Reflections look grainy, even if reflections are on ultra

Additionally, I prefer not to use TAA as it plays havoc with my eyes, so I have that turned off and have applied FXAA twice, once in the settings and again using Nvida Ansel. I have also used a couple of other filters in Ansel to bring out more detail. Overall, I feel like I have brought back a lot of that magic that I saw when the sim was launched, but not quite the same due to the grain. High altitude scenery also looks worse now. I’ll post some examples another time, as it took from 02:30am to 19:30 just to get the re-install done (a very painful story that I will spare you from). Here’s a shot of a modded Guernsey Airport to show the sharpness when you avoid TAA and use funky double FXAA.
![Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.12.05 - 19.47.49.50|690x388]
(upload://iE6nzTViNLo0a3SYGS09dulVn73.jpeg)

Could you perhaps, pretty please, do a tutorial on what you did and explain Nvidia Ansel?

Much appreciated,
Jim

I also noticed this but I thought it was caused by my average Pc specs.
As far as I know it has been like this before the previous update. I up-voted this topic and await further simmers who have the same issue.
I also agree with CooganBear not to mess with files and let Asobo take care of this.

2 Likes

Status update after a full clean reinstall—my attempt was in the hopes that a previous update had conflicted with a new one and a clean install would smooth this out…NO JOY.

The grainy reflections on the shiny surfaces remain, I’m very disappointed in Asobo that no one spotted this very obvious disaster when testing their updates. If any of them wind up reading this…please fix this issue as your top priority to how it previously was. At this point being a GA VFR guy I fly for the visuals and have zero desire to until it’s fixed.

This now reminds me of my clunky FSX where I had to tweak for days to get right. I’m sure I can speak for many of us long time Simmers. We are rather tired of tweaking, ESPECIALLY with a brand new sim.

I’d really like to see the ability for Asobo to give us the option to revert to previous updates as desired. That way if a new update turns out like the Hindenburg we can abort until it’s rectified.

If you are using an Nvidia GPU, hold “Alt+Z” for the in-game overlay and click “Game Filter”, or access the Ansel filters directly by pressing “Alt+F3”. With the Game Filter overlay loaded, click on the “+” icon to add a new filter to your game, and again to stack more filters.

water reflections are incredibly grainy/fuzzy. particularly bad under bridges.

everything looks great but this issue if really putting a negative on the sim for me, and i know a lot more people have this issue.

1 Like

just found your post after creating my own! this issue seriously needs to be resolved. looks so horrific in places. whatever you do dont go near sydney opera house! the water reflections their seem particularly bad for me.

1 Like

I dunno, I don’t see any issues in your screenshot. Those grains are the ripples themselves.

I’d rather have the devs fix the airplanes first then the scenery. The airplanes need their flight models and systems fixed. Right now, we can’t do a basic ILS landing consistently and I think that should take precedence over any other fix…or enhancement including them workingh on the Xbox version. They should at least get basic procedures to work with these planes before all the eye-candy enhancements.

1 Like

Or they could do both because they have a large team capable of working on all aspects of the simulator. And that’s just what they’re doing. ILS landings are important to you, but elements of the graphics are more important to other folks, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Seems to be a duplicate of this thread. Please upvote that one.

The Feedback Snapshot used to say that this will be fixed with the DirectX 12 update, but now it just says “TBD”. They are working on it as we speak, but no ETA on the fix yet.

Also it should be mentioned that this does not only affect water reflections, but also reflections on the aircraft, on the hangar floor and more.

You’re right. There likely should be almost no visible reflection there at all but when Asobo toned down the water reflections a while back they reverted it. I assume because of the complaints that the water was not reflecting like a millpond all over the world, which of course is completely unrealistic.

Some of us want realistic and some want pretty like what a photographer can create with careful planning and especially calm waters. Asobo seem to be continually torn about which camp they are supporting so they often annoy both. Sigh.

The image isn’t a bad compromise though. At least it doesn’t look the water with waves on it is a mirror because that is really bad looking and just completely unrealistic.

I doubt it. Right now Asobo can’t seem to abe able to release a patch that works even with the “large team” you speak of. I think they should take one bite at time…important items first…get the airplane simulation correct then everything else.

1 Like

This is graphic engine issue and definitely not being work on by the people who are working on airplane simulation. It doesn’t really matter if the team is big or small, those will be taken care of by different people. Right now graphic engine team is working on DX12 for both Xbox, Raytracing and performance improvement, so hopefully we will see some change with the Xbox release.

1 Like

It’s been like this for months, only solution is to turn reflections off which I did as it can be distracting. Pixelated clouds are also an issue but that is more recent issue, no solution as yet for that

Although it is a pain I do echo comments regarding fixing planes first.

Pixelated cloud is an issue from day 1. Asobo has been doing something with it, and that seems to help with some configuration, while popping up the issue on another configuration.

Looks like it has gotten worse since release. I played back in August/September and then didn’t play until last week. When I started the game again, the runways and airplanes looked much more pixelated.

Yup, same issue for me. Doesn’t get better with any update. I think I’ve had it since the 2nd update maybe? Long time anyways. No matter what setting I use it’s the same deal. I’ve erased and re-downloaded graphics and display drivers, I’ve deleted and reloaded MSFS, changed all my settings from low all the way to ultra, no change. I’ve submitted to zendesk but haven’t heard anything back yet.

Hi,

Would like to know if I understood everything ; Dev’s says that this will be solved whit DX12 Ultimate implementation.

I run MFS2020 on a Nvidia GPU RTX 2080 (DX12 Ultimate compatible) with last Nvidia Drivers but grainy is always there.

Is DX12 Ultimate already implemented in MFS2020 or to come and when ?

No, the simulator is currently utilising a DirectX 11 render path. The DirectX 12 update will come with the Xbox launch, Summer 2021.

1 Like