RELEASED! Just Flight Bae146 "the Little Jumbojet" April 29th

I fall in line with what Boston Jeremy said regarding my willingness to spend more money in past sims. I spent $80- $100+ on several singular aircraft in X-Plane 11. I won’t do that in MSFS, especially not with an aircraft that isn’t something I’ll fly all the time. I didn’t buy the Connie because the value isn’t there for how often I’d use it. I’ve regretted several aircraft, including the JF Hawk…only because it’s not my type of aircraft. I flew it once and never touched it again. I’ll be buying the Wing42 Boeing ONLY because the price is so low. It’s not an aircraft I’d otherwise be interested in.

5 Likes

Thank you!

I had the JF 146 in FSX and flew it a lot - especially after hours with that wonderful cockpit lighting.
I might get one for MSFS but here lately I am primarily interested in short GA flights - it’ll depend on reviews and pricing

Cant wait to have this in my hanger!

Very well put. If I really enjoy a particular aircraft, I will gladly pay a developer like Just Flight a fair price for the hard work, even if that “fair price” is thought expensive. It is up to each of us to decide the value of every thing in our life.

A $200.00 bottle of wine? Unlikely for me, but others may buy a case for their cellar.

It is great to have choices.

1 Like

I hope to see my JF favorite reach MSFS one day.
I simply cannot part ways from this plane and one of the only reasons I still fire up FSX these days.

6 Likes

Isn’t this more a race to the top than a race to the bottom? It is the highest priced aircraft in the sim. Not sure I understand why “race to the bottom” is even in the discussion here.

2 Likes

Read the entire thread, it’ll make sense.

1 Like

I know this will never happen but wish msfs had a trial option. This aircraft is expensive but as many have said for good quality paying such amounts is acceptable. The problem is until you yourself sit down and fly it the only way to gauge the quality is reviews/previews and developer reputation. Just Flight have a very good reputation but it is still a risk and the more expensive you go the bigger the risk is.

I wonder how many with doubts about the price would think after trying the product, you know what this is excellent I don’t mind paying extra. Would also weed out some of the lower quality developers!

This aircraft looks excellent and as mentioned Just Flight have a very good reputation for quality but at this price it may be a risk too far for many. Certainly for me.

2 Likes

I’ve read every post. It doesn’t make sense.

4 Likes

Of course every company can set the price they want, and there is no obligation whatsoever to listen to potential customer feedback, but I fully agree this price doesn’t really make sense considering the sales volume of msfs vs other sims. It will make it out of reach for quite some people and that is a shame.

That flight simming wasn’t for the masses is no reason to keep prices high, unless justified by the business case. With this price, I expect Just Flight to be counting on a huge profit which is their fair right as a business, but a shame for the affordability for the community in a broader sense.

Not decided yet if I will buy it but I might hold off until there is a sale or so.

2 Likes

Hmmm… wish I could help make sense of it. Cheers!

The thing is not that it is a race to the bottom. Like he stated, he is not asking for the 146 to be sold for like 20usd.
What many were expecting are slightly lower prices then in previos more niche sims. The 146 is set to be even more expensive then the X-plane version despite the MFS market to be a LOT bigger so the plane does not need to be that expensive to make a proffit. Quite sure they would have sold a lot more at a price between 50-60usd and have a lot less custommers scratching their head.

5 Likes

And the 1-11, VC10 and Tristar please :grin::+1:

4 Likes

The way i see it, the Arrow is £30… The 146 is double that for more than double the aircraft.
Full disclosure, I’d always buy this aircraft, almost regardless of price as its a personal favourite and probably the only airliner I’ll be flying for a while. I’m very selective about what I buy. I’m happy to save up for this one. Thats my choice. And there are some aircraft I’d pay the same again for.
So thanks JF for bringing this to MSFS. :+1:

2 Likes

It’s quite simple really: several developers so far have charged lower prices for MSFS 2020 products than what they would’ve charged in other sims. On paper, that sounds great. But it will also discourage developers from charging what they feel are appropriate prices. And if you need to cut the price, you generally need to cut the quality as well.

We’ve seen the same thing happen with mobile gaming. When the iPhone was introduced, developers sold their games on the app store. They’d charge something like 10 euros for a game. But, people complained - so many developers switched to cheaper and cheaper games, eventually settling on the ‘freemium’ model. That was a clear race to the bottom.

The result is that now NOBODY is making premium games anymore. Because clearly the market has spoken in that it prefers a cheap or free product… over a good one.

Now, having experienced that as a customer: that’s not something I want to see in this hobby. And I fear that developers will let themselves be influenced by newcomers in this hobby who aren’t used to or willing to spend good money on aircraft. They want cheap or free - which isn’t conducive to good quality products.

Hence why I happily support developers who charge good money for great products.

3 Likes

I’ve been excited about this release since the first news I ran across! Have had fun learning about the -146 and the different variants and operators over the years. There was one or two companies in California (I think?) that have more than a couple of aircraft and are converting more into aerial firefighters!

It’s a goofy little four-engined commuter jet. You’ll normally find me in the C208 or BN-2 Islander, but I’m willing to climb higher than 10,000’ and go faster than mayyyybe 170kts ground speed for this one!

Is it pricey? Sure. Have the previews so far made me want it any less? Nope. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, was really looking forward to this, but until there’s a sale I’m just not buying it. I’m not buying the “justified pricing” argument when this market is enormous, almost incomprehensibly vast compared to usual markets, you could lose every XP11 & P3D customer because they feel “ripped off” & not even notice.

The only reason for any dumbing down owuld be to make the thing work on the Xbox. I might guess that doing a seperate “dumbed down” - just to make it function - version of any aircraft for the Xbox would probably pay for itself.

Good luck though, from the preview vids the plane looks amazing, well done to the team.

6 Likes

Nonsense…it depends on the sales volume of course. High sales x lower profit margin can still be much more profitable than what was possible for other sims.

5 Likes

If I was a developer, I would be really wary of selling a complex aircraft product at a low price to boost the number of sales. The more people buy the plane, the more customer support you will have to provide, and the more involved the modelled systems are, the higher the chance customers will complain rather than RTDM if something doesn’t seem to work. JF have also been excellent in making continuous updates to the Arrow I bought, including when SUs caused the issues. This surely needs to be covered by a reasonable once-off payment for the product, unless we want to move to a monthly subscription service model? Anyway, I am OK with the price being in line with previous versions, as that is what I had been expecting and saving up for. I’d rather spend $A100 on this than $A25 each on four planes that are only so-so (this does not refer to the Wing42 Boeing).

2 Likes