Quest2: picture flickering and shaking even in main menu

I know, there are so many threads about flicker, blurry, stuttering etc. but actually none of them is describing my problem. My Quest2 works absolutely fine with link or airlink with all other games and apps. Quality is very smooth on my PC with Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX 3070, 32GB. However, as soon as I switch to VR mode within FS2020, the picture starts to flicker and shaking already in main menu and for sure this is when CPU and GPU are still running low. It is not that strong that you can not play at all, but it is really annoying and definitely impacting the overall experience. No difference later when I am flying, landscape is flickering and the picture is really unstable.
As the problem occurs already in main menu of FS2020 before flying i suppose this may have nothing to do with FS VR settings but there might be a more general problem with the interface between Quest and FS. All other games are working properly via airlink.
Any ideas what might be wrong?

1 Like

Mine always does it before settling down after a minute or so. Many people have mentioned the terrible VR implementation, on this forum.

It needs a radical rethink by the programmers.

I agree, very disappointing.

1 Like

It is hard for me to accept that VR implementation here is worse than almost anywhere else. I will not give up that quickly…
I use FS2020 (bought in MS Store, not Steam) with Link and Airlink and my setup is working perfectly with SteamVR games for example. No lag, no stuttering, shaking at all.
Is FS2020 VR better when running as Steam app? What about running via Virtual Desktop, is it worth a try?

Hey Csaa3843,

I have the same problem. I tried to switch to Win11, it didn’t change anything.
I installed and made some modifications on Oculus Tray Tool, it did not change anything…
My configuration is : Ryzen5 3600x, Rx6700XT and 32Go of Ram…
I am connected with the official Oculus cable, and the bug happens as soon as I activate the VR mode with CTRL+TAB.

Here is a video I made while filming with my phone in the lenses of my helmet, to confirm that we have the same problem.
https://youtu.be/iu-VzjCxA8U

I’ll continue my research, and tell you if I find something.

Have a nice day.

It is quite similar but actually I do not experience it inside the Cockpit but more when viewing the landscape outside. I can change settings down to lowest positions, does not change anything.

I’m having this exact same problem. Thank you so much for making a video, maybe we can get some traction on this. I’m also on a 6700XT.

EDIT: Linked this to several other forum posts here: Bad warp effect with Radeon RX 6700XT - #17 by RSparkyC

Also, has anyone tried Virtual Desktop? Might be worth seeing if that fixes it for anyone.

It looks like warping in the video but reading the content of this thread it sounds as though you’ve probably already tried disabling ASW in OTT or the Debug Tool?

Incidentally, I also run an RTX 3070, 32GB Ram. I have a different CPU, mine is the i7-10700K.

Cheers,

But didn’t @ElHublot say he was on a 6700XT?

With your RTX 3070, do you see anything like this? From what I’ve seen, I feel like this is limited to AMD GPUs.

My apologies, sorry I was referring to the specs of csaa3843, the topic author.

You may be right about AMD GPUs, I saw the other thread about RX 6700XT from July 21, it’s a shame driver 12.5.2 didn’t improve things for you.

RE: my RTX 3070 - no, I only see something like what’s in that video if I have ASW enabled at 30Hz mode. Having said that, I have had a lot of performance issues lately with recent nvidia drivers. I’m normally very reluctant to roll back to old versions, but I recently tried nvidia 465.89 (HAGS on) and I have to say the sim runs so much better and performs how I expect it should.

I have the Steam version of MSFS. I use the official link cable with Oculus set as default openxr. Sometimes I use Airlink and it’s mostly fine. I tried Virtual Desktop and it was good but I couldn’t quite seem to get the same clarity/performance as I currently get with the link cable.

Out of curiosity, are you running any RGB lighting control software? The issue seems pretty rare, but I have heard of instances where some have experienced a negative impact on VR due to RGB lighting control software for their GPU. It’s probably unlikely, just trying to brainstorm some ideas in case other AMD drivers don’t work.

Cheers,

Thank you for all your replies.

Here are my settings in OTT. I’m not very good at all these settings, I don’t really understand what things correspond to.
Default Super Sempling : 1.3
Default ASW Mode :OFF
Adaptive GPU Scaling : ON
Miror FOV Multiplier 0.90 / 0.75
Voice Commands : Disabled
Oculus Homeless : Enabled
Mirror Oculus Home : Disabled
Visual HUD : None
OVR Server Priority : Above normal

And for the Oculus Quest Link
Distorition curvature : Low
Encode resolution : 3648
Biterate : 300
Sharpening : Enabled
Recommended SS : 1.3

My AMD driver is 22.1.2, and I have OC my graphics card.
And without ASW, it doesn’t really change anything…

Cheers,

Hey,

There is an update of my Oculus quest 2 this morning, and the problem looks solved…

I let you know if anything wrong happened.

Thks for all your support, fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

I saw that an update rolled out yesterday, but I was still having problems with that one.

Well, finally the update did not change anything. I don’t know why it worked when I launched after the update and it doesn’t work now… I didn’t change anything between the two launches. I’m confused.

I’m on a 3080ti + airlink and Bitrate totally screwed up my image.
After setting Bitrate to 0, all was good.
(of course not sure how this works out on other rigs.)

I’ve tried with the Bitrate to 0, and it didn’t change anything.

I’ve switched back to Win 10, and I’ll try differents settings, I’ll update you asap.

Cheers,

If you get ASW to work then it gets much smoother.
( I have it set to 18Hz, and the headset to 90Hz , resolution somewhere round 4800…)
You might still get an occasional “tearing” but it’s WAY better than watching continuous micro stutters.
But the OTT is notorious for not kicking in after changes made.
What worked for me, and this is voodoo don’t ask why,
is to you keep the OVR server log open in a dialog.
You can do this by opening the Oculus Debug Tool and choose “Toggle console window visibility”
Also try to start with really low resolution (1400x1400) in the openXR tool, and then work your way up.
Good luck.
Oh and try to narrow down FOV even more. It has huge impact. (I’m on 6.5 x.5.5. I know it’s boxy, but you do get used to it after a while. Better than stutters.)

recently upgraded from 2070 to 3080ti, and have the same issue with BItRate, either AirLink or Link…?

Hey there did you manage to get it working? Im having the same issue as soon as Flight Sim loads Steam VR becomes unusable. Im trying to run the Game pass version so Im thinking this is the issue. I guess Steam really want me to fork out the $80 to run their version. Frustrating :confused:
I’ll take a punt and buy the steam version and see if it fixes things.
Clever way for steam to make money here!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.