[RELEASED] Astro ONE | Got Friends

Fed up of never really being able to check out these awesome airports and check out the tower and other details?

Jetson One is the solution!

3 Likes

Introducing: Astro Corsa | Canyon Run

A Special Racetrack by Jonx

I decided to create something dangerous and thrilling for the Astro One. If you are looking for the ultimate agility test, look no further!

Free Download Available Now!
Astro One is Required!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Astro during touring, a very valid point about the beep trim.

Weā€™re currently working on a few quality-of-life improvements to the Fly-by-Wire system and adding such a trim is definitely worth exploring.

Stay tuned!

3 Likes

Itā€™s nice for a V1, looking forward to some tweaks.
This is great as a camera platform btw.

My 2.3 yen feedback from a few runs through the included track + some other flight testing:

• As noted above, the gamepad setup isnā€™t the best. Better to switch right stick horizontal to yaw/rudder, and throttle to triggers. You can pull better moves with this setup too.
  • As such throttle on triggers needs to be more responsive in spool up/down as the slow(sih) hysterisis response it currently has makes it difficult to use throttle control reliably for hovering/landing.
  • This is really apparent when trying to fine control it in a hover in normal mode. It seems to need ~5k to get off the ground, and itā€™s tricky to keep it in position and lower it down. Yes, I know thereā€™s hover mode, but still nice to be able to land in normal mode, but needs controls to help not hinder. The 3K you have left after getting off the ground isnā€™t a lot of speed control headroom either.
  • Not sure if itā€™s possible but when using a double bind with right stick to headlook would be great to disable the single bind control like yaw, as it also does that.
  • For convenience a button to recharge would be nice, or just be able to bind to the existing refuel function ( I already have that bound, but didnā€™t work).
  • Iā€™d increase the track mode max height by half again, just to give a little more headroom for tracking though city roofs if you need it
  • ā€œPropellor pitchā€ aka track height control needs a little more fine tuning. The min/max on the U/D works, but would be nice if you could use that as an incremental adjustment up down instead of the right stick up/down. I had both bound but found the stick was too responsive for it and very hard to set exactly the height you wanted. Or perhaps just slow the stick response for track height adjustment down a notch or two.
  • Would be nice to have a turbo mode for touring or slow track racing where you are not radically cornering as much, say double the max speed now (maybe even up to 200). Also with an increase in battery capacity/range/time. Itā€™s a game right, we can haz non-real things too, with magical tech from the future. Why else is there a Halo dropship in the sim?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Beast mode!

Great work team GF!

4 Likes

Flown it a bit now, fantastic aircraft. What Iā€™d like to see is a button that once a hover is achieved, it locks position in the x, y, z axis. A bit like the dji Mavic Mini - lift the drone up to head height for instance, let go of the sticks and it sits there perfectly still staring at you, 1.8m off the groundā€¦.kinda creepy in a way how it just floats there in mid air with no input.

I tried it, looks nice, but I think you need to rework it to be a little more user friendly.

Using the settings described in my feedback here [RELEASED] Astro ONE | Got Friends - #46 by Sonicviz it was very tricky to control, mainly due to the lack of fine throttle control and lack of ability to control speed as a result. The canyon is very narrow, with very little room for error, and the collision detection seems very glitchy, resulting in a horrible UX where you can trapped in the rocks and thrown around, unable to extract yourself. Slew mode doesnā€™t work.
Teleporting out was the only solution.

Also, if you start on the H (not a cold and dark spot) you will be locked under the truck posted right on the centry of the pad. Same problem as above.

Summary:

• Needs more fine control over throttle & speed for tight environments. This is even more critical than a circuit with lots of corners.
  • Collision detection and handling needs a better solution. Maybe just wrap it in a bigger collision box with more tolerance so it will bounce off and not get trapped.

My 3.14 yen.

Iā€™m having way too much fun with this. One QOL suggestion would be a ā€˜helicopter modeā€™ selectable from the touch screen, where you pull for power (and yes, I know I could just use my helicopter throttle profile, so itā€™s not a big deal).

Were you in Sport Mode?

I think the control is fine for this course, but yes the collision boxes around the cave bit right at the end of the circuit is bad - not able to get through without getting stuck, spun around or pushed inside a rock object.

