[Released] Bear Studios MiG-15

Ah ok thanks =) I have to try if it goes away if I release the parking brake. Two other things I noticed, are that the nose wheel doesn’t seem to turn and that there is a secondary wing vapor trail that goes up vertically from the wing tips.

Yep, there are several visual issues…including the ailerons don’t move. However, the little things I’m also realizing don’t take too much away from my experince with it. It is why I hope the developer continues to support the addon with updates. It’s a good initial release, but it definitly needs some continued attention.

I think I was impressed so much that the flap and gear indicators on the wing and nose work, I gave the ailerons and other visual details a pass for now.

1 Like

I agree, overall, it’s quite nice and I’m glad I picked it up. With one or two updates it will be incredible. I can’t wait for Blackbirds F-86, it will make for fantastic tail chases over Duxford =)

1 Like

Agreed,

I too am looking forward to an F-86 release. I have been waiting for a decent MiG-15 for a while now to compliment the (Milviz) F-86 I purchase on its day 1 release.

On its own, I had been waiting for a “higher fidelity” 2nd or 3rd generation Soviet/Russian fighter to tour Russia with. I would have probably been happy with a MiG-3, La-7, or Yak-9 for the trip. However, having the Mig-15 first makes travelling the vast distances in Russia a lot more palatable.

The historical significance of the MiG-15 can’t be denied, and I am extremely happy to now have a decent rendition of it in MSFS.

2 Likes

A Mig-3, La-7 or Yak-9 would be awesome. I wouldn’t mind an Allison powered replica Yak-3 either they are beautiful and incredibly agile and would make for a cool modern-day warbird to fly airshows with (and a soundpack would be a lot easier to get then one for a Klimov engine).

Everyone needs to exercise some courtesy and notify the developer on FSDeveloper.

It’s the only location I know of where the individual is present and can acknowledge concerns: New MiG-15Bis for P3D and MSFS&FSX from BearStudios. | Page 8 | FSDeveloper

I am about to point them in this direction but it may be easier to follow line-item concerns if posted there.

2 Likes

Thanks for putting a link to this thread over there. I had no idea were to contact the developer.

I just got an account on FSDeveloper, but I get a message, that I have insufficient privileges to reply in the Topic and I can’t find a way to send Wolfgen a message =/ I hope he will read this thread or I’ll try to reach out to him tomorrow.

It might be one of those forums that you have to wait so many days before you can post.

1 Like

The developer posted the following on FSDeveloper after viewing the thread here:

About Myself, bearstudios, MiG-15 future updates and bug fix.
1, Very thank for any advise or suggestion, I note all of things down and will make them fixed in future updates.

2, My current status is being investigated, but has not been tried, convicted or thrown into prison.
So I am not working in prison, at the MiG-15 project begin, I have been bail pending trial, released from china state security (political police) for disease treatment.
As the investigation on " illegal acquisition and leak of state secrets" will continue for several years, and as far as the current situation is concerned, the possibility of conviction is very small.
So I can keep create addon mod and make updating in future development before they really jailed me.

3, But for reduce trouble, I have to diaband my company( the last project until 2021.7 is F-16MLU, P3D+VRS TacPack supported, alomost 80% done)
So the BearStudios current has only myself one personal to build single simple aircraft addons and make all things for release, bug fix and contracts.
In China mainland, I am one of few MS flightsim developer, it is hard to regroup or recruit experienced personal in my local now. My oneman`s army status may continue for a period.

4, I have been limit on common web visite, my account google services can not restore because my telephone card detained by china state security (political police), can not verify when restore for gmail and youtube.
So I can not create videos on youtube. for the vpn performance, search and watch related videos is differcult too. I can check e-mail daily, but will not reply quickly.

5, I have illness of fundus bleeding caused by diabetes, after laser treatment last year, I can not draw green side colors accurately, include blue or yellow colors. eyesight visually impaired, modeling and texturing rely on the design software, for example, the straight line in my eye sight become curve slightly, I using parameter input to build them.

6, Base on the facts above, works on my side, include update and future addon project may slower than excepted.

About engine sound effect, I will try to mix VK-1A sound from FT-5 to improve it, after I have the record from a restored WP-5 engine.
The upcoming update v1.3.2 for MiG-15Bis will be arranged to release in 8 weeks if I can deal with report bugs before the end of March.

Thanks for all personal support MiG-15 development, we will keep it on as we can do.

9 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about all his health issues. It’s great, that he is planning to update the Mig in the future.

Since I haven’t found any videos on the Mig, I just uploaded one. Maybe it’ll help someone who is on the fence whether to buy it or not. You can see some of the current issues, but I’m sure that they will be resolved in the future.

5 Likes

I don’t know how much you actually care that the developer used a common modern radio (which is what you seem to be saying), but, maybe think of this plane as being one of the Mig-15’s on the airshow circuit today, so some of the internal radios and other features have been replaced for modern counterparts to work in today’s airspace?

3 Likes

I am not against modern equipment at all, this is not a critics. And I understand that it is difficult to fly in the sim with a radio with channels presetted on-ground before the flight and not changeable inflight. I’d just like to see a bit more… common, or standard, or familiar in the future, even if it is modern.

1 Like

Quick fix for the vertical vapour trails is to remove them…
Go to \Community\bearstudios-aircraft-mig15bis\SimObjects\Airplanes\BS_MiG15Bis\model
and edit MiG15Bis.xml (make a backup first) with notepad
find the entries for DragTrail_Left_FX and DragTrail_Right_FX
(should be lines 146 to 161) and delete them
Save the file and the offending trails should be gone.

First of all thanks to the developer for his work and I’m sorry for its current state, fun plane worth buying I’m a guy who likes to fly with his own liveries, the paint kit is certainly not one of the best but it works well so the problem arises when you want to make camouflage liveries the brown looks like gold I attach a photo to give an idea does anyone have a solution?? Thank you

1 Like

Based on their included paint schemes, it looks like all the markings have a transparency to them, which brings out the underlying metallic skin. For instance the red markings have A very metallic or metal flake look in the right light instead of looking like solid red paint like you’d expect. I don’t know enough about repaints to elaborate any further just my observation.

Thanks anyway

Do the liveries include any comp.png files? It looks like the entire surface is set as fully metallic. If there is a comp file you can change that. In those files you work with the three separate colour channels red, green, and blue.

Red - Ambient Occlusion
Green - Roughness
Blue- Metalness

It’s been too long since I did this so I don’t remember the specifics. But you can get some hints here:

Thank you I’m trying but I have an extra alpha channel, I also use Gimp or Paint net if I’m not wrong I have to create a new image of the appropriate size take the red, green and blue separately and rename them with the names Red - Ambient Occlusion
Green - roughness
Blue- Metalness then go into components and compose them

You can start off with all three channels just pure colour or black - you’ll need to try out which does which (e.g. is full blue = metallic, or is full black = metallic), but for metallic it’s very easy to spot once you load the plane.

Once you’ve done that you could overlay the original images so you know where different outlines go and you can then selectively change areas to suit you.

So far I’ve never had to start from scratch and only changed some of the originals, so it was comparatively easy. It’ll be harder if no comp files exist yet. Pretty sure you’ll also need to include the comp files in some of the config files, but I haven’t a clue where and how. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.