Radeon 5700XT Driver Timeout

I’ve also been experiencing this issue since the driver release in November. I reported the driver timeout problem to AMD via the Bug Report Tool about 10 times in the last month or so and haven’t heard back from them. Tuning the advanced settings (e.g. undervolting the GPU) doesn’t help on a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT screaming at 4k/Ultra. I guess the answer to this problem is Nvidia.

What Driver version are you on? I’m on the latest WHQL version (20.11.2), and it seems to work perfectly.

haha, plenty of people reporting loads of problems with the latest NVidia drivers, so the grass isn’t always greener.

1 Like

Well, I can’t find any posts about driver timeouts that would be caused by the latest drivers on their best last generation graphics card. I’ve been having driver timeouts with the latest three releases of the AMD drivers (20.11.1, 20.11.2 & 20.12.1).

Odd, I have a 5700XT as well, and haven’t ever seen a driver timeout (full stock settings on the card though, well, apart from the factory OC which is of course active).

I still have CTD at least once every session. I’m assuming it’s the TDR error because for some reason the Radeon error reporting box stopped popping up a couple of weeks ago. I keep hoping there’ll be a driver update, but obviously no joy yet! It still seems odd that for me at least, there’s no direct correlation between what’s happening in the sim at the time of the CTD. It’s so random…

if it crashes to desktop, there should be some entries around that timestamp in the windows event log.

• click on the magnifying glass next to the windows start button
  • type ‘event viewer’, and press enter
  • click open the ‘Custom Views’ folder, and select ‘Administrative events’

Most of the ‘Warning’ markers here you can ignore, but see if there are any entries marked as ‘Error’ or ‘Critical’ around the time the sim crashed. They might help you figure out what’s going wrong.

1 Like

I’ve also been receiving these more often. X570 Unify, 32GB, 5700XT, 3700X. Playing at 3440x1440 on Ultra settings.

Card temps are 68C. Usually crashes about an hour into the flight. Very repeatable. I’ve turned on the “Advanced” mode to make sure the fans are at a 80% duty cycle (much more aggressive than default)

I’ve given up on the card and will be installing an Nvidia today

I was getting this error almost every flight. I eventually fixed it by setting Wattman setting to default manual but the biggest one i found was causing it was the chill settings. I was limiting to 30fps and that seemed to be the cause.

Possible that if you use other frame limiter it might also cause the crash. Only setting I have “on” is image sharpening. All other settings as application controlled.

I have been seeing the same with my 5700xt. I am going to try and lower the voltage and see if that changes anything. I am pretty sure this is more of a drivers issue for sure.

Geting same issue but just only when using two monitors, with just one no issues at all.

High settings
Radeon panel, game boost and mimic options as per sim.
Ryzen 9 3900
32gb

2 Likes

I’ve been having this same issue.

Ryzen 5 3600X
Radeon RX 5700 XT (MSI)
B450 Tomahawk Max (MSI)
32gb Ripjaws V ram

2x 27" 1440p 155hz monitors + 42" 1080p tv OR HP Reverb G2. The problem occurs regardless of what display I use. No overclocking and all AMD settings are default and up to date. This problem only started happening a few weeks ago for no apparent reason. It didn’t line up with my last AMD driver update.

1 Like

Randomly I also have this issue. I believe that is something with texture rendering. This happens to me in 2 situations, when I play warthunder and most of the time if I have my settings at medium, if they are at max this almost never occur. In this case, with msfs only happen since last update. I believe this maybe be some kind of driver issue, I think when the Sim or game starts struggling with textures the driver just stops and restarts. I got sapphire nitro rx 5700 xt oc edition, ryzen 7 3800x 16 gb g skill TridentZ rgb for amd at 3200mhz my mobo is also msi x470 gaming plus max all equipes with aerolux 750w.

I’m still having the issue and it’s still random but the only thing that is common is it only happens to me when running on air company on my second monitor and little nav map(in server mode) on my pc.

I have not had any driver timeout error when just flying the sim with no other connected apps running

Hm, this is really weird. I’ve set the graphics profile for MSFS in AMD Radeon Software from “Gaming” to “Standard” and the driver timeouts disappeared. Then I checked the AMD Radeon Software settings again after a few days and the graphics profile was again set to “Gaming”, but I can’t reproduce the driver timeouts anymore. Funny thing is that the AMD Radeon Software asks you what you’re planning to do on this pc upon first launch and it seems that we’re actually “standarding” instead of gaming. Makes sense. :joy:

Ok, figured out what’s happening with the graphics profile reset - every MSFS update resets the graphics profile setting to the system/default setting; the AMD Radeon Software recognizes the update as a new game -, so it’s best to just set it to “Standard” system-wide.

Had same issue posted my possible solution here (no crash 2h running), Freeze and/or CTD (AMD, 5700 XT GPU/driver related) - Possible solution

Found the original solution somewhere else but cant find the original post now.

EDIT Sep 2021: Having crashes again after having a break from flying. Did go in to Radeon software and saw my custom fan curves was gone, card was running very hot but after updating the fan curves I haven’t had a crash in few hours, keeping junction temp at 82-83 with almost max fan speed. It’s loud but it seems to work for now. But getting 3070 very soon so hoping this is the end of crashes.

I reckon its due to the latest drivers.

Never had this before , I tried all but still getting this randomly on bussy areas like Madrid, NY, Dubai.

Will re install pre drivers version from November and came back to you guys

I never had crashes with driver timeouts, until I tried VR that is. Had two while running in VR. Since been doing some non-VR flying again, and no crashes at all.

Anyways, bug reports were sent to AMD, so hopefully they will be able to fix it.

1 Like

I am facing the same issue - I think, since I updated my 5700 to version 20.12.1
Is there any solution in sight?