RegDesigns - CYYZ Toronto Pearson Intl' Airport

Looks like Flytampa just released their CYYZ, man oh man they REALLY must’ve felt the pressure. Looking forward to hearing the comparisons.

https://www.flytampa.org/cyyz.html

2 Likes

9900K RTX3090 64GB G-Skill B-Dies Lets do this. 1st we go in at Full Ultra, RS 145 on 3440x1440 = 4987x2988 Terrain LOD 4.5 Objects LOD 7.0. The objects LOD won’t change through this, only terrain LOD. Enter AS CRJ 700 with a full boat of Community Folder AI Traffic with Aerosoft tool etc.

Now to the tarmac, these pics will show the terrain LOD wind down from 4.5 with corresponding pics

EDIT: This is a win!!!

Cool! Looks very nice.

Visually, it’s stunning. Easily one of the most gorgeous and detailed airports I’ve seen for MSFS so far.

But drops me from 50+ fps with default scenery to under 10 fps. Basically it’s unusable for me. And I’m running a Ryzen 5950X, 64GB of 3600MHz RAM and a 2080.

It’s a shame. But as it stands, it’s a waste of money.

2 Likes

Thanks, that made my decision. I’ve been burnt by iniScene EGLL which looks quite good and certainly better than Asobo’s but it’s plainly unusable on my machine with fps in the 10s. That’s on a 2D screen, I didn’t even dare to try VR.

I could lower settings considerably but then I could play FSX as well.

Removed it. :sob:

Just re-checked and no issues with FPS on my system. Taxi’d all around the gates, taxiways and runways. ~58FPS (everything on Ultra) and ~48FPS when I popped my panels out.

Ryzen 9 5950X, 128GB of 3466MHz RAM and a 3090.

There’s one comparison video out but it’s pretty generic at the moment, will be interesting to see one from FilbertFlies or another youtuber who does more indepth between the FlyTampa one and RegDesigns.

Some good news

1 Like

Agree with this! In VR, my PC freezes on approach. I’ve not seen a scenery this hard on FPS since Orbx TE in XP11. Unusable right now. There is no refund policy, so only option is to uninstall or try it in 2d. I talked to REG on Discord and they said they will soon release a performance update that may help in VR. I am hopeful. The other airport CNC4 (which came for free) works well.

Removing the RomanDesigns freeware Toronto pack helps fps a bit, but only 5-10 fps. That doesn’t help the stutters and pauses though. It’s still a stuttery mess with some long pauses of several seconds where everything just freezes completely. Quite literally it’s unusable.

I have my settings balanced between being main thread and GPU limited. With CYYZ, my GPU is 100% used and I’m consistently GPU limited.

With the high quality of the visuals, I’m guessing this was developed and tested by folks with top tier (3080Ti+) video cards with more than 8GB of VRAM and not optimized for more realistic hardware that others may have.

1 Like

At @Crunchmeister71 request, I loaded back into YYZ and checked the dedicated memory usage. Just loading in I was at 12.8GB used, after touring aorund awhile in and out of terminal areas, taxiways, runways, etc… I was averaged 20.4GB used.

All settings on Ultra with 400LOD. (3090).

This would line up with Crunch’s theory on the GPU’s and the airport not being optomized and in turn unusable for anyone with low VRAM.

What’s the size of the texture folder for this add-on?

This seems to be a common theme for a lot of add-ons being released lately.

“Normal” VRAM. lol.

About 7% of people (according to Steam Hardware Survey Jan 2022) have more than 8GB. 2.4% being 11GB in the 1080Ti and 2080Ti, leaving only 4.6% of users having over 11GB. Literally, 0.76% of people in the Steam Survey have enough VRAM to run this airport properly with over 12GB VRAM.

70% of users have 6GB or less.

Not sure atm as I’m not at home. But the ZIP file download was something like 1.5GB if I remember correctly. I could be mistaken. But it was huge.

1 Like

Texture folder is 6.64GB, overall add-on is 13GB.

lol that’s fair.

Yeah, you’re not normal. But I think you already know that. lol

1 Like

Wow! That seems excessive for just one airport.

To compare, SamScene’s NYC texture folder is around 1.3 or 1.5 gb if I remember correctly. For an entire city!

It’s nice to have all of these interiors modeled, but honestly, how many people are actually spending lots of time with the drone camera in terminals? Seems a waste of computer resources for what should be a “flight” simulator.

1 Like

Nice view from the tower!

Nice to know others are experiencing this issue and not just me. I also get a lot of stutters and also my frames drop as well quite a bit. I also noticed the freezes where it locks up for 30 seconds. This isn’t happening anywhere else only at CYYZ.

Good day everyone!

We are well aware of the performance drops on our scenery. Sim update 8 did not help with it either. Hang on tight! We are already working on an update to fix performance AND textures/glass. In addition, we are setting up a ticket system to help fix bugs etc.

To follow the development, feel free to join our discord!

Previews:

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. We are here listening and working hard for a major update.

-Darwin [RegDesigns]

12 Likes

This is how to do customer service / communications. Very impressive.

3 Likes