[RELEASED]Camair 480 Twin Navion by B4Gunner@Hangar Studios 713

I like it! It’s a nice little twin. Comparisons to the 310 are not far off; they are quite similar, but the Navion definitely feels “lighter” in the air (if that makes any sense). It’s well worth $10, that’s for sure.

Unfortunately it brought out a conflict in some of my mod setups. There is something in my bunch of mods that will, in certain combinations, cause an error that’s manifested by (1) an unending spinning circle when entering the content manager screen (but not a freeze; you can back out of the screen easily – it just will never resolve into the installed content list) and (2) an inability to actually quit out of the program (the program gets to the yes/no quit box after selecting quit, accepts the “yes”, and then just stays that way forever – have to ctrl-del and kill the process to actually quit, but oddly the software does not interpret that as a nonstandard program termination, so the start-in-safe-mode screen doesn’t appear on the next start). I don’t think this is a Twin Navion issue. It’s something else, and I’ve been trying for months to figure out what. And I have no clue why the Navion would trigger it, either. But hope springs eternal that I’ll figure this out someday (or that SU10 will magically fix it. Not holding my breath for that.)

I don’t regret my purchase at all though. I’ll figure it out eventually, I think, and then the Navion will get out of the hangar on the regular.

Still could not resolve my FPS issues with this addon.

I tried the free Ryan Navion from flightsim.to and it was no problem at all, 30 FPS capped like all other aircraft, but on the same airport and route the Twin Navion again only 15-20 FPS.

I give up for now, will try again after WU10 is out of Beta as I mentioned before.

1 Like

OK picked this up.

Sort of OK for the $10 price if you like this period and type. I only spent a few minutes with it so far:

Good points:

• unique aircraft
  • systems and cockpit functionality are good
  • nice little addon features
  • no idea if FM is like the real one but it flies fine
  • sound is fine

Less than optimal points:

• textures do need a fair bit of work, it is not the resolution, it is the way things like rivets are done. Also some weird textures on the cabin roof for me . Kind of acceptable at 1080p/2K, but only just, would get really annoying at 4K .

EDIT - these issues are continually getting fixed with every patch, looking substantially better now

• h̶e̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶c̶r̶a̶f̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶g̶i̶t̶e̶c̶h̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶G̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶C̶T̶D̶,̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶i̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶H̶o̶n̶e̶y̶c̶o̶m̶b̶ ̶Y̶o̶k̶e̶ EDIT - seems like may have been coincidental
  • F̶P̶S̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶-̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶g̶i̶t̶e̶c̶h̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ EDIT these issues now seem fixed

Summary - definite possibilities but she is not quite there yet.

EDIT: to be clear still fly this, it clearly has a lot of work done and price is excellent, ongoing regular patches are improving it continually and most of the initial issues are now resolved

1 Like

Update: issues resolved

Here is a link to my Discord Support Channel for the Camair 480 - Have a look around the server and if you have any questions feel free to drop a note - Sounds like you have had this problem for a while now. I have the perfect solution for you. Here is a permanent link if anyone else wants to join in the discussion:

What you’re interpreting as people “commenting negatively directly to a developer” is just them posting their honest impressions for everyone on the forum to read so that others have as much information as possible before deciding whether to buy. It happens with every new release here. You shouldn’t choose to take it personally.

Your attitude that “If a small handful of people who make videos on YouTube didn’t have a problem, nobody else could possibly have a problem” is also seriously misguided.

3 Likes

It’s guided in the sense that if people want to have more accurate information, they now have it…

1 Like

What?

Let me be more direct since you don’t seem to understand what I was saying.

You can’t assume that a few people who make videos are representative of all of the thousands and thousands of people playing MSFS with their countless unique hardware configurations. “This person on YouTube didn’t say they had a problem so if you have a problem it must be on your end and I have nothing to fix” is not logical and not a proper way to treat a paying customer.

3 Likes

What I mean by they don’t seem to have a problem - is in the sense of a problem, that I can SEE, with my own eyes. And now everyone can see for themselves what the plane actually looks like. Not on your system, not on mine. Even the video has glitches, but for the most part it’s pretty much spot on from what I SEE. So to resolve your issue and any others I gave a direct link to my Discord where maybe I can try and help you. That’s all. If you want a real discussion head on over to my Discord as I have provided the link. Thank You for your purchase. And now I hope you better understand my statement.

1 Like

If im not mistaken, I overheard Gunner had said he taken an online course in Blender and got ‘certified’ for it Please correct me if I’m wrong!

Biggest congratulations on this release regardless. I know it was in the making for quite some time.

