Radical change of course for product development

And I’ll add that nothing I do in the simulator is less than what I would do in real life. In fact, I often do it in the sim before doing it for real at airports where I’m unfamiliar.

And the level of realism for VFR flight…anywhere in the world…is second to none.

I know that’s not what the “this thing sucks and will never work” crowd wants to hear, but it’s true.

5 Likes

And last comment on this…

If X-Plane or P3D does a better job of simulating the knobs and dials on a B777 and makes that type of experience more realistic, then that’s great. Maybe they should be your focus, rather than being upset that Asobo isn’t prioritizing that type of experience.

The kind of folks who want the PMDG type experience aren’t the target market for this version of MSFS, at least in the short term. That’s my opinion anyway.

1 Like

There is the kick, right there.
I love having an aircraft or two in my hanger that accurately reproduce the real cockpit, with all the systems, knobs, switches and dials. I NEVER used a default aircraft in ANY sim for that purpose. I shopped for YEARS, through various 3rd party offerings, until I found the ones I liked. Once installed, I don’t think I ever flew a default aircraft again.

I would never expect any sim to give me an ‘out of the box’ accurate, complete, procedure simulation. That comes later. Those ‘hardcore simmers’ know that too. Those that don’t know it are new to the hobby or are in denial. We all know we will spend far more money on garbage airplanes than we will ever admit before we find the ‘one’. Once found, those simmers will be too busy flying to complain anymore.

1 Like

As a non-pilot I obviously cannot make any statement with merit. But what I can say is that I too can build a flight plan, either on the map screen, or in LNM, or in the excellent new NXi, and I can fly that plan to the letter, to the best of my abilities, and within the limitations of the current built-in ATC.

MSAsobo will not change their direction based on random posters on a message board.

• By suspending graphical development or deployment, they’d be admitting that they don’t have the resources / intelligence / bandwidth to code for both graphics and flight models. Sure, that’s the message they want to send to future purchasers of MSFS (remember, Christmas is coming). And by allowing posters on a forum to guide their future direction, they’d be setting a dangerous precedent

• You can tell by the responses in this post that people who paid $$$ for this sim also want pretty graphics, and they don’t want MSAsobo to stop giving that to them.

• We don’t know the impact COVID has had on their teams. If they’ve been hit hard, their coding will be delayed. If they’re having to work from home, they’ll be less able to collaborate on ideas and problems that may come up, and that could impact development, testing, and implementation.

Some users demand fixes for CTDs, others say they’re working fine. Some demand changes to the flight models, and others don’t know the difference between IFR and VFR. Some say the graphics are seriously flawed, while others just want to “fly over stuff”. We can’t even decide among ourselves what direction MSAsobo should go, so in our current state, we’re in no shape to offer advice.

1 Like

And in no way am I suggesting that I should be able to log time in MSFS, but the practical training value is real.

1 Like

I have actually seen very very few people here asking for PMDG quality from Asobo/MS.

However, what I have seen, is a lot of people here asking for a working SDK, or stopping to break simple things like the mess ups at CDG airport, floating lights, terrain glitches, … that break immersion.

they are working on it. At an incredibly low pace. While breaking half a dozen things. Which they then don’t fix for a couple of months. While working on things we don’t want. THAT’s where the impatience comes from.

1 Like

I was perhaps naively hoping for it to prior to release, I’m not ashamed to admit.

Do you have pilot’s certificate? I do, and roughly 3,000 hours.

When I fly VFR in the real world, often the sole reason is for pretty scenery. And the way you navigate VFR is using that scenery and the landmarks. Often a tower will tell you to “turn base at the interstate” or “enter downwind at the mall” etc.

So having a sim world that matches closely to the real world, with roads, buildings, etc is key to the flight experience. Again…many of us are thinking about the flying part, not how to click the button for the breaker for the B2 bus.

4 Likes

I’m not going to rehash everything, but it’s also about expectations. That’s a subjective topic.

Your sure right on that part, however, they do need to get Rome completely built before offering it for sale.

2 Likes

The term ‘we’ implies everyone.

Do not include me.

That does not make sense for a city nor for a sim.
A city grows from a small village and takes the form its citizens give it, improving little by little, same goes for a sim, they can provide the core of it, the platform (which I must say after WU6 works surprisingly well) users and third parties are the ones that need to ask for X feature to be implemented over time to help it grow.

1 Like

And this is the very reason many are also voicing their concerns, not just because they can’t push any PMDG button yet:

Is the Flight Model of the MSFS 2020 realistic or do we need a completly rewrite? - #241 by CaptainRude91

Sorry @CptLucky8 , but that is a poor example. @anon50268670 determined after that post, that his sim was stuck in legacy mode for an unknown reason. The issues he described in a number of posts during that debacle, were corrected when he managed to cycle the system out of Legacy and back to Modern.

While there are some subtle modelling issues with some of the aircraft in the sim, as long as the pilot is flying well within the normal flight regime, the accuracy is significant. I have spent a lot of time testing parameters against real flight and have found some issues with drag inaccuracies and inaccurate power in some aircraft. Some flap and spoiler lift and reaction inaccuracies in others. Some have very good stall and spin characteristics and some will do loops when they shouldn’t, but that is getting well outside the normal flight envelope and is poorly modelled even in multi million dollar sims. (I was able to do snap rolls and even a recoverable inverted flat spin in a DH Dash-8 full motion simulator)

Yes, some of the math used to achieve flight in the sim is questionable. Centre of Pressure vs Centre of Gravity, total lack of control pressure modelling, etc. Those odd algorithms allow for pseudo accurate normal flight but return some very odd responses when pushing the outside edges of the envelope.

For the 90 percentile of sim pilots, the flight model is accurate ‘enough’ at this point to give a close approximation of “real as it gets” flight. For some of us that want to relive our glory days in the Pitts it has been pretty hit and miss. I suggest, don’t attempt to knife edge the 320 over Brighton Beach crowds and you will find that the flight model performs admirably, most of the time.

I have only discussed the flight model in this post. I have NOT touched on systems on purpose. They are not related and not really in the conversation when discussing the base aircraft. They were never meant to have full systems modelling. That will come from the third party folks.

4 Likes

Correct, its day and night difference! I still have to do some more testing, I have only had 3 off days so far this month :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@willisxdc @anon50268670
Thank you for the correction! Does it mean most of the issues you’re reporting in the OP @anon50268670 are now corrected?

update:
@willisxdc I see you’ve amended your post with more information since I posted this question.

I see what you mean with with the million dollars simulators: I used to guest participate quite a few times in an airliner’s LevelD 737-400 simulators and doing barrel rolls was a funny moment (usually in between the 2x 2 hours sessions). It was also fun to try landing the 737-400 on the aircraft carrier situated near Monaco… with a strong head wind you could manage :rofl:

1 Like

@anon50268670 @CptLucky8
Sorry, I should have finished my thought before clicking reply. Please read my completed response above.

2 Likes

The sensitivity issue is definitely corrected, I didn’t properly test the rest yet but its feels a lot better now its actually set to modern flight model.

The atmosphere is definitely too smooth, no turbulence, gusts or anything unless flying really close to obstructions at high wind speed.

3 Likes

Pretty much my feeling too. I can’t find any challenge flying any aircraft in the game, landings too predictable and easy regardless of the wind for example. The main issue I see is that it can imprint bad habits. It is the same issue with emulated (instead of authentically simulated) avionics where you could find yourself distracted in flight IRL when the real device is not working the same way you got used to in the game.

3 Likes