[RELEASED] Discus-2c | Got Friends

try soaring with ridge lift , become lot easier to travel long distance in the mountain , climbed to more than 3600meters with it !!

1 Like

QUICK DISCUS-2C UPDATE:

Our team is happy that you guys are enjoying this addon and finally taking flight in a motor-less gliding fashion! That being said, let’s take care of some housekeeping by first answering some FAQs and then addressing details on the next update.

FAQ #1: Gliders aren’t officially supported, how are you able to generate Ridge Lift, Thermals, Winch Launch, and Stay Afloat?

Answer #1: Yes, gliders are not officially supported. All the coding originally used in FSX and P3D is locked and unusable in the new Simulator. We had to get extremely creative to get this addon working. We could have waited for official support, but what’s the fun in that right? You all are having a blast! Ridge Lift and Wind Weather Mechanics are already built into the simulator. Although not perfect, Asobo has incorporated this feature rather well so far. Thermals are a different story. At normal temperatures and cloud layers, Thermals are not possible in the game. HOWEVER, if we manually pump up the temperature and cloud layers to unrealistic levels, we do indeed receive Thermals in game. So we have once again meticulously hand crafted 6 weather presets (Alps Summer, Alps Winter, Coastal, Ridge Lift, Standard and Cross Country) so they you may enjoy these early Thermal results. They are not perfect and highly experimental. However, they produce enough lift to experience flight. The glider itself is not hiding anything! There is no invisible motor or invisible velocity boosting. The glider’s flight dynamics have been modeled off of real data gathered from Polar Charts and NASA databases. In regards to Ballast tanks, they are also realistically incorperated and there is no magic going on there either. The Winch Launch is a custom sequence of codes. It manipulates the gliders velocities and rotations in various ways to “fake” a glider Launch.

In the future when Asobo starts adding real Thermals, better ridge flying, and internal Launch/Tow systems, we will phase out our experimental features. These are all temporary solutions. But once again, rest assured the glider itself is working as close to real flight dynamics as possible. Therefore, when Asobo updates their weather systems, the glider will act and behave accordingly without the need for a major overhaul.

FAQ #2: Are there hotkeys for various events?

Answer #2: Yes (Currently) and No (Next Update). Once again, there is no official Glider support in the game. Hotkeys require events ingame. For that reason, we had to custom code certain events to work with already existing events. Once again, this is a temporary limitation and it will be addressed as official Glider support comes out.

Current Hotkeys:

• Disconnect Rope (Assign Water Rudder)
  • Flarm On/Off (Assign Taxi Light)
  • Spoilers (Assign Spoiler Axis to Throttle or Slider)
    Do Not Assign the Spoiler Axis 0 - 100, use the option under it!

Next Update:

• Ballast Open/Closed (Still Finding an Event Key)
  • Canopy (Still Finding an Event Key)

FAQ #3: Is there better documentation?

Answer #3: We apologize for the lack of information in the current PDF included with the download. In the next update we will include multiple pages explaining each gauge and their functions. We will also be providing a new video on YouTube to explain how to properly Winch Launch and get Towed by another player or AI using Kinetic Assistant.

FAQ #4: This is just a pretty looking brick, gliders don’t work in game without 3rd Party Software.

Answer #4: As you know, this is a false statement. We have provided everything you need to get into the air and stay in the air. We have Winch launch ingame and weather presets to keep you afloat. You do not need to use Kinetic Assistant, however that 3rd party application is great if you want to further your experience in game and don’t mind running additional software.

This is nothing new
 take a look at Helicopters and AirlandFS for example.

Think of our glider as the HPG H-135. No External Applications are needed. All the functions are hidden under layers of coding. However, you can also use Kinetic Assistant to increase your experience and we highly recommend it!

FAQ #5: What do you recommend for a fun flight?

Answer #5: Use the Alps - Summer Weather Preset and head down to LSGR or use the Cross Country weather preset and head down to FYBJ.

WHAT WILL BE IN THE NEXT UPDATE:

Next update is going to be rather small and we will address minor issues. Most of these are Day 1 Bugs and will simply smooth the release to a more stable version.

