[Recorded Flight Thread] Sharing recorded flights for fun, training, and learning. Share yours here!

I hadn’t used any of my replay addons much until someone suggested that we can share our recorded flight files with each other! Then others can ride along, take over, learn from us, or give us valuable feedback!

This isn’t about sharing a video of your flight. This is about being able to load up someone else’s flight in the sim, sitting in the cockpit or cabin or on the wing, watching the control inputs, and enjoying the ride, looking where you want (especially in VR), learning from a great landing, or giving feedback to someone who is trying learn a skill.

I think this ability is absolutely fantastic. While not as good for training as a “shared cockpit” via JoinFS or YourControls or something like that, this allows us to share flights that others can enjoy or critique on their own schedule, not needing to sync up with us on our schedule. And for sharing your especially epic flight with others, how much better is it that they can sit in the co-pilot seat (even in VR) and “watch” your epic flight while experiencing it themselves!

I think we can share whatever replay files will work. So far, I’ve been using the freeware Flight Recorder because…well…it’s free so anybody can load it and load my file. At least for this utility, the files are relatively small, about 1MB per minute. We can use custom planes or not because whoever loads the file can use whatever similar (or not) plane they want. We can suggest custom scenery but whoever loads the flight doesn’t need it.

This is all relatively simple to do.

One person just records a flight and shares the file here. The biggest hassle there is that the forums, as far as I know, have a size limit of less than 5MB and only allow a handful of known file extensions. So, you have to share with a link to google drive or dropbox or something like that. In your post, you just specify which replay program you used to record and provide the link to the file. Optionally, you can say which plane you used, what weather and time you used or recommend, and what you hope to get out of this (just likes, or feedback for training, or others learning from a special technique, or whatever).

The reader of the post downloads the file if it is from a replay utility that they have, starts the sim, gets ready for the replay by doing whatever the utility requires (like being “ready to fly” with the engine running), and then loads and plays the file. Most utilities that I know of allow pausing, moving forward and back, etc. And the really cool part is that you can sit in the pilot seat, the co-pilot seat, the cabin, or wherever you can move your camera. You can see when the original pilot adjusted their throttle or lowered the flaps or whatever. You can change the weather. And, in some utilities at least, you can pause/stop the replay and take over the controls – perhaps trying to match the original pilot’s especially epic landing!

Let’s see if we can turn this into a megathread. :slight_smile:

NOTE: Probably best to turn off damage when using a replay, especially if you use a different plane that might not have it’s wheels exactly on the ground when it is landed.

2 Likes

Here is a very short one to get us started (just a few minutes).

WHAT: A landing in a xCub near Devil’s Tower in Wyoming.

WHICH RECORDER: The freeware Flight Recorder.
https://flightsim.to/file/8163/flight-recorder

WHY AM I SHARING: First of all, it’s beautiful, but that’s just MSFS 2020. Mostly I would like feedback on my approach and landing. The landing itself was much smoother than 95% of my landings. But, did I get too close to stall on the way down? Was I too far off center? Was my touchdown speed too high and, if so, what should I have done about it?

THE FILE: xcub_tundra_WY14_landing_2021_05_28.flightrecorder - Google Drive

THE PLANE I USED (for best realism for you): Freeware xCub Tundra from Bush League Legends.
Bush League Legends - MSFS Aircraft

WHERE, WHEN, WEATHER (just for reference, it doesn’t really matter): I used 0900 local time, with some variation of “scattered clouds” or WPP Big and Bold. I will land at WY14, but you can be “ready to fly” with your engine running anywhere in the world (as far as I know). When you load and run the replay file, you will be taken to where I started recording (in the air).

OPTIONAL SCENERY: Freeware Devil’s Tower, Wyoming.
https://flightsim.to/file/186/devil-s-tower

IMPORTANT NOTE: It is best to TURN OFF DAMAGE, especially if you’re not using the same plane as I did.

I know this isn’t a long fun flight but it gets our feet wet and starts us off easy. Give me feedback on it if you want and, more importantly, SHARE YOU FLIGHT FILES! :slight_smile:

I always record my full flight, that can be accessed from these playlists:

Airbus A320neo Full Flight Series (MSFS 2020)
Airbus A330-300 Full Flight Series (MSFS 2020)
Microsoft Flight Simulator

That’s a great list of videos!

But the recorded flights we’re talking about here are not videos on YouTube but are files that allow you to do the flight again in the sim. So, if you shared a recorded replay file of one of your flights, I could load it up in the sim, sit in the co-pilot seat and go along for the flight you went on, looking at the scenery and controls that I want to look at, no longer limited by what is shown on the screen in a YouTube video. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohh, sorry, I thought you meant video recording…