Quest 2 vs Reverb G2

A comparison of the Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset vs the HP Reverb G2! In this video I discuss the pros and cons of each headset specifically for use in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. I hope it helps you decide one which to get!

1 Like

This video is private
Cant access it

Sorry, should work now!

Directly from Oculus the Q2 is Ā£299 and the Reverb is about Ā£400 more if you can get it or Ā£300 more if you can get it retail (one wretched oaf on Amazon is trying to sell it for nearly Ā£1000). I would expect it to be better quality for the price difference but I disagree that it is not ā€œthat much moreā€ expensive.

2 Likes

Interesting comparison video. Thanks for doing it. I only got the Quest 2 as a stop gap to do me over until the G2 becomes more easily available. I would still like to get a G2. Like I said if I could order one tomorrow easily off the shelf Iā€™d probably sell my Quest 2 and just get one. Though part of me wants to wait and see what else appears on the horizon later this year. The tech is moving so quickly at the moment. Iā€™d point out though that EverydayAsh8932 is right the G2 is twice the price pretty much, or it is if you just get the base Quest 2 for Ā£299, which I think most people get one for.

I totally agree with your observation about the Quest 2 really not working well with the sim. Whenever I fancy a VR flight I approach it with a bit of dread because I know getting the Quest 2 to work immediately without a lot of faffing isnā€™t going to happen. It shouldnā€™t be like that. It shouldnā€™t be an uphill struggle.

2 Likes

Cheers for watching! Yea, I realize I did not elaborate on the accessories. Please note that I do mention the Reverb G2 is not much more costly than the Quest 2. This is based on the accessories I bought as the headset was very uncomfortable (Elite Strap), and I also need the Link cable to connect to my PC, which came to a total of $427. That leaves a price difference of $172!

I should not be a struggle to run it and that is my main reason for the G2 being superior. It is better quality overall but the ease of use just adds value.

Please note that I do mention the Reverb G2 is not much more costly than the Quest 2. This is based on the accessories I bought as the headset was very uncomfortable (Elite Strap), and I also need the Link cable to connect to my PC, which came to a total of $427. That leaves a price difference of $172!

Can someone just confirm a very simple observation I have with the Quest 2. I have got everything set up with advice from the forum on a RTX 3080 card and prescription lens fitted but to me VR is still overall a bit blurry lacking definition and no where near the quality of a monitor.
I can read the gauges but would like the outside views to be clearer.
Is that as good as it gets and am I expecting too much from it ?
It is immersive I agree and I would hate to upgrade to the HP Reverb and find it almost the same.

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid thatā€™s the best youā€™re going to get from VR right now. The Reverb G2 is somewhat clearer, but even at its best current VR is nowhere near as focused and detailed as a good monitor. Maybe some day. Those of us who fly primarily in VR are sacrificing some focus (and a few other things) for the benefit of true immersion.

1 Like

Well it depends of the location

G2 (no controller) for 540Eu normal price on amazon DE (sold by HP not 3rd party market). Sometimes you can get good deals in Eu for 500-510Eu, or even 550 with controllers

Thank you for your response.
I wish there was a way of capturing a picture of what is the best to be expected so you are constantly not thinking it is the headset being faulty or the settings are wrong.
The two images you get on the monitor are what I thought you should see in the headset and they are pin sharp.

It depends on your settings, and the game engine. You can get clearer, sharper graphics if your system can handle it and what setting to change depends on your headset.

I have a RTX 3080, i9 , 64GB Ram etc.
I turned everything to low in PC Graphics settings and just to see what happened set everything to High and Ultra and 150 where there was a scale in Graphics VR
Used 80Hz in Oculus settings.
Amazingly it ran without a problem just an occasional white flash of light but the quality of the picture was not much different perhaps a little improved but hard to say.

In the Oculus Debug Tool there is a setting called pixel density that you can alter from default and turn it up. I can run it at 1.5 some can run it at 1.7. If you try that with your in game settings for detail at 60-80% you should start to see a difference in sharpness. Too much and the game will falter but there is a sweet spot.

1 Like

Thanks I will try that.
Updateā€¦I think this did improve things thanks.
At least I do have a small area that is in focus compared to what I consider blurry.
Using the clear weather option in Flight Simulator from about 7000 ft there is an area in the middle of a few miles which makes all the difference. I have so many Post It notes with Forum Suggestions.

If your computer is powerful enough the Quest 2 can look fantastic if you set it up correctly. What you donā€™t want to do is download the Oculus Tray Tool and mess around with supersampling settings as thatā€™s not optimal. The only reason anyone should download the OTT is if their computer isnā€™t powerful enough for MSFS in VR properly and they need to activate 30Hz ASW. If you have a top-end PC donā€™t bother with it.

Instead in the Oculus settings move the resolution slider as far to the right as it will go. It will give you a resolution of 5408 x 2736. That is the Quest 2ā€™s correct render resolution, i.e a 1:1 match of the render/display resolution when corrected for barrel distortion.

The go into the Oculus debug tool and set your encode bitrate at 400 or 450. That will allow the USB-C cable to transfer more bandwidth and eliminate compression artifacts.

In the sim itself make sure your VR render resolution is set to 80 or higher and for antialiasing select TAA.

These settings will give you the sharpest image quality. Itā€™s exceptionally clear inside the headset on the Quest 2 at these settings. i can even read the tiny safety instructions on the dash of the Cessna 152 and all the dials are crisp and clear.

The downside is anything short of a 3080 likely wonā€™t run at these settings but itā€™s a latest generation game so you have to expect the latest generation hardware.

NOTE - Just a thought, itā€™s also worth checking yout Steam VR resolution settings to make sure they are set up correctly as well. You want the resolution set at 2704 x 2736 per eye. Mine was defaulting much higher than that for some reason and killing my FPS. 2704 x 2736 doubles to match the render resolution on the Oculus settings 5408 x 2376. This is no accident, itā€™s the optimal settings for the Quest 2 and the only resolution you should be running if you care about image quality. You can comfortably drop the refresh rate to 72Hz for Flight Simulator too. You wonā€™t notice the refresh drop in this game and it reduced the amount of frames your GPU needs to render.

4 Likes

Agreed with this, with a decent pc quest 2 looks and runs very well at its max resolution. I use the keyboard shortcut of control+numpad 1 to enable the 45fps mode, so tray tool / debug tool not needed at all

1 Like

Can you explain how you do this ?

Whilst in game you can change Oculus modes with the below keyboard shortcuts. Note you must use the numpad (on the right of the keyboard), not the number keys at the top of the keyboard. You can quickly cycle between them and see which is best for you, I normally use 1 or 2

• ctrl-keypad1 ASW Disabled.
  • ctrl-keypad2 Force 45 fps no ASW.
  • ctrl-keypad3 Force 45 fps with ASW.
  • ctrl-keypad4 Enabled ASW auto.
2 Likes

I recognize the unclear view as well outside the cockpit with the G2 (it was one of the reasons i returned the goggle). Curious if you are still happy with ā€˜pixel trickā€™.

For now i hope the ā€˜G3ā€™ will be a step forward. :wink:

1 Like