Reducing FOV for performance, +40-100% fps, playable at 36fps without scaling with mid end card and quest 2 via link, does not really reduce FOV on device

Edit: actually I’m not sure if this is reducing FOV at all for me, it looks like it’s avoiding the game to render some pixels that are not displayed in my FOV anyways (quest 2 via oculus link, no steamvr)

Edit 2: i can confirm that this is not reducing fov while looking straight for me, if i compare the fov on my oculus with what’s being shown on screen, the 2d screen is rendering a much wider FOV than my oculus when I don’t modify the FOV on the oculus, reducing the FOV makes it so the FOV on the mirror scene matches my oculus scene, but it makes it more likely for reprojection to work smoothly when moving my head quickly

The Bang for the buck guide has a lot of details on how to get more FPS in msfs2020, however, I still couldn’t get consistent 30+ fps on my 2060 max-q g14 laptop. I haven’t read about this trick anywhere so I’m sharing it, maybe it’s VR heresy but it was a game-changer for me.

I ended up reducing the FOV on my oculus quest 2 to 0.7x (Oculus debug tools → FOV - Tangent multiplier), and now I get stable 45+ fps on my laptop at 80% render scaling.

I need to press ctrl tab twice after changing the setting for this to be picked up in the game.

This was a game-changer for me, I can barely tell the 0.7x FOV reduction after a while, and it reduces pixels the GPU has to crunch by half, I think it’s a better tradeoff than decreasing the resolution scaling by 0.7x. Peripheral vision still feels immersive IMHO when you look ahead.

I’m really optimistic about devs being able to figure out some optimizations like aggressive Fixed Foveated Rendering that reduces FOV in the game that could bring VR to folks without gtx1080+.

7 Likes

I regret I don’t have anything helpful to add, just happy to hear you’re running VR great on a 2060 maxq laptop. I have the 2080S maxq in my laptop, and really hadn’t considered VR until I saw your post. So, thanks so much for sharing!!

I just tried this out on my 1660ti laptop and i was really surprised with the result! At .75 I was hitting 36 using my usual low settings, and at 100 scale! Thanks for the tip!!!

2 Likes

Awesome! I’m curious about whether you’ve noticed downsides from going this. It feels great to me but I guess this is not just “free fps”.

I have mine a 0.7 for now, I was just in the a320 and noticed the black bars on edges but only if I use the camera translation to reposition myself more toward the back of the cockpit. Actually I noticed the default seat position on most of the planes are a little off since using this. It’s really nothing that’s not easily fixed.
Other than that it’s been a real.game changer for me. I just tested doing loops around my town in the diamond DV20, was getting 21fps at fov 1:1,TAA,100 scale, and most settings high. I switched to fov 0.7:0.7 and touched nothing else and instant smooth 36fps. Gauges a little blurred but readible, zero edge bars or loss of FOV, scenery looks incredible!
So for me, to go from 21 to 36 fps, it makes VR go from being jittery laggy and unbearable, to me grinning like a kid on Christmas morning!
I’m surprised more people don’t do this, especially on lower end graphics cards. I’ve been trying to get smooth VR since the update, using both steamvr and oculusxr, and this is the best visually and smoothest I have been able to get!

2 Likes

Very nice find! Do you know if this is possible with the Rift CV1?

Do you set this before starter Oculus service and MSFS up or during?

After usage does the tangent multiplier setting persist?

I set it with the game running and oculus running, but I need to do ctrl tab twice to enter and exit vr for the change to pick up. I’m not sure if this is a quest issue or not, maybe it works with the rift.

I think it persist while oculus service is open, and the oculus menu itself doesn’t work well while FOV tangent modifier is set

1 Like

Awesome, I’m actually suspecting that this is not just about FOV in vr but about this particular game rendering pixels that don’t really fit in the headset scene on the oculus somehow, 0.7x looks horribly cropped in other games and the main menu (square borders), but this game seems to use all of the screen at 0.75x

2 Likes

Agreed, I was reading a post on a DCS forum last night about this.

I don’t understand how it works, I just know it works for me!

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this. It really works. :slight_smile: at 0.7 you forget about the black bars after a while and It runs much better. I will try different settings for vertical/horizontal an see what happens. Maybe we can crop the top and bottom and have something more like a widescreen effect, could feel more natural.

1 Like

To be clear, if i set this to 0.8 I’m not able see a black bar at all. (Closed one eye and look around the border)

1 Like

I will try 0.8. I could see all bars (top bottom and sides) at 0.7… feels like looking through a window.

0.5 should be fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I’m pretty convinced that this is not actually reducing fov in my oculus screen at 0.75x, if I don’t decrease FOV i can peek through my nose and see that the scene on my laptop mirror is much much wider, and a big part of the scene is NOT REALLY BEING DISPLAYED ON THE OCULUS. after using the tangent multiplier the mirror scene is as wide as the oculus scene.
It does seem like this wider FOV works like a buffer for reprojection and narrowing fov like this makes it more likely to see black borders when rotating my head, which sounds fine as i don’t do sudden movements in the simulator, i commonly see these borders on 0.7x but never on 0.8x which is still a 50% increase in FPS

1 Like

Gave this a go today with H0.78, V0.72.
I could increase ingame TAA60->80 and Oculus Pixel Density 1.2 -> 1.4 and get the same performance!
This is brilliant!

Furthermore I had other tips to try, like decreasing ASW more from 30 to 18 FPS, which meant I could bounce up the PD to 1.7. It’s so much more clear and pleasant now.

I can barely see the black edges and In sure I’ll forget them soon enough so it’s really not an issue. And yes, FOV at 0.85 with my CV1 = Free performance as the bars are not visible unless I rotate my head quickly.

Still tweaking and figuring out what to do with all that extra performance lol. First I tried simply enjoying the extra smoothness in terms of extra frame rates, but I’m quite affected by jitters/stutters when translating my head (rotating head is smooth) from the ASW. It seems I can’t get rid of the stutters for now so I might as well bump up the quality instead of frames.

3 Likes

It is probably a buffer. Could be also related to different IPDs, not sure. This tip is really good and works well. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi there! i am using the OTT Oculus Tray Tool 0.86.9.0, there you can put all entrys of the debug tool and it persists after using. I use the “Start with Windows” Option.
With DSS 1.2, 45Hz forced, GPU Scaling On, Mirror FOV Multiplier 0.7, 0.7 (same as Tangent Multiplier) i get about 38fps within 140% Render Scaling. This Setup brings me back the happines of smoothly flying VR :wink:

3 Likes

Awesome. Do you mind sharing your system specs and headset model? Which Nvidia driver?

1 Like

Oculus Quest 2 256GB, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, AMD Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT 8GB,
It was hard work to find the best performance for me.
on top i reduce the Terrain Level of Detail to 40%, this give me more FPS without loosing too much graphics

2 Likes

Thanks a lot.

1 Like