RELEASE: MilViz Corsair for MSFS

You’re right, the most efficient flying state for a wing is pointing a little up, and the velocity vector of the air hitting the wing is pushing it up (the whole “air moving fast over the top of the wing” is a misconception, if you do the math, it doesn’t work).

1 Like

3 Likes

Except we are flying the Corsair in a non combat sim. :wink:

2 Likes

You can keep making excuses but it doesn’t change the visual proof of multiple film footage and pictures. If they arn’t gonna change/fix it fine. I won’t buy anything else they make. Sad because the rest of the plane is pretty well done. Did they ever respond to why it’s modeled in only combat flying, and not just modeled as an aircraft with a trim control? This still doesn’t make sense. Anyway I’m sure this will be fixed by the community at some point. Thanks.

1 Like

Nose looks level and wings do appear to be tilted up in the front. Yet it Flys just fine IRL

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here, but, to the point of the argument

How do we know those planes aren’t climbing, or maybe even descending?
What do we know of the angle of the planes to the direction they are flying? Optical illusions are real, in fact, to me, the nose of the plane at the front (793 under the horizontal stabilizer) looks like its nose is pointing down, probably about 2 degrees, but it’s impossible to measure. There’s no way to measure the angle of the nose or wings from this photograph as there’s no absolute reference.

Well, maybe it’s not impossible. If we knew where the camera lens was, with respect to the formation, and what its focal length was and settings, and we could figure out some state of level from the clouds, and we took into account the distortion of the lens and effects of level from the camera to the planes, maybe we could calculate something. But looking at it without any of that… good luck.

I’m not making excuses. I’m asking questions. I’m looking for someone to scientifically explain what “nose level” means, at what speed does that happen and in what trim state at that speed? I’ll ask again, in your picture what has an angle of 9 degrees, and how did you measure it?

Personally, the Warriors I fly are pretty much always trimmed nose down to attain level flight. I have no idea how to measure the angle of the plane or the wings at that state, I just know that for level flight, I have to trim the nose slightly down, which only means the trim tab is not neutral with respect to its setup. I suppose I could move the trim wheel to “neutral” and measure the angle of the trim tab, and then measure it again in about the normal place I put it for level flight. But there’s no way I could measure the angle of the plane in flight. I could go on and on with examples of setting up the plane and getting it to fly at many different angles. I could set up the Warrior with the nose way up flying very slowly at the edge of stall without losing altitude.

As Colin said, there is a difference from the originally designed setup of the planes when manufactured, and how pilots set them up today. They’ve said they’ve worked with pilots and the real thing. They chose to set this plane up in its original configuration. So, that’s all there is.

Now, if the nose is 9 degrees as you say and not 2, then I suppose there could be an issue if the velocity, engine, and trim settings are the same when this angle was measured by both you and Milviz. But, that information is not here.

Power setting and airspeed will also affect an aircraft attitude in straight and level flight…

2 Likes

They first tried to tell me it’s my controller!!! That one was kinda funny but not. Now they say it’s supposed to be this way. Next they will say aerodynamics have changed over the last 70 years so the plane flys this way now.

Yes I agree. Sad

Yeah, that was ridiculous. I get why you’re upset over that.

2 Likes

Anyway $40 down the drain. No biggie. Not worth arguing or stressing. Just disappointed in what I thought was a good developer, and their responses to a real issue.

Here is a video of a P51 and a F4U flying level…. Notice the nose of the Corsair is pointing down as explained by BlackBird. Sorry, but I believe the developers over Hollywood CGI.

2 Likes

That video is off angle and from above. The corsair is not staying stable. Pitching up and down. But thanks for posting it. Happy flying

2 Likes

Just to clarify, the developer was the one who cited Hollywood CGI in this conversation.

I think there are a couple things concerning this discussion that just need to be put out there. First, it’s hard to deny that the Corsair does have an odd shape to it, especially from the side, that makes it appear nose-down even when it isn’t. The surface from the cockpit forward slopes down slightly, while the underside of the fuselage slopes up pretty aggressively behind the cockpit to the tail. Neither of these characteristics are all that uncommon, but when paired with how far the wings dip down from the fuselage, it makes the tail look really high up.

That being said, one thing that I do see with pictures and videos of IRL Corsairs flying is that the spot at the top rearmost part of the fuselage before the v-tail (the lowest point) almost always appears level with the top of the nose at the front. With the BB Corsair, this is most definitely not the case. While I can appreciate that Corsairs are trimmed out differently for modern flying, I am very skeptical about the notion that the effect would be as large as what we see in the sim with this addon. The other possibility is that there is something slightly off about the 3D model that is playing tricks on our eyes. Either way, I’m inclined to agree that something is off.

Below are side views of four different speeds/power settings:

2 Likes

We will revisit this by asking our Corsair pilot, yet again, if this is the way it’s supposed to be. If not, it will be fixed.

However, it needs to be said that, we’ve done this before in the P3D version…

3 Likes

Happy to test on xbox once we get WASM :smiley:

3 Likes

Why do you need a none mill trim? Apart from how it looks outside the plane. The military trim should give a better visibility won’t it?

2 Likes

Only, because this “military trim” looks weird in the outside view, and i don´t think, judged from real world pictures, this nose down in level flight is right.
No other plane looks like this.

3 Likes

There’s not many out there with a whopping great radial obscuring the view :sweat_smile: I’m all for realism and trust milviz will have done their homework to make it as authentic as possible.

Think I’m correct in thinking that’s why they had such a high amount of flap available aswell so they could get the nose right down for carrier landings.

2 Likes

The concern isn’t about wishing the engine was obscuring view; it’s about it being what looks like several degrees below the horizon at pretty much any speed other than right above stall speed.

I’m glad you brought up the flaps. While what you are saying is probably true for the the real aircraft, this addon doesn’t need any flaps for that purpose. The visibility is fantastic all the time, which to me is suspect.

1 Like