Quest 3 vs Hp Reverb 2

Update 10/14/2023 - I bought the elite strap for the head unit to replace the horrible factory strap and it’s a night and day improvement.

2nd - All my initial testing listed below was with the TBM 900. I flew Denver to Aspen and results were as below. However…I flew the PMDG 737 back to Denver and the performance weakened. FPS we’re about 20 coming in for a landing at KDEN. I’m just not impressed with the Quest at this point and certainly not at $600 for the unit and a decent head strap vs my G2 which performs significantly better. Might just send it all back and wait till deep into next year to try again.

Update 10/11/2023

Ok guys as promised here’s the update after spending a few hours with it experimenting on day 2. Some of my Oculus days experience is coming back now.

1.) The Quest Hates Nvidia DLSS Super Sampling. Back to TAA. This made everything in the cockpit nice and crisp and gained some FPS. I forgot that DLSS was what finally got the G2 in the sweet spot. The quest does not like it. Maybe they can fix that later.

2.) Regarding the side to side head turns causing heavy distortion: Sadly, I had to turn my TLOD down to 100 from 225. Once I did this, that distortion mostly went away…and I gained FPS at the cost of the clarity that the higher level gives you.

With these changes my FPS was pretty close to what the G2 gives me …. Close…but still not as good as the G2. Couldn’t get any higher than 37 FPS flying around Seattle but it was doable after these setting changes. G2 is probably 15% better and at twice the TLOD setting. But still both mostly on ultra. Switched from KSEA to PHNL in Hawaii and flying there was pretty nice. Quickly got up to 70+ FPS as I got over the ocean. G2 gets 80 here. Lastly I switched to KJFK in New York City. Here the FPS were close to my G2 but you get the lag in bring the frames which the Nvidia DLSS takes away on the G2 but since DLSS is not effective at this time on the Quest, your eyes and brain get taxed with that frame lag.

Only other setting I changed was I had to tell the oculus debug to disable ASW. Defaults to auto and the quest does not perform as well with it on in my experience. This was the case with my old Rift too.

Last note: Tried with DX12 when I was around Seattle and did gain a few frames there but I still like the overall look with DX11. (Got 41 FPS vs 37 with DX11).

I’all update more as I discover new things. Hope this helps.

Original post below

I got my quest 3 today. I’m an oculus fan but have been on a G2 for the last couple years. My machine is fairly high end. Intel 11900k, 64GB ram, all m.2 drives and a 4090.

I used Seattle (KSEA) with clear skies middle of the day for reference. I run most of my settings on ultra. I’m using a link cable to the PC.

On the ground sitting still at the airport on the runway the G2 is getting about 30FPS (there’s a reasonable amount of traffic so that’s typical at a big busy airport). The quest 3 is getting about 20. In the air around Seattle the G2 is getting around 38. The Quest low 30’s at best. If you look straight up at the clear blue sky the G2 is getting about 48, the quest about 37.

The most notable thing is my G2 is reasonably smooth in any of those situations. The Quest….not so much. For example if you turn your head quickly side to side in the G2, it’s nice and smooth but the quest 3 you really see it straining at the outside edges of the lens. Very noticeable. In addition, the quest has plenty of stuttering and what I call catching up of the frames but the G2 is smooth throughout.

At altitude with the G2 Iam typically around 60 FPS. Ikve seen it over 80 over the ocean. I’ll try the quest under the same conditions tomorrow and update this thread.

I tried various adjustments within the oculus app, and open CP with no improvement. In fact motion reprojection made gauge movements blurry.

I’ll try some more tweaking tomorrow.

Other than flight simulator the headset is pretty neat. The lenses are great where the G2 you have a more limited area of the lens is clear. More to follow.

4 Likes

Did you test G2 with 100% render scale in OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality?

What are you Oculus app settings for resolution/frames? What bit rate is your link cable set to?

I’ve always ran it at 100% so yes.

