[RELEASED] F4F-4 Wildcat | Got Friends

That depends on our definition of “close”…
I’m sure it will be released “soon”… :wink:
Well, my definition of “soon” anyway :laughing:
(which is I don’t care until suddenly I can buy it)

2 Likes

Two weeks be sure

This is our F4F-4’s Rivet Master file. I’ve been setting them up externally from the main file to be able to keep track of everything. We’re in the ballpark of roughly 20’000 rivets on the exterior alone (ofcourse, they have been consolidated into just a handful of joined parts to ensure minimal draw calls / performance optimization). Glad this part is almost over!!!

10 Likes

Man, those are gonna be a lot for the critics to count!

3 Likes

8 Likes

Riveting video!

8 Likes

I’m hyperventilating

just gonna go ahead and,…

5 Likes

Just note this one is an FM2, really darn close to what we’re making but with a handful of differences like a larger tail, different armament, removal of window porthole, fuel capacity, etc… If anything, it may as well be considered the most “optimal” variant of the Wildcat after the Eastern Division took over production from Grumman in 1943; its not exactly the one we’re making however. While researching specifics, we found lots of resources for

• Grumman XF4F2/3 (Experimental production to replace Brewster Buffalo)
  • Grumman F4F-3 Martlet MK1 (Early 1940s production for France / Great Brittan, used in North Atlantic)
  • Grumman F4F-3A (American run for Early 1941 used for Neutrality Patrol in the Atlantic prior to US joining WW2)
  • Grumman F4F-3 (Most famously used by Lt Edward Henry “Butch” O’Hare during battle of Midway)
  • Grumman F4F-4 (Martlet MK2 Early production sent to Great Brittan)
  • Grumman F4F-4 (Last run American production from Grumman)
  • Eastern Division FM1 (basically American run F4F-4, slight changes, 2 less guns)
  • Eastern Division FM2 (What is seen the Kermit video you posted, also lots of references from AirZoo’s restoration vlogs)

I likely missed a handful of variants honestly, these were just notable ones we researched. For the record though, the Experimental series (XF4F) ran a total of 8 variants. The European Martlet ran MK1 to MKVI (6 total variants), exchanging hands after the fall of France… British them used in the North Atlantic, South to Nairobi, etc… American F4Fs were used in the defense of the Corral Sea, Wake Island, Midway, and countless Pacific patrolling missions.

Don’t even get me started on engine replacements…
From hand crank starts in old British videos of the Martlet to literal Shotgun shell starts in the States (no marketplace would not allow it, sorry chaps). It was such a wild ride. The Wildcat was fitted with so many different engines

• Pratt & Whitney R-1830-76 “Twin Wasp” 1’200HP (890kW) 14-cylinder, air cooled
  • Pratt & Whitney R-1830-86 “Twin Wasp” 1’200HP (890kW) 14-cylinder, air cooled
  • Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90/92 “Twin Wasp” 1’200HP (895kW) 14-cylinder, air cooled
  • Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S3C4-G "Twin Wasp"1’200 (895W) 14-cylinder, air cooled
  • Wright R-1820-40 “Cyclone” 1’100HP (820kW) 9-cylinder, air cooled
  • Wright R-1820-56 “Cyclone” 1’350HP (1’006kW) 9-cylinder, air cooled

Again, even more used but these are just a new notable ones we found technical and photo reference to. For those wondering, we chose to kit ours with the Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90/92 “Twin Wasp” 1’200HP (895kw) two row 14-cylinder, air cooled. We chose this engine as it was one of the last, most optimal choices in the Twin Wasp series, had some of the best visual photo and technical data for an accurate engine. Most importantly, it was used in the late F4F-3A / Early F4F-4 production just prior to the Easter Division transfer (hence Grumman F4F-4). Of course, for your flight sim pleasure, we also incorporated a Two-Stage supercharger. GotGravel has already implemented code to allow it to shift gears at 5000ft and 14000ft respectively for optimal performance and holy snap is it amazing to fly!

This has been one of the most complex projects to date for GotFriends since the Wilga. The immense amount of research on this alone far surpassed any existing project thanks to the amazing people who documented nearly every generation of Wildcat on the internet. As you know, GotGravel’s bread and butter outside of Bush Aircraft are Warbirds. His work at FlyingIrons speaks volumes on what you may expect out of our first Warbird.

We’re slowly sending out pre-alpha to some of our closest and most trusted partners. Exited to see what the Alpha/Beta team will think in the coming weeks. Yes Mort, I know you’re reading this, I’ll send you a copy early. :smiley:

17 Likes

You are correct - the FM2 is different from the Grumman built Wildcats - I think Brewster built them under license too.

And pretty sure they were quickly shut down due to poor quality of workmanship.

Loving the sounds!

Made this for you lads so you could have a closer look at progress so far:

19 Likes

What a beauty. Day one purchase for sure … depending on when it’s coming out I may even have time again to fly it (preloading Starfield right now …). :grin:

3 Likes

Less than a week away (From Starfield)!! Im so flcken’ excited dude. Between that an Alpha 3.20 hitting PTU in StarCitizen, its an amazing time to be into space simming right now.

4 Likes

Starfield Premium Edition goes live in about 28-1/2 hours. :wink:

1 Like

Between Starfield and the new Fallout series coming up ol FusionHorse is beside himself

1 Like

Focus, guys. The only star field I want to see is the one from the cockpit of my new Wildcat during a night flight over Pearl Harbor :wink:

10 Likes

:rofl: Don’t worry… it will be buggy as hell for a few months and next to unplayable until patch 3 :grimacing:

(talking about Starfield before anyone thinks I mean the F4F! :smiley: )

1 Like

And we don’t mention the PTU :grimacing:

A little flight out in the Pacific…

18 Likes