Pending Changelog:

• New Winch Control v2 (More Realistic and Easier).
  • Increased Brake Sensitivity
  • Gear Locked on Ground.
  • Changed Default Energy to “Total Energy” on Spawn
  • Fixed Registration Numbers Disappearing after Restarts.
  • Basic Sound with Big Door Open.
  • Basic Sound with Small Door Open.
  • Basic Sound with Ventilation Lever.
  • VR Camera Fixes
  • Add Ballast Dump to Hotkey SimVar.
  • Various Texture Fixes.
  • More In-Depth PDF Manual
  • Remove Pitot Heat Switch
  • Small 3D Model Adjustments
  • Adjust Loading Screen Tips

This update is near complete and should be out by the end of this week.

A quick preview from Got Gravel on Winch Launch Version #2:

A work in progress, but we’re currently coding a physically accurate winch cable simulation. This will be a major improvement on the one you have now, which is simply “forcing” you onto a pre-determined flight path. There really was no cable. It works for what it was intended though, it gets your glider in the air, independenlty. The new system however is the real deal. An actual cable, real physics, tension-adjusted winch speeds, automatic cable release when the cable vector exceeds 70 degrees (in any direction), and so on. The math behind this was a bit mindbending so we did not want to say anything yet. However, we’ve reached a stage of development where we are confident all math problems have been pretty much cracked. Lots of 3D vector stuff and such. The UI will receive an update to match, also displaying actual cable length remaining and cable angle. Winch acceleration will also be accurate, basically meaning you’ll be ready for take-off in about 3.5 seconds. We’ll also be adding a 3 second countdown, and level the wings for you.

Thank you all for your support! I will leave you with some excellent community photos! Don’t forget to consider leaving a good review on FlightSim.to and spreading the good word! We could use as much publicity and support as possible! We are working overtime to get the community outreach to get the glider on PC and Xbox on the ingame marketplace. We are still finalizing that conversation with Asobo.

17 Likes

Thanks very much for the quick update. From everything you write this doesn’t sound so minor at all.

About the new winch: when you say ‘the real deal’ does that also include a visual representatio of the winch and cable?

We now have a position Indicator for the position of the Winch (based on rope length) and nose contact point.

Theoretically a visual representation can now be modeled out and we will begin looking into that for the future. This update does make it possible.

2 Likes

I haven’t got it yet as I am away from the PC but I am itching to try this and with force feedback, it should be even better.

Looking forward to the update. Sounds like a major improvement to an allready great plane.
So far the discus is all i flew this year, and this will probably stay like that for some time to come. With a couple of small weather adjustments its just a great way to cover long distances troughout the alps or other scenic spots.
Its also great to hear what you all working at.
Cant wait to see where all of this will go, but one thing for sure, the alps were allready crowded with gliders last weekend and what read and hear is that a lot of glider “newbies” are getting entousiastic. Thanks a lot for that, and hopefully this brings you also even more energy to keep going with this amazing initiative!

2 Likes

Can you please add a “clung” sound for opening the airbrakes? - Flying the brand new Discus 2C FES (Part 3/3) - YouTube at 5:34 - you have to overcome a lock to make airbrakes open. Also a little different noise for the flight with undercarriage open would be very velcome - in the real ship it is not too pronounced but can help as a cue in the simulation. Anyway thank you for wonderful plane. Looking forward what paid version will bring

2 Likes

I just absolutely love this thing. With real life weather I took off from LFHK near Grenoble, winched up with middle settings, found some ridge lift that got me further up to Chambéry, then I found more lift, again with life weather and got all the way to Mont Blanc, lifted up to about 5,500 meters then glided north all the way to Lac Lemans, following the lake and still having about 4,000 meters of altitude. What I am saying is I am both impressed with the machine, the in game weather and the amazing distances you can travel.

2 Likes

can someone tell me what binding to use for the speed brake (spoilers) i tried the Throttle and throttle 1 axis but that didnt work and is there a binding for Ballast release ?

