Radeon 5700XT Driver Timeout

@Moonpie6265 What GPU driver are you running?
I am on 21.7.1.
I don’t know if it makes sense to update to 21.7.2, because known issues for it state:
Known Issues:

• Driver timeouts may be experienced while playing a game & streaming a video simultaneously on some AMD Graphics products such as Radeon™ RX 500 Series Graphics.
  • AMD Radeon™ Software may crash or become unresponsive while playing some DirectX® 11 games such as PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds™ with multiple displays connected in extended mode.
  • Playing Horizon Zero Dawn™ for an extended period may lead to a driver timeout or game crash on some AMD Graphics products such as Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution/refresh rates may cause flickering on Radeon™ RX Vega series graphics products.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.

(BTW: I have multiple Displays connected with different resolutions.)

1 Like

I’m on 21.6.1. I did notice the known issues and stayed on the recommended driver instead. I may try 21.7.1 later. If all fails I guess it’s back to the October 2020 driver.

1 Like

Thanks guys for that.

In my case I was stuck on the 10/1/20 driver for my RT5700XT, any other new drivers resulted in ctd’s.
I installed Win 11 preview (beta version) upgrade and for me all of my driver problems disappeared.

Again, I’m saying in my case.

I could definitely try installing windows 11. I was lucky I saved enough to build a dedicated PC for MSFS just before GPU prices went through the roof so using an older driver or messing with a newer OS is not a problem.

1 Like

I flew for several hours today with mods enabled (see my profile for detailed info), but they were multiple flights in different locations (LOWI, Iceland, NewYork). No freezes and no driver timeout. Very pleased with this update, performance wise.

Don’t get me wrong, MSFS certainly had two or three CTDs, but never during a flight, only while starting a new flight (loading screen) and the driver never timed out. I can live with occasional loading CTDs since with the better loading times its not that frustrating compared to a CTD on final.
So I hope the hotfix will remove such issues and the driver timeout is never seen again on my system. Unfortunately I don’t have time for 8 hour flights, so I can not provide data if the issue still occures on a single longer flight.

1 Like

I have a 5700XT and am using the 20.10.1 driver from the time of the initial release of MSFS.

To prep for SU5 I uninstalled flight sim, and anything related to flight sim. I cleaned the registry.

So my installation is as “clean” as I could make it. GUI issues not withstanding (key binding et. al.) and some third party software glitches, my performance experience is the best yet. Smooth as butter, with no “hangs” or “freezes” or “stutters.”

Pretty good overall I’d say, performance-wise…

1 Like

I started a several hour long AP flight with all my common mods enabled using the FBW A320. I tuned my settings a little higher so that I had a mix between HIGH and ULTRA preset. My avg. fps were 40 on the ground /near New York and in more rural areas avg. was about 50-55. I did not set higher settings since in the worst case scenario I got 28 fps as 1% lows. Live weather and live traffic were enabled again. I had no CTD. Overall, a very smooth experience. Hope driver timeout will be a thing of the past for most. You can see my detailed specs in my profile.

I’ve had good experience so far in the PMDG DC-6. Nothing “glitchy” to speak of, and butter smooth every time I’ve flown.

Hope it continues to be this way… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just did another flight of approximately 2.5 hours with the FBW A320.
No CTDs.
Very pleased with the update.
If the remaining severe issues other players have, can be fixed with the next hotfix,
I would be a very happy player.
@Moonpie6265 any news on your side?

2 Likes

I have also been flying with no issues for the past week after updating to 21.7.1 drivers. I’ve even watched some videos when there was not much too see out the window. Very happy to see this issue gone after almost 9 months of crashes.

3 Likes

I will give a chance to 21.7.2 (having the backup of the 20.10.1 which i did not have any issue)

will let you know guys what’s the story in the coming days

I went from great performance and no CTD’s with 21.7.2 to massive performance loss and CTD’s all over the place with 21.8.1. There was a new Windows Update today as well. So not sure which one is the culprit. Will roll back to 21.7.2 for my next few sessions I guess.

Well, after a variety of flights, 7 hours in total, on 21.6.1 I have to say that I’m very happy to upgrade from 20.10.1.

The CPU , VRAM And RAM usage seem to be similar or just a small improve , the big different in my case was the GPU usage, it never reached the 100% and the FPS average was 109.2.

All very smooth.

I did a clear install, so uninstall previous version and then install W10 update (21H1) and then install the new AMD drivers

1 Like

another thing i want to highlight is the great improve on sharpness.

1 Like

Has anyone tested 21.9.1? S.A.M. is now enabled for 5700xt, so I want to update…

I haven’t been brave enough to disrupt the stability I’ve been enjoying… :slight_smile:

I’m still on 20.10.1 and it has proven to be very stable. So far I have tried updating to a new driver and reverted back a total of 4x.

There must be some special compatibility between 20.10.1 and MSFS.

1 Like

i think its because 20.10.1 was just before the new GPU landed so all the support and testing was focus on our GPU model.

I used this version for so long until i got a big improve on 21.6.1, it was when W5 was implemented (+100 FPS).

i have mode now to W11 and now moved to 21.8.2 and ultra setings and happy enough.

Still testing the new windows so i will try at some point the new 21.9.1 and come back here because i’m courious regarding the new feature called Smart Access Memory on Radeon™ RX 5000 Series Graphics.

2 Likes

Would be interesting if it brings performance benefits without introducing instability.
BTW, 21.9.1 is the first driver that officially supports Windows 11 as far as I know.
Chipset should probably also be updated for Windows 11.

2 Likes