And yeah the Truck as the default starting point isnā€™t working - maybe idea was that you sit on top of it when you spawn but seems to just fall off and go under the flatbed part. Can slew out of it though.

Have you tried Hover Mode + Track Mode turned on together.

Astro One | Official Update 1.0.1.

This is our first round of updates. Most of you are accustomed to Got Friendsā€™ Update pattern. If not, this update is simply to update the Website Version to the pending Marketplace Version. That way both versions are lined up for Day One Release on the In-Game Marketplace.

We are reading all the comments, suggestions, and feedback regarding version 1.0.0. and will try our hardest to accommodate most of these recommendations in future updates.

As of now, we have added our remainder of our day one clean-up items to this update:

Version 1.0.1. Changelog:

• SoundAi Bug is Fixed for an Enjoyable Multiplayer Experience
  • Added Pitch Trim (Hotkey Only | Use Elevator Trim Axis)
  • Smart Landing Assist (Less Twitchy While Landing)
  • Critical Battery Now Halves max RPM to 4,000 (Encourages Landing)

We have noticed a lot of feedback regarding various Flight Modes. Ensure you read the manual to fully answer your questions in regard to what the various modes do. We have seen quite a bit of footage and feedback in which we could tell the end-user did not read the manual or fully understand what each mode is supposed to do.

Read the Manual Here:

Update Available Here:

2 Likes

No in havenā€™t, Iā€™ll certainly try that tomorrow. Thanks.

1 Like

That was quick! many thanks!

I was hyped and bought it without second thought to replace Optica for city sightseeing and here are my thoughts:
-By wording Fly-by-wire, I expected it can at least hold the direction. Actually in the description itā€™s not stated that this is not the case. I have VPC warbird with strong springs and just holding stick down to move forward whole time without any way to trim is no go.
-Max height in Track mode is good if you want to enjoy seeing trees from inside and crash into every single building which is higher than 1 floor in the sim. Even with usable height, itā€™s following terrain in record breaking speed of 20 knots. Iā€™m missing the point of this mode.
-Batteries are low quality. Maybe add /unrealistic/ option to fit batteries which donā€™t require landing every 20 minutes.

Very interesting concept, but IMHO needs few adjustmens to be usable

And alreadyā€¦

Itā€™s TERRAIN following, not Building following.

They are Chinese :wink: Much cheaper to fit and replace when you wreck.

1 Like

So you are following terrain outside of city at 20 knots? again

Blockquote
Iā€™m missing the point of this mode.

Not at 20kts, but no I donā€™t really use that mode so try not using it - itā€™s not for REAL pilots anyway :slight_smile:

So I tried pitch trim and my gratitude is undiminished (I thank you, my hand thanks you, my shoulder thanks you).

But I wouldnā€™t be an ungrateful bustard if I didnā€™t mention that perhaps a bit more forward travel would be welcome. I was losing about ten knots in Track mode and in normal mode I couldnā€™t trim far enough forward to stop myself climbing. At least, not without losing speed when I didnā€™t want to lose any more.*

But still, a great improvement!

Edit: OK, in normal flight anything over 5100 RPM, at which speed Iā€™m doing 65 kts, tends to give me mostly climb and maybe at best an extra knot. But itā€™s not perfectly consistent. I have seen, in no wind, 70 kts and no climb at 1000 ft.* But when I tried to repeat that, I couldnā€™t: I got 65-66 kts and climb.

Iā€™m going to stand by my ā€˜bit more trimā€™ suggestion.

OTOTT

1 Like

Amazing idea and amazing way to explore differently the world. Keep on going guys!

Love it.

1 Like

This is probably going to be fun but as far as Iā€™m concerned Iā€™m not in love with things that donā€™t exist in real life. It would have been amazingly cool to have some experimental thing that really exists.
Having said that it is still going to be fun but I donā€™t get the hype around it, the Kamov Ka-10 is very similar yet nobody even knows it exists for MSFS. I guess marketing is king.

I own both and theyā€™re not very similar at all. The Ka-10 is a 1940s helicopter that is very manual and hands on and the Astro ONE is a manned quadcopter/drone type device and handles very differently especially with the various flight modes. The Astro ONE might not exist IRL but it is based on the Jetson ONE that does exist IRL. Itā€™s quite fun to fly and thereā€™s room in the sim world for both to co-exist, especially considering theyā€™re both quite cheap.

1 Like