[RELEASED: 3rd Aug 2023] Cessna 162 Skycatcher | Cockspur

I noted the off-the-charts oil temperature as well - No adjustments could bring it down, so I’m tempted to chalk that up to a bug.

But again I wonder, how does something like that get missed? One test flight, one time properly scanning the instruments and something like that surely must be caught?!

I have no experience with Cockspur yet, because business jets are pretty much the only type of aircraft that I really don’t care to fly at all. They are basically tailored to fly the worst people of the world around, which I don’t want to simulate. :grin:

Anyhow … I heard good things about their C510 Mustang, so I’m surprised about a bug like that. Makes me very hesitant to buy it, because if something in-your-face obvious like that gets missed, I can’t help but wonder what else is wrong. The fact that it just quietly popped up on the market place with ZERO review videos or even first looks doesn’t inspire confidence either. Hell, they don’t even seem to have a launch trailer of their own!

I’m very interested in this little bird, though. So I hope it’s good, or at least it will be after a few updates.

2 Likes

In its current state, it really is enjoyable to fly - I foresee myself spending a lot of time with it. An update or two to iron out some of the bugs/clean up some of the textures, and it will be superb. At this price-point, it’s a good buy IMO.

I also am a bit in doubt to buy it. I contacted them asking if I could review it because I have flown one in real life daily for 4 months straight but they said they don’t accept reviews at the moment so I am a bit in doubt to even buy it at this point.

For what it’s worth I don’t regret buying it and do think I’ll continue to enjoy it. I reckon one or two small patches should sort out the bugs, though from a value perspective i think it’s closer to a $14.99 price point but I would buy it again.

Couple short clips I got this morning. It looks pretty nice IMO, though I haven’t counted rivets. :wink:

couple more:

3 Likes

Yes, I did notice that – the nosewheel seems to be moving with the rudder pedals which it should not, so it’s easier to steer on the ground than it should be. :wink: This is a common error in MSFS planes, so I forgive it at a lowish price point but it’s the kind of thing that could get fixed in an update if they care to…

I think you just saved me $20. I really don’t like the cockpit. Not even Cockspur’s fault, but Cessna’s. I don’t want to spend any amount of time in that. :confounded: Moving on. Thanks!

2 Likes

1 Like

So you’re not going to buy it because they didn’t give it to you for free? :thinking: :rofl:

1 Like

I think his logic here is that they stated that they don’t give review copies to anyone at this time. That is usually the case when developers don’t want bad press on release, knowing full well that their product isn’t quite there yet.

This may not be the case here, but it certainly is a red flag and it’s prudent to wait and see.

2 Likes

I love Skycatcher. For me instant buy. I have Mustang from them which I also like. Skycatcher look and flies good. Sounds are default from xCub(but…ok). BUT I have problem with one thing - prop diac and speed of propeler. Disc look weird in flight and even in lower RPM looks like static animation. On shutdown sound end but take too long for prop to stop… and here is my problem with this machine - do you remember an old flight1 Skycatcher for FSX? It has same “bug”, so I am afraid that Cockspur ported model from them to MSFS… But stil liked it.

I dont think I said that now did I ?? Maybe learn how to read ?? People are discovering things wrong with it so I’m not buying it for now.

Exactly that, specially when they know when a real life pilot has actually flow the same bird

Here is a first impressions video by Flight Sim VR Dad which confirms my feelings about the cockpit:

Why did Textron/Cessna design a cockpit that makes you feel like you are entombed in a big dark box? That dashboard and the A pillars (or whatever they are called in a plane) are way too big and blocky. In conjunction with the dark colors everywhere is makes it look like it’s a really uncomfortable and claustrophobic place to be in. If flying is a sense of freedom, a cockpit like that does its best to counteract that sense of freedom.

Just weird …

2 Likes

Agreed, IMO the IRL cockpit design is not Cessna’s best work. :wink: But I’m a completist now and gotta have it :wink: :wink: :wink:

Another video by Jonathan Beckett:

Several review copys have been handed out to media outlets. We do not refuse to give out review copys, but we can also not give out free copys to anyone who asks for it, and I hope you can understand this.

9 Likes

it should be expected that you would want to protect your IP as well as your many hours of research and all around effort on the project. Reasonable people would agree…

2 Likes

Not only that, but she streamed herself flying the pre-release version, and passing critical comments and praise for it’s accuracy, as well as answering streamers questions.
She came across as being very familiar with the Real World Plane, and I found her stream to be highly informed and educational.