Raymarched reflections

I think it’s even more annoying than that in VR. I have a pretty big latency between my head movement and reflections. Reflections follow the movement with something like half a second late, which mean it take several frames > 15/20 at 45fps locked) to stabilize when you stop moving, and that in all direction. I agree I have now to set them OFF in VR. Possibly the problem is the same on monitor, I didn’t check, but the greater fps and the fact you don’t move your head like in VR, may minimize the problem…

I checked with the monitor. It’s significantly better because of the lack of movement.

Even with a high frame rate in VR, the motion being not synchronized with the actual head motion makes it awful like you described.
I came to the conclusion (possibly incorrect) that the root cause is an angle miscalculation with the head movement in VR - thus, the projected raymarched reflection is improperly placed.

Anyhow, like other issues, I guess Asobo will fix it in an upcoming update. Until then, I have to turn them off as it’s way too disturbing in VR.

2 Likes

In some contexts, avoid higher levels for Raymarched reflections.

This afternoon, I landed ICON-A5 on the water, when I put a sundawn time (early morning) and put settings on Ultra to prepare the screenshot, I saw this

These black wing shadows ! A complete spoiler ! Ok it’s supposed to be a shadow or a reflection ? and this pixelation… let’s switch the Raymarching off, I see this,

Also very bad… you can’t see any effect (shadow or reflection) on the water, the aircraft seems to be cut in half.

Ok, let’s set Raymarched reflections to Medium, there we are… :slight_smile:

Of course, this is a special case. But it shows that Raymarched reflections are sometimes overdone, too much black seems to be reflected. The wing underneath is black (in its own shadow), so you see a black object reflecting in the water. That reflection should not be too prominent.

3 Likes

I have this exact issue. If i turn it off its gone
But the quality reduce is bad

I’m on NVidia DLSS the new update
Beta 10

DX12 beta

Can you help

All my settings are ultra high

It’s irritating to see the on screen build up of those shadows and dark reflection on water

I was flying golden gate bridge and the whole bridge is reflected terribly

Please guide or help as soon as you can
This is super terrible a game 2 years into development why are we paying for it?
Are we testers or users?

Thanks

I have posted issues but never have i got a single reply from The Game Developers.

Please help

What happens if you turn the DLSS thing off ? Also you may want to experiment with the MSFS shadows and anti-aliasing settings. DLSS is known to affect anti-aliasing. Take into account DLSS is a self-learning system, that makes up its own pixels between lines. That could cause artefacts when shadows don’t have the same lighting angle as trained. DLSS hasn’t been around for too long doing MSFS, maybe it requires regular updates. Make sure you keep that thing up to date, else it will spoil newer scenery.

And yes, we are all testers. This is a 10 year project, MSFS will require some patience… but the nice thing about paying for it: the updates are free, also the world updates. I downloaded 100 Gigs of artwork and aircraft, since I installed it in 2020 october…

As for real answers… this is a very old topic, maybe it would be better to put your question separately, as you’re running the newest version. Make sure you post pictures and describe what is going wrong.

Someone know what’s about the reflection cutting where the plane is?

That’s a common flaw with Raymarch reflections. DCS has this too with their SSLR.

1 Like

Ok thanks!

Wait this is weird :smiley:

Should definitely not happen this way exactly. :smiley:

[The part that’s not weird is that the hillside that’s obscured by the plane in the source rendering will be ‘missing’ in the reflection. The part that is weird is that of the plane, only the prop’s hub cover is reflected, the rest of it is missing so leaves a much larger hole than expected. Definitely a bug of some kind.]

1 Like

Yes, there’s a geometry error there. The reflections are applied AFTER the scene is rendered. So, since the plane obscures the hillside, there is no hillside to relect in that spot. However, the graphics pipeline mistakenly thinks the hub is part of the hillside, so it gets reflected.

After a little reading, I might speculate that the hub issue is related to the transparency affects in the prop animation. Buy, I’m no graphics programmer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure why the props was showing since I wasn’t that close to the water. My problem was more about the mountain reflection disappearing under the aircraft like if the sim kinda simulate a reflection that doesn’t exist yet (too high to show in the water).

1 Like

That… sounds right to me too. :smiley:

Mystery solved-ish. :wink: Base problem is still just with how reflections are done in screenspace, it was just a weird angle and the prop hub threw me off. :wink:

1 Like

Bug pinpointed anyway. Whether they can fix it is another story. That’s a great screenshot. Lots going on there.

2 Likes

This is just how Screen Space Reflections (SSR) works. It only mirrors whats visible.
Old and bad technology, but it is very easy on the performance compared to RayTracing.

1 Like

I think there is progress on this raymarched reflection thing but not shure about it
I have noticed and it wowed me after i manually changed my cubemap reflection in usercfg.opt
I upped it to 512 instead of 256, all became noticable sharper brighter and more clear in any reflection way that i could find.
Any where on the plane outside and windshields or reflective texture like water
And also i noticed that there are some changes (but i do not know how it works excactly
and if it has to do with beta or not), on how it is processed.
It shows clearly when panning while look at reflective water mass near shore.

1 Like

The cubemap reflection will affect things like the clouds, which are applied as a postprocessing effect and don’t quite participate in the raymarched reflections that use the depth buffer.

Thanks for responding @Vibstronium

Did not know that cubemap are for those but they sure look good
But what with water refections and panning it used to get some ugly fade but lately it seems
It has changed with dark line when panning down some white glossy when panning up not only as head moving but also with pitch up or dow bringing in or out the texture for the reflection in the water and i must say that it looks good this way

1 Like