With my Q3/i913900k/rtx4090 and Link I have my oculus desktop app device graphics settings at 80Hz refresh rate with the res slider full right.

Oculus Debug Tool (ODT) settings are all defaults/zeros except ASW = off, distortion = low, bitrate = 650mbps (maybe start off with 500), mobile asw disabled. When you’re in VR you can turn off ASW anytime by pressing ctrl+num1 (numeric keyboard 1, not top row 1).

Win10/11 settings; hardware acceleration graphics (HAGS) disabled and Game Mode = off

Nvidia control panel 3d settings all defaults except power = prefer max performance. If you are chasing a few more FPS then you may want to change the quality filtering quality default to high performance.

msfs settings; dx11, DLSS/Quality, Sharpening = 130, Rear projection = Depth. Most other settings are Ultra with just a few things like clouds dialed down a notch. Traffic generally low and I’m using a 30Gb rolling cache.

Not sure if this will help you or not. I’m sure you’ll sort these settings out to get the best out of your Q3 with your PC specs.

1 Like

thanks @BuggyMasters for this post, i have a G2 and was hesitating to get the Q3, this post stops me a bit since the main use i do is MSFS.

Maybe testint @SunlitAlpaca141 's settings can somewhat help.
How many FPS do you get @SunlitAlpaca141 ?

1 Like

I’ll be doing some more experimenting in just a little while and will report back. It’s been a couple of years since I had my last Oculus so I gotta go back and relearn the tweaks. My old regular Rift did fine when I had it but of course that’s not with everything on ultra like I have now. My goal is to be able to leave my settings on ultra and get similar FPS as I do with the G2. Only thing I was looking for out of the Quest 3 was their better lens setup vs the G2 but I’m content with the G2 and used to its lens so I’m not willing to give up my current performance just for the quest lens.

2 Likes

Update 10/11/2023

Ok guys as promised here’s the update after spending a few hours with it experimenting on day 2. Some of my Oculus days experience is coming back now.

1.) The Quest Hates Nvidia DLSS Super Sampling. Back to TAA. This made everything in the cockpit nice and crisp and gained some FPS. I forgot that DLSS was what finally got the G2 in the sweet spot. The quest does not like it. Maybe they can fix that later.

2.) Regarding the side to side head turns causing heavy distortion: Sadly, I had to turn my TLOD down to 100 from 225. Once I did this, that distortion mostly went away…and I gained FPS at the cost of the clarity that the higher level gives you.

With these changes my FPS was pretty close to what the G2 gives me …. Close…but still not as good as the G2. Couldn’t get any higher than 37 FPS flying around Seattle but it was doable after these setting changes. G2 is probably 15% better and at twice the TLOD setting. But still both mostly on ultra. Switched from KSEA to PHNL in Hawaii and flying there was pretty nice. Quickly got up to 70+ FPS as I got over the ocean. G2 gets 80 here. Lastly I switched to KJFK in New York City. Here the FPS were close to my G2 but you get the lag in bring the frames which the Nvidia DLSS takes away on the G2 but since DLSS is not effective at this time on the Quest, your eyes and brain get taxed with that frame lag.

Only other setting I changed was I had to tell the oculus debug to disable ASW. Defaults to auto and the quest does not perform as well with it on in my experience. This was the case with my old Rift too.

Last note: Tried with DX12 when I was around Seattle and did gain a few frames there but I still like the overall look with DX11. (Got 41 FPS vs 37 with DX11).

I’all update more as I discover new things. Hope this helps.

6 Likes

Ok did some more flying. Outside of the more congested airports like Seattle and NYC everything is pretty smooth. I was able to put my TLOD back up to 200. Under 10k feet I stay around 37 FPS. Getting up near 20k feet I’m in upper 40’s.

