RELEASED! Just Flight Bae146 "the Little Jumbojet" April 29th

You’ve explained very well what race to the bottom means. I already knew that. What you didn’t touch on is how that applies to this $80 aircraft. Explain to me how the “race to the bottom” concept applies here. At what price point would you consider this addon (the most expensive aircraft addon in the sim) to be “racing to the bottom”?

Also, how has the $20 Boeing 247D decision affected other pricing? Do you think it will?

2 Likes

JF 146 is going to be priced at $80??
Where does that number come from?
Even with a sale price I wouldn’t buy that…

3 Likes

That’s the whole point in a nutshell.

To further my earlier analogy about the wine market: some people who are huge fans of a particular winery will pay $200.00 for a bottle from their favorite winery. To a “Two Buck Chuck” drinker that’s just crazy talk, but to someone who loves that particular winery? Not so much.

Beauty is always measured in the “eye of the beholder.”

3 Likes

net sales and ROI are not ignored by any serious mfg

1 Like

Exactly, a manufacturer can charge what they like. If people want it they’ll pay for it. If they’re not that bothered, they can wait for a cheaper version. I’m kind of glad they aren’t going for mass market to be honest.

2 Likes

Ah, I see where the confusion is.

The ‘race to the bottom’ is referring to the downward pricing push from newcomers in this hobby, which at least some developers follow with lower pricing. I fear that will lead to a ‘race to the bottom’ situation.

The JF 146 is NOT following that trend; apparently deliberately so. Despite there clearly being a lot of complaints about how this is ‘too expensive’ (the downward pricing push I mentioned) The JF 146 is not racing to the bottom itself, merely exposing the broader trend.

From my perspective, as a simmer since the days of FSFW’95, I don’t feel like we’ve seen quite this many discussions regarding price as with the new sim. Because simmers who started on earlier versions are used to - have developed a tolerance for - the fact that some aircraft cost more than the entire sim. The newcomers don’t have that quite yet.

As for the 247D: since they only just announced the pricing on that, it’s not had an effect yet. I personally suspect that it’ll be a succes: looks good and is affordable. As to whether that will inspire other developers to try a lower price at the same quality level remains to be seen. Either way, I’ve got my credit card in hand for tomorrow :smiley:

2 Likes

And I don’t think it’s a wise decision. By reducing the cost but keeping the same quality, they would have sold a lot more, you just need to look here and on other forums

They could have split variants, only one for the cheaper base pack and the rest as addons

That’s the most expensive addon on MSFS right now, and I am sure the PMDG 737 will be cheaper

3 Likes

But maybe they don’t want to sell a lot more. More is not always good. It devalues a brand. There is a reason Ferrari don’t sell 20k cars. They leave that to Fiat.

Maybe I’m picking up on the pricing wrong, but are people perhaps complaining about the USD/GBP exchange rate here making the cost look high in USD. It’s a UK made add on and seems priced as expected for the level of complexity in GBP to me.

2 Likes

Okay…

There is a difference between something digital and something physicals. Also you can speculate and resell your good, here not so much.

And why in hell, would they say, we have too much money, let’s make as little people as possible fly our plane

1 Like

Its their choice. Creators can sell or not sell there products as they wish. Consumers can choose to buy it or not. You don’t have to buy it.

I’d really like an Aston Martin. I really wish they would sell it for 20k. How dare they sell it for more. Do they not want my custom?? :joy:

The price debate makes no sense to me as I’m sure they have done their research and know what’s best.
I’m just excited for this plane and all the cool airports I can fly into with it. Plus it will be neat to have a older not so modern jet airliner in the sim. Anyone know if this plane can use jet bridges? I have seen photos of them being used with this plane in real life but don’t think I have seen anything preview wise using one.

2 Likes

That would be very cool… not quite sure how that would work in MSFS, but would be a welcome feature.

I’ve flown on them several times from 6 or 7 different airports in Europe and never had a Jetway. Always just stairs and walk or bus to the terminal. It would be a very steep climb up a jetway.

1 Like

Huh so maybe the photo I saw was from a rare time that they use them or just that it was one low enough to the ground to be usableimage

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean I didn’t believe you. I saw it at Schipol years ago too, just meant I’d never experienced it :blush::+1:

I assume it could because I use jetway for the CRJ which looks the same height (roughly) as the Bae146.

2 Likes

Ansett New Zealand used air bridges almost exclusively at it’s apron at Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. It never used internal stairs at other airports such as Rotorua

I think you might have quoted the wrong thing here.

I clicked on the wrong thing but just confirming with you regarding these aircraft using jetways and that, the three major airports in NZ the BAE used the jetways