing FOV (at the risk of reprojection not being able to catch up with sudden head movements). I wonder what my setup is missing, are you using link or VD?

Hello,

for my G2 rolling back the drivers brought me about 20% fps so now i am able to get +/- 30fps in most environments at 90% render scaling with TAA, 75 T-LOD and O-Lod and medium/high settings on the rest with 2080ti.

100% render scaling results still in 23-25 fps what is playable but not as smoth as having around 30fps. But the garmins are better at 100% so I hope for some performance optimizations by Asobo soon the reach the 100%/30fps goal on my PC.

Anyway rolling back the drivers is worth to try and I have seen no negative impact so far. Even cyberpunk is still at above 40fps at full-on settings (wide 1440p).

What this tells me is that the VR mode has not been optimized since that old driver came out… that’s so irresponsible to release something of this magnitude without testing it on the latest graphics driver. I won’t be rolling back my drivers for this. I can wait for them to give us the actual VR that works and not this beta version. So much potential yet zero time went into the final version of it prior to release… rushed released as everything else in the gaming industry now days. I bet they rushed because of the holidays to get more people to purchase it.

I rolled back to the older driver and I do get better performance. However I do play other games too and I’ve noticed a drop in FPS in games so I might just install the latest Nvidia drivers again and wait for Asobo to optimise the game better.

2 Likes

The exact reason why I’m not rolling mine back.

i don’t find any 446.14 drivers in the Nvidia site for the 3070

What NVidia Drivers are recommended for VR

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.