One comment I have to say about the quest 3 is it is definitely the most uncomfortable headset yet. Whoever said “ok” in their design department approval system for the face plate and the strap needs fired. I watched some YouTube reviews and was happy to see that it’s not just me. This thing practically (and literally) makes your head and face numb. Haven’t found a way around it yet but may get the fancy head strap setup tomorrow but that won’t fix the gap that you get at the nose area. I can fly for hours with the G2. 30 minutes on the quest and it’s bothersome. Yeah the lens setup is nice….but quite a trade off for comfort and debatable if it’s worth it considering the performance is better with the G2.

Ok so initial reports, too much fa@rting around to get this up and going, for FS2020, I think more so on my part not knowing all this new stuff.

Not as easy as my Reverb G2 to set up because I do not have a Type C to USB 3 adaptor I had to use VD and had to buy that. No where in the instructions it states that I need to get a C to USB 3 adaptor to plug into the computer.

Very choppy in VR using my wifi 5 signal and VD. However the big however, I can read my instruments alot easier now. Even though not 100% sharp it is an improvement over the G2, maybe because of the pankcake lenses.

Surprised the FOV was not any larger than my G2 or not that I noticed.

Still adjusting settings etc, will not get the c to usb 3 adaptor till Sunday to try with link cable, but the extra freedom of no cable is an added bonus. Tried some VR p@rn, wow alot clearer. :grin:

Played for around 30 minutes and pretty happy compared to my G2, I can now see things I didn’t see with my G2, such as flowing rivers into the distance and seeing valleys, seeing the runway further away on approach, on wingviews seeing the rivets on the wings (CJ4), FO’s windscreen smear, these small things add alot to the feeling of being there etc, can see the first officers instrument read outs (couldn’t see before in the G2)

Headstrap is ok no major headaches or headpains but it looks cheap compared to the G2 headstrap.

Sounds are alot better, the CJ4 jet engine sounds alot better than the G2 from the flightdeck.

Will it replace my G2, I am leaning towards a YES at this stage.

1 Like

As soon as mbucchia’s VDXR is released, use that with VD and the Q3 will run smoother. Also make sure to use an AX WiFi (WiFi6) since the Q3 appears to have a bug causing latency with AC WiFi.

1 Like

I’m getting good frame rates but when head turning the buffering is really annoying, will wait for the VDXR :smiley:

1 Like

Update 10/14/2023 - I bought the elite strap for the head unit to replace the horrible factory strap and it’s a night and day improvement.

2nd - All my initial testing listed below was with the TBM 900. I flew Denver to Aspen and results were as below. However…I flew the PMDG 737 back to Denver and the performance weakened. FPS we’re about 20 coming in for a landing at KDEN. I’m just not impressed with the Quest at this point and certainly not at $600 for the unit and a decent head strap vs my G2 which performs significantly better. Might just send it all back and wait till deep into next year to try again.

2 Likes

What an amazing experience, first proper take off to fully landed flight since I have had the Q3 from G2, it really looks good! Took off from Prosperine to Emerald in Queensland Australia, looking down on the Australian terrain the sounds of the jet engines behind me, due to the lenses first time I saw a river wind its way all the way to the ocean probably some 50 to 70 kms away - just amazing, there is still stutters / shaking when i move my head from side to side, don’t know what the cause of this is, maybe due to my rtx 3070 over wifi, but looking down on the terrain below is sharp !

First time I saw solar panels of roof of houses !

Looked down on the cockpit seat and saw the stitching in the carpet (CJ4)
Looked left and saw in clear writing the fuse labels -
Looked out saw the valleys and mountains simply amazing, then I think imagine how good this would look in a Crystal / Aero…
Early days yet I think only going to get better.

3 Likes

First tests after getting q3 and comparing to g2. DX12, 12900k, 4090.
All that was with VD, open-xr beta app and dedicated router. I have official link cable from q2 but didn’t test yet. Airlink not even gonna check it’s just garbage.

Good things first.