Just map the spoiler axis command. This post has an FAQ about it [RELEASED] Discus-2c | Got Friends - #79 ballast can’t be mapped currently.

I’ve had a few flights in this now and usually end up crashing as I have no clue what I’m doing with gliders lol. But I still enjoyed trying and the model and texturing looks great.

thank soo much

Hey thank you so much! Also cool that you step by in the streams where your glider is flying :slight_smile: !

I got really addicted to it 
 love how it feels and the thrill

Tried the discus in a compitition today but could not finish, not enough skill yet :smiley:

Not so motivated for props anymore :slight_smile:

the presets are also great! its hard in the flatlands sometimes
 but thats something i really like
 can’t count how often i could not get to the clouds / thermals with a paraglider and had to winch again :wink:

In the hallowed words of Ronald McDonald

:clown_face:
I’m Lovin’ It

1 Like

Happy new year to everybody.
I need your help to understand how is working the digital variometer. In detail, what is meaning the blu indicatorb (point 1 ) ? Also what are the set TM and NET (point 2) and the waves in the point 3.

EDIT : Sorry, one more question. This Amazing bird has the parking brake ?

Thanks a lot
Capture

I’ll be releasing a new manual tomorrow with the update going into further detail with you on this.

For now:

#1: Red and Blue Needles
Blue: Average Vario (Netto, Auto, or Total Energy)
Red: Instantaneous Vario

#2: Wind Indicator

• N,S,E,W positional
  • Wind Strength (More Ticks = Stronger Wind)

#3: Calibrated Vario Mode (Select Using Lower Right Knob)

• Netto (Reading an upward deflection to counteract the sink due to the glider polar at that airspeed.)
  • Auto
  • Total Energy (Reading the glider sink rate at the speed being flown)

Keep in mind we are working on a more advanced V8/80 that will replace this variometer once finished.

EDIT: No Parking Brakes. Brakes are also addressed in the next update and should work better and with either brake pushed (If you have a Rudder Pedal Setup)

5 Likes

All clear now.
Thanks a lot, it’s amazing job. Congratulations :slight_smile:

Awesome, the Alps are the best. The easy way is to just set a location over the mountains, start in the air. The winch always tosses me off. I flew for 145 mins before landing.

Hopefully the new update this evening will help you with Winch launch. It’s more accurate and provides better feedback and control.

6 Likes

OFFICIAL CHANGELOG (VERSION 1.0.1.):

• Updated Winch Control to Version #2 (MAJOR UPDATE)
  • Added New Canopy Hinges (3D Model)
  • Added New Textures for Hinges
  • Added Sound on Large Window (Increases Volume with Airspeed if Open)
  • Added Sound on Small Window (Increases Volume with Airspeed if Open)
  • Added Sound on AC Vent (Increases Volume with Airspeed if Open)
  • Added Clunk Sound on Air Brake Locks
  • Assigned Ballast Valve Open/Close to Landing Light Hotkey
  • Fixed Brake Sensitivity
  • Fixed Ability to Use Right and Left Brakes
  • Fixed Gear Locked on Ground
  • Fixed Registration Number Issues
  • Fixed Apron Spawning Issues
  • Fixed VR Camera Issues
  • Fixed Loading Tips
  • Fixed Checklist Name to “MacCready Ring”
  • Fixed Showcase Livery Texture Issue
  • Set Variometer to Total Energy by Default
  • Improved Adverse Yaw
  • Improved Static Stall Behavior
  • Improved Gyro Stability to Aid Recovery of Deep Spins
  • Improved Elevator Effectiveness
  • Improved Wing Sensitivity to Turbulence
  • Improved Wing Flex and Fixed Left/Right Individual Flexing
  • Included Additional Soaring - Standard (No Wind) Weather Preset

UPDATE NOW:

17 Likes

I have downloaded this update, it is included in my community folder, but when I load 2020 and look into Content Manager it is still showing version 1.0.0. . I must be doing something wrong, but after many efforts to get this update running nothing has worked. My age is 82 so my knowledge of the inner workings of computers is limited. Any assistance would be appreciated.