Regression: DLSS3 Frame Generation with vsync broken in 1.30.9 (with fixed refresh rate monitor)

I was getting hopeful as I noticed that the plugin file “sl.dlss_g” has in fact changed versions but unfortunately using the old version on 1.30.9 just greys out the frame generation option in MSFS

Try turning on Triple Buffering in NVCP as well as VSYNC=ON, I did this at the weekend as well as coming off the Beta and I am pretty happy with it now - still a tiny bit of lag compared to the excellent DX11 MSFS application controlled VSYNC, but barely noticeable now.

I dont believe that is doing anything for you, the NVCP triple buffering option is for OpenGL applications only. It was likely coming off the Beta that made the difference.

Well, hope you get to experience that again. May be it doesn’t bother me because I am so used to minor stutters here and there. And with complex airports and heavy ai traffic add-ons, there’s no way i can avoid minor cpu stutters.

Does the Reflex option not have any effect at all on the latency?

I was thinking of getting a 4070ti for the DLSS 3 but you are not filling me with confidence:-)

Been watching Chewwy94 on twitch and he is loving his new 4090. He has his locked to 60 as his monitor is only 60hz

There is little to no latency in the current beta build + newest Nvidia driver. As discussed this is an introduction of slight stuttering due to the fact that the mainthread is tied to the render frame time. Its really not that bad but certainly not as smooth as it was before.

Let’s put it this way, if you are mostly cpu limited, DLSS3 is great even without high framerates. It increases the latency a bit. But in flight sim this is not that noticable. If it was twitch shooter on the other hand, things would be different which the most DLSS3 reviews suggest. But if you are cpu limited, by nature sometimes it causes a noticable stutter, but that’s there even without dlss3. But that’s not too bad usually if you have VRR and vsync. The OP is sensitive to the lower smoothness and asking about that.
Having said that, as op has differing experience across differing builds, and since dlss3 is evolving, things may change, hopefully for the better.

As @WarnersWorld and @AbhishekDey1594 have said DLSS 3 or Frame Generation in normal use is a wonderful technology and only introduces a small lag which is not relevant to a flight sim - a “shoot-em-up” type game and it may be noticeable.

The “issue” I’m highlighting in this thread is to do with using DLSS 3 with vsync but with G-SYNC disabled - my preferred way. This is not an ‘official’ way to run DLSS 3 as nvidia for some reason requires G-SYNC to be enabled along with vsync. However, a workaround which I was using to circumvent this limitation no longer works in this beta build.

So please don’t let this thread put you off DLSS 3 unless you’re hyper-sensitive to stutter like me!

Moved to #bugs-and-wishlist:performance

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes
Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

rtx4090
If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

Having the same problem here. I hope that they solve the problem.

1 Like

It’s clearly not a universal problem because there don’t seem to many of us reporting it, and I see Twitch streamers at 60Hz VSYNC today with no problem.

1 Like

Whith frame generation enabled?

Yep, Chewwy94 was on the Beta with no issues (4090, FG, VSYNC 60Hz) and no problems today evidently.

1 Like

Well, as I see that takes the subject to another level. I’ve tried everything, reinstalling the game, reinstalling the graphics card drivers… nothing has improved. I keep testing with external software and have found something. By disabling Vsync, with unlimited FPS but setting the Riva server to 60FPS, the unstable FPS issues appear again. I hope some official developer comments here, because honestly, right now I have no other options to try.

1 Like

Riva tuner wont work to limit frames anymore. Either set vsync in nvcp or use the frame rate limiter . Both of these methods should work

But was he using a GSYNC monitor?

Edit: General note - it’s important to remember that with a GSYNC monitor then vsync in the control panel works. BUT it’s not the same smoothness as it simply force limits the fps to just below the monitor refresh rate. This is nowhere near as smooth as true vsync.

Hi everyone, had the same issue yesterday after updating FS2020: lots of stutters.
In Nvidia Control Panel, I set VSYNC on and limited frame rate also to 60 fps.
Stutters gone and back to smooth experience with frame generation on my RTX4090.
Did no test to remove the fps cap in Nvidia control panel to see if stutters would come back or not. Hope this helps some of you.

Yesterdays update caused stutters for you?
I can’t fix it, I have 4090 and it was butter smooth with frame generation but now it’s horrid.
I set vsync on in nvidia control panel but it’s like it’s not working.

1 Like

Did you also set Max Frame rate in Nvidia control panel as I mentioned before ? I have a 60hz monitor, vsync set to on in nvidia control panel, max frame rate set to 60 in nvidia control panel, vsync off in FS2020 settings.

1 Like