Realistic Dangerous Weather - Physics Simulation

I don’t remember specific in-cloud turbulence.

What I do remember was that flying through a cloud would reduce your airspeed, as if clouds had the consistency of treacle.

It would be nice if up and downdrafts were accurately modeled too, updrafts where there’s convecting air, generally around the outer edges, and downdrafts where there’s significant rain, generally around the center of the cloud/cell

3 Likes

After watching the live stream, I would also conclude that Seb didn’t really understand the question completely. Personally, in three years, through all the SUs, I have never once experienced in cloud turbulence that differentiated from the general overall turbulence, in live wx, in any aircraft. I’ve only experienced overall general turbulence.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried REX Skyforce, I have heard it improves in-cloud turbulence and apparently has better accuracy with Metars

There is no REX Sky Force for MSFS, there is REX Weather Force but it doesn’t add in-cloud turbulence. It’s METAR depiction is indeed better over the airport but then you have the same weather everywhere and it cripples your FPS if you don’t enable Instant Weather Load, which disables the smooth transitions. So in my opinion it’s just good as a backup for when MSFS Live Weather has problems, which is not rare.
They say there will be an update on December 14th though, let’s see what that will change.

I doubt that they can make any changes to the core simulation, as far as I know the ‘‘core physics’’ regarding weather are pretty much untouchable.

Otherwise we would have plenty of ‘‘improvement mods’’.

2 Likes

FYI, there is an existing bug report regarding cloud turbulence and it is “bug-logged”. So hopefully the changes they talked about in the Dev stream and planned for SU15 is to attend this one.

There is another bug report for cloud density that I also hope will be attended but it affects the cloud transparency issue and not the turbulence one. Even if maybe a correlation should exist between density and turbulence, as of today I don’t think that logic is implemented (see some tests performed in some above posts) maybe they should think about it.

It’s what they call ‘‘thermals’’ , it’s definitely corresponding to cloud density.
And these thermal updrafts are getting more and more with higher cloud density.
That’s why we don’t see them very much in live weather, because the density is in general way too low. Even if the clouds are looking big and dark, they still have very low density.

However there are no downdrafts, it’s just the updraft direction mix which is simulating some kind of turbulence, which is very far off from reality.

full test is here

7 Likes

My hopes & wishes for 2024:

• adjust the cloud density in live weather to be more realistic / higher
  • improvement/ implementation of the promised ‘‘25km CFD’’ simulation
  • down draft simulation for the thermals (currently missing)
  • change this topic to ‘‘planned MSFS 2024’’
    • hurricanes were teased, If this is not just some sort of arcade gimmik implementation this topic should be listed as started or at least planned. ‘‘under investigation’’ wouldn’t make any sense anymore :slight_smile:

PS: Thanks everybody for reaching 500+ votes in 2023 :smiley:
I wish you all nice holidays and a happy new year! :sparkler:

18 Likes

So nearly 500 votes. When is this getting implemented

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem like this is going to be addressed per the January 31 Live Development! Lots of good things coming with SU15 which is exciting but the weather stuff are not included! Sad to have a flight sim with no cloud turbulence when using live weather! It appeared that they intentionally ignored this subject …

5 Likes

Yeah, tried to spam a question abt in-cloud turbulence in live-WX, but was ignored as usual :wink:

Sure hope they fix this together with better gusts and up-/downdrafts in msfs2024. Given up for an improvement for msfs2020.

4 Likes

Yeah! Seb basically ignored the question when they asked about cloud opacity also and pretended that it was the first time he had heard of it while in the last live development session he had mentioned that he will look into live weather cloud density …

7 Likes

Bizarre. Also, the wish list item on live weather cloud density has been removed. Not sure if it was merged elsewhere or what happened.

1 Like

It hasn’t been removed, it was merged into another Wishlist topic that also encompassed the problem, it actually now has over 700 votes!

2 Likes

Good to see, thanks!

1 Like

Seb addressed the lack of cloud turbulence issue extensively in the Live Developer update for March! They actually used the question I had submitted. They are working on it (in the backlog). He said, it’s about 2 weeks worth of work! So they are aware and are working to hopefully make it better!

11 Likes