Quest 2 w/ Razer blade 15 2020 Base Model **UPDATED 2/17/21

Countless hours of testing, finally got good performance (around 28-32fps) and the imaging isnt all shimmery and blurry at distances (primarily fixed by using the Override pixel display in debug tool)

Lets get started-

Hardware:
Quest 2 + Link cable (yes their branded one)
Specs- Razer blade 15 2020 Base model
Intel - 10750H @2.6 GHZ
RTX2060 - 6GB VRAM
16GB (Stock RAM)
512GB (Stock SSD)
Computer has been heavily modified - Bios has been manually overwritten via a programmer, the TDP no longer applies to the CPU, and undervolting is enabled and used. The CPU and GPU have been LM’d (Liquid metal replaced the stock thermal compound to compensate for the heat).
I run the GPU slightly overclocked (+150mhz core clock) (+50mhz Memory clock) via Afterburner
The computer will slightly go above the 90W imposed limit (for GPU) and still not hit voltage limit ratings with these settings (at least with my silicon)

After a few weeks of disappointment in performance combined with poor, unplayable visual quality and only getting a good ~22fps average I have finally cracked the code. With this setup it is at a playable framerate and you can actually see and read your cockpit instruments :slight_smile:

I followed this guide closely (but some key changes) -

PRIMARY NOTES:
-Nvidia GeForce driver 460.89 ONLY (December 2020 release) VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT USE ANY DRIVER NEWER THAN THIS ONE!!! I HAD MAJOR CONNECTION DROPPING ISSUES WITH NEWER DRIVERS.

-Razer Cortex (Game Booster) mode OFF (When on, it causes the headset to disconnect from the computer)

-Using Open XR runtime

-In Oculus software set graphics preferences to 90HZ and 1.3X (4128 x 2096)
-Oculus Debug tool settings - (pretty much the guide above but these are my exact settings)
PIXEL PER DISPLAY PIXEL OVERRIDE - 1.55
FOV 0.7 ; 0.7
USE FOV Stencil - OFF
ADAPTAVIVE GPU PERFORMACE SCALE - OFF
Asynchronous Spacewrap - Disabled***** (Using the guide above’s force 45fps / Disable AWS setting, was very choppy, leaving this at just (disabled) provided the smoothest image for me

MSFS settings - 2d PC mode set to Low-End PC - windowed

VR mode-
Render Scaling - 60 (50 is as low as ill go for a few extra fps at the cost of sharpness and panel legibility)
Anti-aliasing - TAA
Terrain Level of detail - 120
Terrain Vector Data - Low
Buildings - low
Trees - Med - high
Grass and bushes - Med
Object level of detail - 80
Volumetric Clouds - Medium (high setting reduces ~2fps)
Texture Resolution - Ultra
Anisotropic filtering - 4x
Texture supersampling 4x4
Texture synthesis - High
Water waves - High (dropping this setting lower than high does NOT gain any fps in my testing)
Shadow maps - 768
Terrain shadows - 128
Contact shadows - low
Windshield effects - low
Ambient occlusion - off
Light shafts - Low
Bloom - Off
Glass refresh rate - Low

Phew

To launch the game-
(If overclocking gpu make sure it is NOT overclocked when starting this process, have Base clock speeds) (If overclocked the computer will hit the artificially set voltage limit instead of the 90w power limit and the headset loves to disconnect when this happens)

Connect Oculus quest 2 and allow connection
Run Oculus debug tool and make proper changes**Make sure this is ran in Admin mode
Launch the game - either via regular ol computer screen or though the built in “Virtual desktop” in the Rift home screen thing
Immediately switch to VR Mode once MSFS is loaded
When loaded into the gameworld, now is when to overclock the gpu as desired (at this point the power limit is in place and you will be about ~0.2v away from the voltage limit, thus limiting a disconnect potentially from occurring.

Temps / clock speeds data -
Again this is a modified Blade and non stock BIOS and the silicon has been LM’d, your mileage may vary here.

CPU - Constant 4.3 GHZ @ ~75-80C
GPU- Jumps ~1650mhz - 1800mhz core clock (this is with the +100 mhz overclock via afterburner) (this fluxuation is from the imposed power limit) @ a super constant 75C (usually doesnt budge as that 90w power limit is in place.

Side notes:
Does MSFS randomly crash when I load into the game or try to change to VR mode - Yes
Does the Quest 2 randomly disconnect from computer, just because - Yes

When it is working it is a pretty constant 28-32fps smooth (occasionally I get a quick black screen flicker, but nothing more)

Recap-
After much frustration and tinkering I just had to share this guide. I know there are other guides out there, specifically for the quest 2, but most are referencing higher end GPU’s that are desktop variants. (Much more powerful).
I hope this guide helps other blade users out there that have a Quest 2 and are looking for a playable experience in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

P.S.
I hope optimizations are made for this game and this mode as I feel like it does not utilize PC hardware to its fullest at this juncture and my god is the VR experience just something else.

-Anthony

(I tried to upload a picture here but said I’m not allowed )

1 Like

You may have better results with an FOV of 0.7; 0

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.