[Released] Flight Replicas P-40N

Looks like it’s available on the Marketplace. I don’t own it yet. Is it only going to be sold on the Marketplace? Too bad. I was interested in it.

Hello i do not recommend it.

1. Asobo P-51 Sounds
  2. Directional Gyro Knob turns Whiskey-Compass
  3. Mixture-Lever only cut-off and open
  4. no Drop-Tank
  5. Altitude Pressure-Window Knob turns only .04ish → 29.92 → 29.96 → 30.00 and so on
  6. Airshow Model only 2 Paints, War Model 8
  7. Parts of Textures are not up to other P-40s
3 Likes

Weird. The real P-40 had an auto-mixture system but you still would set it to “auto-rich” or “auto-lean” in flight I believe, and there are aircraft for MSFS that have this implemented like the BR Goose if memory serves.

Airshow Model only 2 Paints, War Model 8

10 paints doesn’t seem like a paltry amount to me.

Anyway, I found a couple video impressions:

I think they’re definitely overcharging for this when the IniBuilds P-40F and the BR P-40B are already out for less.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty good but I would wait for a sale. I wish I would’ve waited but the P-40 is my favorite aircraft in real life so I’m a sucker lol. It doesn’t have an external tank but I think it flies better than the iniBuilds.
My opinion is the Big Radials is the best P-40 all together. This one is easier to take off though

3 Likes

Does anyone else have massive issues with pc performance when using it? After landing on a grassfield the shock absorbers don’t stop rocking and it becomes almost impossible to taxi because I’m down to what feels like 5-10 fps. I replicated the flight afterwards with various aircraft and didn’t run into that issue. I also tried it after a reinstall of the P-40 and had the same issue.
Another issue I have is a lot of flickering of the glass surfaces, including the windshield and gunsight. Which is annoying and also effects the performance.

Edit: Regarding the lag issues, I just tested turning the windshield effects from ultra down to high. That improved it dramatically. You sadly still get flickering glass effects, but the performance is much better and the issue on landing is gone. The rocking shock absorbers were apparently not the issue but just a side effect.

I’m a bit sad to say, that overall, I’m quite disappointed with it at the moment, especially when considering the price. Flight Replicas was one of my favorite developers in FSX and the P-40 was one of my top 10 aircraft in FSX.

The MSFS version has a lot of potential, the model and textures are great and once in the air the flight model is fun, but at the moment it’s almost unusable to me. Apart from the above-mentioned issues, I didn’t expect a two-position mixture lever, that doesn’t even shut down the engine. A prop that doesn’t work as it should (The prop should reach 3000 rpm on takeoff and the rpm shouldn’t be affected by the airspeed. As it is, the prop lever isn’t of use). A Merlin soundpack (sounds good but it’s the wrong engine). And an easier takeoff & landing behavior than a 152.

I really hope Flight Replicas will fix those issues and rework some of its systems.

Okay so been flying all morning in this (Xbox cloud gaming) I have noticed occasional frame rate drops but it’s cloud sooooo.
One thing that is a little bit annoying is that when you open the canopy the engine sounds remain the same volume which is very quiet in the cockpit already. I am enjoying it a lot!!! Still a bit expensive but it is really good flying. The air show version banks right all the time and I cannot level out. I don’t think it’s supposed to do that. Military version is great. Recommend if you’re on the fence. I have had the BR version about a year now and it comes close to it. Again I’m a fanatic when it comes to the P-40 and have all 3 and I find this N better than the F if anyone is wondering between the two.
This is just my opinion
Oh I cannot seem to find a switch to turn the landing light off so ya.

I must correct what I said about the P-40 yesterday. I think my expectations were a bit to high which is why I got a bit disappointed. The issues I mentioned are there and I really hope Flight Replicas will fix them in coming updates, but I flew it 4-5 times after I had written the above and fell in love with it. It is really a lot of fun to fly. And I think visually it is probably the most authentic depiction of the P-40 so far or at least on par with the P-40F.

I did a video with it yesterday and couldn’t stop doing aerobatics with it. The P-40 is famous for its high roll rate and I think Flight Replicas did a great job simulating that.

2 Likes

Oh, I DO like the N:
Screenshot (3783) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

BUR (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

2 Likes

Flight Replicas aircraft for MSFS all have little quirks and shortcomings, but one area they have consistently knocked it out of the park is flight modeling. No other addons feel quite as good in my experience.

1 Like

You are right the L-4 is also a nice flyer and feels like a Cub/Grasshopper should. I’m also excited about the Fox Moth, Spitfire and Seafire. As I mentioned above Flight Replicas was one of my favorite developers for FSX, I had almost all of their aircraft. I just hope that with time and growing familiarity with MSFS, Flight Replicas will improve on some areas where they seem to have a few problems at the moment.

3 Likes

And if the FR team are reading this, please don’t forget to bring your Boomerang across as well! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I think you’re right it “feels” right not to heavy not to light. A really good balance. There are a few things to address on other things but it’s a great flyer

1 Like

I’m trying to set up a flight around Hawaii or even New Zealand tomorrow if anyone is interested

a bit quiet here, I hope that’s a good thing.
I finished a few more paints for this wonderful model (my favorite of the 3 P-40’s)

BU (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

HU (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

kansas (0008) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

5 Likes

So it seems this aircraft is only available on the Marketplace? They don’t even list it on their website as even existing. Has anyone heard if they are going to release this outside the Marketplace eventually (I’m happy buying it directly from them).

The P-40 has always been one of my favorite aircraft from WWII. I’m sad it was so mismanaged at the start of WWII, it could have made a difference then. Then again, armchair quarterbacking is a thing :wink:

Does this mean you will do more repaints of it? :crossed_fingers:

I have to say it has really grown on me and of the 3 P-40s it’s currently the one I fly the most. I’m very sorry I was quite harsh on it in my original post. It has a few issues, but I’m sure they will get fixed over time.

Yes, I’m hoping to do more of them. I’m currently dividing my attention between this, the Bf-108, the Caribou, the Ercoupe and I’m tempted by the MiG-15…

It’s indeed only on the marketplace and I don’t think Mike has any plans to release it anywhere else. It’s a one man operation, and maintaining a website is not high on his agenda. I’m fine with that, I’m really hoping he will bring out his B-24 and DC-4 soon…

2 Likes

That’s great news! One can’t have too many Caribou, 108 or P-40 skins =)
Would you consider doing this one? It’s one of my favorites.

I know it’s not an authentic scheme for the N-model (it’s not even that accurate for earlier P-40 models) and would totally understand if you don’t want to do it =) I’m sure I’m happy with every paint scheme you’ll do.

I would love to see Mig-15 paint schemes by you too. On many of the current schemes of the Mig the red looks a bit to metallic. I haven’t got the Ercoupe yet, but I might get tempted, especially with more of your repaints :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I updated my recent paints, as the green blotches on the wings apparently were brown (camouflage colors are always fun if you’re colorblind) and I accidentally copied and offset the panel lines on the fuselage, and while I was updating, painted yet another 49th FG aircraft, white 13:
Screenshot (1255) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1246) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1260) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1266) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and I never showed this one I think
GL(0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

3 Likes

Screenshot (1329) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1343) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

4 Likes