Radeon 5700XT Driver Timeout

I just updated to Radeon’s new driver 21.2.3 and so far I’ve been flying the C172 from Newark to somewhere in South America without any CTDs in the last 10 hours.

Although I didn’t see it happen, I heard the engine sound stop for about 2 seconds twice and by the time I was able to see it visually the flight was continuing without a problem. It was like it recovered from what would have been a CTD. Some of the flight I had gone to bed to sleep so I may have missed more of these 2 second “hesitations?”.

It’s interesting that as I was starting to install this new driver, the software install gave two choices, continue with 1) install the new driver or 2) install and recommended the driver from 11.2.20. I of course chose the new driver.

So far so good. My flight has about another 8 hours to go that I may or may not finish. Previous “new” drivers always ended with a CTD after an hour or so.

Ryzen 7 3700, RT5700XT, 32GB 3200MHZ, 1000W PS, 1GB SSD, Win 10.

So how’d it go with the new driver?

I’ve also been having CTDs for a few months now, which appear to be solved by rolling back to Aug 2020 drivers through Windows Update (27.20.1034.6).

Asus B450
Ryzen 5 2600
RX5700XT
16 GB 3200 MHz
Win 10 20H2

Im running on a RX 570 and also had these driver timeout CTDs. Rolling back to the October driver fixed it for me as well. So it’s not just the RX5700 which is affected.

1 Like

It’s still running fine. I wish I knew if it was AMD that fixed it or MS.

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

I had those ctd as well, it’s not msfs issue because it happens to me with other games like warthunder. October driver solved those issues so far for me. Looks like somehow, the de new drivers assume in wrong way that gpu is hover heating and do a shutdown and restart for security. Seems to be amd driver issue which was not seen yet by amd. People with new 6000 series gpu facing this issue too.

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm that the newest driver release, 21.2.3, looks very promissing. 2 long-haul flights or 22 flying hours with the jumbo without a CTD. It’s very strange that the driver release notes don’t mention this fix. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I have been having CTDs (VCRUNTIME140.dll) for the last few weeks and have not been able to pin down the problem. Tried reinstalling of Visual C++, remove overclocks, disable XMP, changing driver versions etc. None of this worked.

However with the new Adrenalin 21.2.3 I have not yet had a CTD so this driver does indeed look promising.

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT

1 Like

Maybe AMD read my review that I would not recommend their product to anyone following all of their 1’s out of 10 on my ratings in their survey. LOL

1 Like

Ok, I’ve got some bad news. The game just froze while doing a third long-haul flight with the jumbo (about 30 hours of flying with the newest driver and about 2 hours into the flight) and I had to reset my pc (haven’t done this yet with the “new” pc - 6 months old). However, it appears that the issue is less frequent than before.

1 Like

I had a similar experience with 21.2.3, ok for a while but then got a CTD and a BSOD (that’s a first!). But I also feel these freezes might be a little less frequent with the new driver.

Anyway, rolling back to 20.8.3 for now…

1 Like

I have also just had a CTD with 21.2.3 so perhaps initial success was due to chance.

Things I reenabled since installing 21.2.3: Turned Live Traffic back on, and resetting FSUIPC configuration (previously had the ProvideAIdata=No flag).

It could be those two things also so I will revert on those changes.

I will also try rolling back to 20.8.3 and see how it goes.

I’ve still been having AMD driver timeout CTD as well. Do they still happen in driver 20.8.3??

version 20.10.1 seems to be the more stable one.

4 Likes

Agreed, I’ve been running 20.10.1 for a few days now without any issues, including other games (P3Dv5, War Thunder)

Exacly the same, what happens so often since latest October 2020 to me. It’s also the mostly occuring effect also at all of my CTD events (and menawhile I has so many of them). My Hardware: Sapphire Radeon 5700 XT with 8 GB, Intel Core I9, 32 GIG ofCorsair Ram and 1TB SSD. So many things meanwhile re-installed and or re-configured or re-initialized (BIOS updated and all Auto/conservative settings, RAM, Radeon drivers, FS-Settings (all minimal meanwhile), Completely clean Flight simulator Installation with all Downloads re-performend, Occurs with and also without Payware-Addons (German Eastfrisian Islands, Aerolite 103) from the FS-Internal M$-Shop. Nothing ever Tweaked and also nothing ever Overclocked. Since last Full FS-Reinstallation 1 week ago (World Update 3) also
No Payware- or Freeware addons at all. And every day (Mostly after 1…30 Min of Flying) crashes and crashes and crashes and…

Very Frustrating also for me.
Good luck for not giving up and continued search of a (really Problem solving!) Solution…

Update:
Made some 1st try to lower the Radeon settings (Userdefined Fan Speed uncreasement, 20% reduced GPU Frequency & Power Supply, Fan-speed, Vsync…) and also lowering some also Graphic card related settings at my BIOS.
Effect: 1st time since many Months i could do an not-interrupted 2 1/2 hour flight from West- to Eastcoast of the UK - …and then got a well-knownCTD. So seems to be the right way and under the line much better, as before (since 3 Month often < 15 min and never longer than 45 minutes till CTD). Next I’ll completely follow the tips from this forum regarding Sync, Settings, renewing to a “blank” installation of my Graphic card etc. and then again customize my Radeon-settings regarding reduced GPU-Frequency, Power supply and Fan-Speed. Hopefully I can fix w/o AMD (Gave up my hope on them…).

I had CTDs today with 20.8.3 and then also with 21.2.3 after reinstalling it.

I made the changes to FSUIPC and turned off traffic and I am still getting the CTDs.

I have also tried underclocking and undervolting but increasing the power limit, however this is not helping either.

The same for me. I tried older drivers (20.10.1), increased fan speed (I have RX590), turned off FreeSync, increased virtual memory, all to no avail. First I had problem with game freezing on loading screen, and now crashes with (driver timeout) issue. This game became virtually
unplayable for me…

Mmh, running the 5700 and googled the driver timeout to find this thread. This has been driving me nuts as it’s happening almost every other flight.

I too have OnAir running. I only really every fly with it so makes wonder if there’s a connection.

I don’t have it running on second monitor, just in the background, but seeing as not many others have stated they’re running OnAir, I suspect it might just be the AMD.

Man I swear to god, I’m never buying AMD again. My last AMD gave me nothing but problems many years ago. I switched to NVIDIA and used to watch AMD users in many games I played having all sorts of issues. I switched back to AMD only because the Rig I bought was a good deal and I foolishly assumed AMD had gotten their act together.

I’ll try rolling back to October driver as suggested.

As posted here…I rolled my drivers back in late January and it 100% fixed the driver timeout /CTD issue. I’m still running onair just about every time I’m in the sim and have had zero problems.

Driver Rolback may reduce the CTD occurrence reasonable (Best the October 2020 one). Also “Clean” FS Installation (Deinstall FS, erase all(!) FS-Update Downloads, Reinstall FS, Re-load & install all(!) FS-updates only from server) may help. … and try to let out all Addons (also commercial ones) for a while and then you may see more or less CTD improvements.

At the end all of it lowers my CTD events (<50%), but could not remove them completely.
You may decide on your own - and don’t give up. FS is wonderfull, if (!!!) it runs well. If nothing helps, then think about selling the 5700 to a lucky Bitcoin miner and pay the additional (i know actual very high) Price for a Nvidea (that has sometimes also CTD-issues, but often much less, as some(!) AMD cards).
I know, it’s really not an Everybodys FS problem, but i think, we had the very very unwanted “Jackpod”…

Always happy landings,
Captain Warstein