-Lenses: way better for sure, edge to edge clarity is huge deal
-FOV: I found it slightly better, mostly cause you don’t need to worry about sweet spot that much
-If you gonna use it for stuff outside flight sim way to go, overall headset feels great except for default strap (I would recommend go look 3rd part can get really good one for ~30-50$ instead of meta ones.)

Now to the reasons I will most likely return it.

-Performance: With g2 I have it running with 200% render scale and DLSS quality which gives me very crisp picture (even kinda increased sweet spot) and around 60fps in tube liner at Barcelona airport)
Now the same DLSS quality with q3 has pretty poor picture in comparing and slightly better performance.
Q3 with TAA 100% gave me around 40fps same spot which is fine but not that nice anymore.

-Picture: The only way I was able to get somewhat decent picture was TAA 100% like guys above mentioned. Overall it’s still losing to g2 crispness and it looked like anti aliasing just didn’t want to work at all, not sure why but I couldn’t get rid of that flickering on edges of objects in distant, mostly noticeable around threes on horizon.

Gonna do more tests tomorrow and update this, maybe with dx11 and openxr toolkit, but so far I’m like 50/50 impressed / slightly disappointed.

3 Likes

How are you getting 60fps with 200% render scale on the G2? Do you dial down the settings in sim?

Yes, I don’t run ultra, everything on high with tlod 150, objects 100.

I should have pointed all test were done in vfr. Heavy imc with traffic tanks everything down to ~35-40. But I only use VR for short local flights. My biggest problem with q3 if I get same smooth feeling picture is blurry with dlss, and TAA just doesn’t feel smooth anymore.

1 Like

I went ahead and returned mine. It’s just not ready yet for flight simulator and that’s 99.999% of what I do in VR. Yes the lens are great but I’m all about performance /FPS and felt like I went significantly backwards in that area. G2 it is for me.

4 Likes

Tried to go with wired link to push that render scale. Didn’t work at all, sim just freezes when I try to switch to VR, nothing changed since q2 times, oculus pc app is still useless. All you need to know is that inside q3 is still shows that device is connected to pc as Rift…

My final thoughts if you have g2 and only use it for msfs, q3 not worth it, with strap and extra battery it’s pretty much $600 headset and it’s still too much of pain to set it up with pc vr. At this point it’s better to look at premium pcvr headsets or just wait for new ones.

I’m loving the Quest 3 headset. The virtual desktop PC desktop looks amazing and in SteamVR home it looks as good as the G2 but over 95% of the display. Very little aliasing effects. For example the holding screen in Steam VR where you see lines into the distance is incredible and every bit as good as the G2 at it’s best.

I’ve also tried a few simple PCVR apps and the display holds up amazingly well. Now MSFS…

I don’t know what’s going on but it’s not great. I’ve tried link/air and VD. Not found the balance yet but it just appears anti-aliasing is completely broken and buildings and objects in the mid-far distance look shockingly bad.

I’m convinced ths display is incredible even allowing for the cantered lenses and silightly visible screendoor, through apps in PCVR just astonishing, seeing your desktop displayed for the first time in an edge-to-edge clear display is just brilliant.

At this stage I really thing the issues are with MSFS and I’m puzzled why it’s looking so bad.

UPDATE16:10:2023
So as I expected the screen fidelity in the Quest 3 is phenomenal. Folks who have returned the Quest 3 maybe have done so too soon, the rest of us should sit tight and wait for the VDXR update.

Looks like my aliasing issues was down to OpenXR Toolkit which had CAS mode enabled. I just disabled the OpenXR Toolkit entirely and the sharpness came back in the distance. The image quality now is comparable to the G2, of course screendoor is ever so slighty noticable and a bit of mura but overall the image quality is much better than the G2 when reviewed across 100% of the display. I like it!!!

This now for me at least is just a performance issue, so hoping my tweaking and the VDXR update will solve the issues.

5 Likes