[RELEASED] Astro ONE | Got Friends

Astro ONE | Official Trailer

Release Date: Late April
Price: $12.99
Special Release Sale: $9.99 (First Week)

13 Likes

Astro ONE | Release Details

Release Date: April 20th, 2023 (00:00 UTC)
Special Sale: $9.99 (April 20th - April 27th)
After Sale Price: $12.99

Notice: These details are for our Official Website Release only! Marketplace details and Xbox Release will follow when we complete the ingestion process with Microsoft.

Read the Manual Now: GF_ASTRO_ONE_MANUAL_v1.0.0.pdf - Google Drive

See you all in the Race April 20th!

8 Likes

1 Like

That looks like a lot of fun!

Really looking forward to the release tomorrow.

1 Like

We were playing around with the SDK a bit trying to see if we could make a custom racetrack with the provided assets, it’s shaping up to be pretty fun :smiley:

2 Likes

Here is my coverage of the Astro:

1 Like

Astro ONE | Official Release

The wait is finally over!

Today is a fantastic day. When we started this project, we had no idea when we would be releasing it to the community. I am proud to say that the Astro ONE is now available to purchase on our Official Website! Today is also Got Friends’ 2nd Anniversary! We have been creating content for two years as a collaboration group and I personally want to thank everyone for your support throughout our journey. We are slowly gaining ground and making a name for ourselves and our entire team is humbled by ever comment, like, share, and purchase. We hope to make Microsoft Flight Simulator better for years to come. The question is
 What is next from Got Friends?

Remember, pricing is $9.99 for one week only! After the 27th, you will find it listed for $12.99

Purchase the Astro ONE Now:
Includes Astro Corsa Racetrack | ICAO: AST1

Official Launch Stream with our Partner Willy!
Come see what the Astro is all about!

Official Paintkit:
Start Painting your Racers Today!

Official Flight Manual:
Don’t Forget to Read and Setup your Keybinds

Community Race-Track | By Pieter:
Free Download | ICAO: AST2

Community Race-Track | By PhotosbyKev:
Located at Astro Corsa | ICAO: AST1 | 2nd Track Option

UT-68 Base Scenery | By PhotosbyKev:
Beautiful Scenery that Enhances the Potash Area | Adjacent to AST1

5 Likes

If the plane/drone doesn’t exist though, how do you know your flight model is realistic?

Like any aircraft that doesn’t exist. Math.

3 Likes

Funny then how we even struggle to get good flight models for aircraft that do exist!

1 Like

Bought it. It’s so much fun. I appreciate the idea for racing others, but I’ve been going crazy flying around large cities like a fly bzzzzzz bzzzzz bzzzzzz LOL.

I really do like it. Something different when I don’t feel like going super deep.

My only critique is the landing crash setting feels way too sensitive. I crashed on most of my flights trying to land.

2 Likes

See QA section of the flight manual. I wrote a little section about how to land easier because it was indeed quite difficult for me at first during development.

Basically you turn on hover mode if you want to make it easier / arrest lateral movement, adjust power to 4050 RPM and it will mostly land itself. Alternatively, you can do the same without hover mode, and land with a touch of forward momentum safely as well.

I was able to consistently repeat this even using an Xbox controller, its quite cool once you get the hang of it.

1 Like

So much fun my head is exploding!!! First from the neon racing course, then from doing flips. The course looks stunning at dawn or dusk. I love the fit and finish, it’s a really nice model and so exciting to fly. Can’t wait to take it exploring in more places. Nice job on another cool unique craft Got Friends!!!

1 Like
1 Like

I have another flying question for those who have the Astro.

For the Track mode with terrain following it seems to me the terrain following component is slow to respond to changes in track elevation and I end up crashing. Should I be changing the terrain height as I’m running a course? Or should I adjust speed to allow the terrain following to adjust faster?

Both are valid ways to mitigate this.

Faster you go, the harder it is for tracking to keep up so we put the LIDAR bound to Propeller axis, making it easy for users to adjust on-the-fly to aid it.

Alternatively, flying a touch slower gives the PID controller a moment to calculate and adjust power levels to maintain a more consistent tracking height setting.

As for the racecourse, its meant to be flown entirely in sport mode + boosting on up-hills and stright-aways to have the fastest time each lap. Sport mode gives the pilot a more flexible roll rate (among other things) which is vital for Astro Corsa.

1 Like

Beep trim!

I promise you I did spawn in first time at Astro Corsa and I did give the course a go - but to be honest before I did that I couldn’t resist the temptation to fly up to one of the nearby mesas and enjoy the view.

And in so doing discovered the weakness of the Astro.

Forward motion involves holding your joystick axis/console controller stick forward the entire time. Not a problem if you’re using a controller; but if, like me, you have a strongly sprung joystick (a Warthog in my case), that quickly becomes tiring.

I’ve encountered this problem before. It’s why I abandoned the Volocopter after a couple of flights and why I breathed a sigh of relief when beep trim was added to the Cabri and I could start taking it more than a few hundred metres from the helipad. I will say the Astro isn’t quite as bad as either of these*, because at full speed you’ve still got some forward joystick travel left; but not as bad isn’t the same as good.

Now I understand that you’ve been concerned to make the Astro controller-friendly (and am amused by the upside-down Playstation symbology on the joystick) and that your primary focus is on the Astro as a racer.

Nevertheless it seems from the videos I’ve watched that the Jetson on which the Astro is based is intended to be a cross-country aircraft, and if you’d like to make this a more practical option for PC players with joysticks that are clearly stronger than they are, then I’d say a beep trim option would be a very welcome addition for those who feel they need it.

Incidentally, the maximum height you can reach in track mode is rather less than the height of many an Asobo supertree. So don’t think you can just increase track height and hop over a treeline - that’s likely to end badly.

Lastly, and BTW, I had so much fun mountain-climbing with the Lake Skipper that if I were never to touch the Astro again - and I am most definitely going to have a serious go at making my way through the Astro Corsa - I’d consider that I’d had more than my money’s worth even before the purchase.

*I have to take that back. It turns out that you can max out the joystick in track mode, and, when you do, after a short while it begins to hurt just as much as it ever did in a helicopter without beep trim or in the Volocity.

7 Likes

Haha this is brilliant :smiley: great fun

5 Likes

You guys are smart. This looks like alot of fun
 not serious BUT enough features for the serious simmer. Cheap price, but quality product. Unique, I am sure cool in VR
 fun to enjoy the sights
 I hope you sell many of these
 off to go buy mine.

5 Likes

Thanks for the support!!!