RELEASE: MilViz Corsair for MSFS

Well if anyone else has any suggestions I’m all ears.

Hard to suggest anything without the risk of sounding patronising tbh :wink: :heart:

I mean, it IS a tricky beast. And it needs constant inputs but not too much. Easy to panic and overreact.

My gut feeling is that you just don’t get enough “control separation” by having the rudder (twist) on the same hand and input as the ailerons and elevator. Hard to move one without moving the other. Or move both / all 3, but in different amount and directions precisely. It’s like patting your head and rubbing your tummy then swapping over. There is some cross-over of unwanted inputs :slight_smile:

But with practice I guess anything is possible.

2 Likes

Try removing most of the fuel. It’s super unstable when it’s heavy.

1 Like

T16000M user here.

I find landing easier than take off tbh. It’s a heavy beast, but seems solid in the landing profile once you get the hang of it. Maybe unlock the tailwheel when you start to slow down a little, could be why you have no control? Don’t jam the brakes on either, tap them repeatedly in short bursts to slow down, they can grab and swing you easily if you’re not prepared. It’s the mother of all tailtraggers, and even normal ones can bite if you don’t pay attention.

For take off:
Make sure you set the trims correctly for take off and progressively apply power as you ramp up the speed before bringing the tail up. Stick is a little in the bottom right quadrant to start with (if you visualize the control inputs as a square looking down with neutral the center), and as you gain speed you migrate to center/forward as the tail comes up. Works for me!

• Take off 
	○ Lock the Tail Wheel  Shift G
	○ 6 degrees right rudder trim ww2 F4U training film
	○ 6 degrees right aileron trim - right wing down ww2 F4U training film
	○ Elevator tab 1 degree nose up ww2 F4U training film
	○ Advance throttle SLOWLY to Full power
	○ Keep the stick back w slight right rudder to compensate as needed like Issues: Take Off Veering
	○ CTRL 0 to reset rudder trim

ww2 F4U training film

There is another method to stand on the brakes, power up, release, and raise the tail quite quickly but that’s a carrier method for when you have more experience.
You can see a bunch of them doing it here.
I think they have further modified the flight model too.

2 Likes

Just a thought but with the strong tendency for all aircraft to weathervane hard in the sim, perhaps you could try to give yourself some wind coming straight down the runway heading that you are landing on. That will at least help to give her some stability with maintaining runway heading after touchdown. After you get a bunch of landings down, my guess is that you will learn to anticipate what it is going to do and get much better at it.

I don’t think this is true as a blanket statement, and if anything it would be some aircraft weathervane in certain conditions.

This varies depending on a lot of factors (aircraft type/config, skill level, control setup, wind strength/direction++), and I’m not experiencing it in SU12 Beta in a variety of planes/conditions.

Like the sim turbulence, there seems to be very strong opinions about it though!
Wheel friction seems to be one culprit, and that also seems to have been addressed in SU12 Beta.

But sure, into wind is always the ideal wind condition if you can arrange it.
One of the old Triangle strips in UK would be good for this type of training, where you can choose the best strip to match the current wind direction, or have a bunch of weather presets that match the airstrip you are using with wind directions/speed.

3 Likes

How did I miss this??? Amazing

Do you mean just for the Corsair? Or do you mean in general? If in general what’s the basis for this?

The lack of tire friction is an acknowledge issue by Asobo - there is no perhaps about it. But some aircraft do seem less effected by weathervaning than others. This is probably because depending on how the Dev has tried to model the aircraft the surface area of the body, wings and control surfaces seen visually may not match what the SIM sees for physics purposes. The lack of hard data is frustrating.

You may have already tried a lot of this, but just covering bases.

You shouldn’t have to use differential braking except for severe crosswind situations. Resist urges to pull the tail onto the ground too early. Gyroscopic precession comes into play upon changing the AOA. It isn’t something you necessarily want to speed up so let the tail stall as it will. Land straight. Ease off power slowly. Counteract rudder input with some opposite aileron. Resist applying brakes until tail is on the ground. Go to a really big runway, no wind, and try some high speed taxi from one end to the other. If you are on PC, there is a mod (Modified flight_model file for MIlviz FG-1D Corsair » Microsoft Flight Simulator) that seems to help people. Watch the associated YouTube video.

I forget where, but I remember somebody commenting on exaggerated effect of dihedral of the wings leading to a roll tendency upon landing. It isn’t necessarily that the developers are wrong with 7.5 degrees. I mean, how would you really translate dihedral for the wings of the corsair into a simple number? It is 8.5 degrees outside the bends, but the sim doesn’t know that. Anyways, you could adjust that number down, again if you are on PC.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I guess a lot of practice is in store. Definitely the most difficult plane I’ve had to deal with as of yet, and I thought the Spitfire was a handful! I don’t mind a challenge though. I also ordered some pedals which I had been meaning to do for months so that may also help.

2 Likes

Good decision! That will transform things for you in every aircraft. Not to mention helicopters! :wink:

3 Likes

Ha, I can fly the heli’s with what I have, but the constant need to have a bit of twist in the stick is definitely tiring. Will be much easier using my feet I’m sure!

1 Like

And way more realistic!

1 Like

21 minutes well spent to familiarize one’s self with the Corsair

7 Likes

Great vid thanks! So cool when you an replicate in the sim what the real world instruction demanded.

2 Likes

I’m talking about all aircraft, if you refer to the full context of what I wrote, not just the bit you quoted:

To address:

I never said it wasn’t an issue, by “seems to be” I’m implying it’s important but as you yourself admit directly after it’s also not the only factor. To claim otherwise would be silly, given what we know about the evolving area of aircraft performance in different flight phases under different flight modelling configurations. As Rumsfeldstiltskin said “there’s known unknowns, and then there’s unknown unknowns” and that’s about the size of it with MSFS SDK too.

If I didn’t think it wasn’t an important contributing factor, however, I wouldn’t have mentioned it at all or explictly linked to your thread for people to check out themselves.

In any event, lets not derail this thread with a discussion of one aspect (like the turbulence discussion tends to! yikes!). This thread is about the Corsair, and your thread is linked if people want to follow up and dicuss specific issues with tire friction.

1 Like

Indeed - no desire to hijack an innocent Corsair thread! But my question was genuine - if this is something that has been addressed in SU12beta I and lots of others would love to hear about it (in the main thread). I’m not in the beta myself.

As other people have also mentioned, the Milviz Porter doesn’t suffer from this in SU12 Beta.
You still have to be on the ball though, to control it, but it’s a nice machine.

And you also mentioned (in other threads on it) there was some tuning done in the friction area in SU12 Beta. I’m not saying it’s completely fixed, btw, I’m not that stupid! haha!

Anyway, I’ll leave it there.

This thread has got me back to mastering the Corsair, so i’m going to load it up and practice some take offs and landings!

3 Likes

Just to be clear that was only in relation to the CJ4. Any improvements at the moment have to implemented on an aircraft-by-aircraft basis.

Well tried 10 or so landings just now. Still no luck. Tried with 0 wind too. She always wants to veer off and if I add some rudder to correct, one of the wings will drop (depending which way I turn) even though I’m trying to be extremely gentle. It’s like she’s on a very narrow and bouncy undercarriage. I might have to try the mod listed above, but I feel like that’s cheating.

I watched another video of someone landing, and they too said they need to use differential breaking on landing.