• Mykrode, 3D Artist for GotFriends
1 Like

Thanks MyKrode for the Congrats! And yes I am Blender certified, not that I’m as good as you at it, but I’ve only been using it for less than a year. I’ll always take pointers though. Especially if I can afford to get a tablet that’ll let me sculpt more - Then it’s a whole different ballgame, but you can see how I used that feature specifically in the tail section. At one point in time I had the faces over 1 million, but I scaled it back so the LODS weren’t so heavy and the sim could easily handle the Camair 480. It’s such a clunky little plane to begin with.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! We know how many hours it takes on these projects and as a single developer, can only imagine the overwhelming amount of responsibilities you had from model, to textures, flight model, sound and even the overall marketing + media associated with doing a release. For me, after three solo freeware releases (MX1, Fokker DR.1 and MXA), I decided to move on to joining GotFriends to focus on developing my skills in one area while teammates tackled and mastered others. Solo development is such a huge undertaking, and I admire your tenacity and determination.

At some point, Josh had mentioned to me that your initial goal for getting into development was simply to share with your kids that you had made something for the game. I thought that was super cool, huge respects! Even if you continue solo, I know for sure that your future projects will only get better and better with each passing release.

Keep doing what you’re doing Gunner. The entire team are extremely excited to see where you take the project next. Much love, and once again, huge congrats on reaching that finish line. <3

5 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. I’m working on getting 1.0.1 out this weekend right now and I have found some issues that I’m taking care of now the CDI’s flag’s aren’t quite right and I needed to redo that texture anyways, so that is now complete as well as making an entirely new gauge - or 2 or 3 or 4 technically. I made a short clip today of that with a new Manifold Pressure gauge and new RPM gauge for both engines each. I found an old style twin gauge that I thought would fit this plane nicely and seeing it probably hasn’t been done yet(my airplane knowledge for MSFS is limited for other’s out there). So this should be a little something more to look forward to as well as fixing most if not all of the Cockpit textures. Here’s that video: Camair 480 1 0 1 update testing - YouTube

This looks like an interesting prospect and I’ll be looking to see how much this product is refined in v1.01.

Are there any peeks you can give us of the documentation?

Also, what is the rough install size?

MP/RPM gauges look PERFECT! Thanks so much. Looking forward to 1.01.

2 Likes

I’m having a hard time flying anything else but the Camair lately. Awesome to see what’s to come! Thanks for your hard work, b4gunner.

I have a question, is the fuel gauge supposed have such a high range? As in, when the tanks are full only a fraction of the fuel gauge is utilized.

1 Like

Currently the download size is only 811MB zipped, it uncompresses to over 3 GB, but that will change in 1.0.1 - For documentation purposes the Manual.PDF file on my website is always updated to the most recent changes that are available live and to the public - any changes going forward with update releases will be included once the release is live. As to planned update release info I play the music as I go along. For now you can include the new manifold pressure gauge, new RPM gauge, fixed the CDI textures/emmissive and currently working on new seating textures, new cockpit mesh/texture for the sides and top of the firewall. Adding a lost registration decal for the airplanes interior. When I swapped models from an older save it didn’t have the mesh/decal needed to include the interior registration material needed and I noticed this a few days ago. So when you go to put your own numbers in, it’ll now have that outside reference on the interior forward right panel with a placard. - Here is the link to my website in case anyone didn’t know this exists, I made this site for my launch - Took me about a day to complete and I’m always updating it. HANGARSTUDIOS713

1 Like

Yes the gauge I used this from is the King Air - In fact the Camair 480 has a lot of the fuel system the Kingair has, so if you look at that gauge in the sim they are very similar. It’s only a gauge brought over from another aircraft as the Camair is a bit of a mutt in that sense. Other gauges from other Asobo assets. It would be nice if they had more samples readily available to look at and figure out how they got things to work for the Dev noobs, but I figured it out and then made adjustments accordingly. If my memory serves me right there are only two gauges that I didn’t make a template for(technically 4). They are the attitude indicator and the altimeter Asobo assets. All the other gauges I used Gaugemaker 2 to make the stencils with paint.net drawing the numbers/letters on the stencil, then I just stenciled them on the material in Blender(That’s also how I did the liveries, but in 8K). The quality depends on the resolution used for the material and obviously the higher the resolution the clearer the image is. 4k is the standard for the interior textures, but I only used 2K Stencils specifically for some of the standalone gauges. If you look at the GAUGES_ALBD4K.PNG.DDS file you can see that entire map is in 4K as is it’s COMP and NORM associated files. ALL of those were stenciled on gauges. I have cleaned that file up as well with 1.0.1. It’s still dirty IMO but that would require moving all of the UV’s which will need to be done to have this plane go to MSFS marketplace, which is my ultimate goal. It would take another day to do this as there are a lot of gauges in this plane. That’ll eventually happen with another update, for now though it’ll suffice.

1 Like

Interesting insight on what’s involved with development. I couldn’t make a livery so I have the utmost respect for you devs.