Released: MD-80

It is amazing, but as it was first along with the BAE-146 which I love, and it is expensive and has an active forum of its own, and is really not for beginners it may be low on here as people us the main forum. But it is awesome.

Has the dev said anything about improving texturing quality, both exterior and cockpit? I donā€™t want to buy a P3D port that doesnā€™t meet the MFS standard for looks.

3 Likes

The cockpit looks very beautyful and has some enhancements like that spring for the window opener is now a high-polygon 3D model, and other details.

The only thing that looks ugly in the virtual cockpit are the two dome-lights behind the two seats on the back-end of the ceiling.

Yes the cockpit breaths a used, real workhorse atmosphere with some wear and tear, not that shiny, glimmering brand new feeling.
Outside there are some issues (wheelbay) that could have been done better, but I spent 99,99% of my time in the cockpit

1 Like

This just became my desktop ā€¦ hereā€™s a bit more croppable for UHD

Someday Iā€™ll RTFM and learn the auto thrust and do away with the constant nagging freehanding her.

Speaking of RTFM I was so elated when I found Logo Light

Oh and this creeps me out for some reason, have to keep that door secure

2 Likes

The MD82 is an eye watering ā‚¬75. Is it worth it? How does it compare to the PMDG 737 and Fenix A320 quality wise? System wise?

Lucky you, I paid an eye watering 90 Euro! Yes it is 100% worth it. Its a different plane but just as detaild as the other big hitters.

Not at all. Just a P3D port. PMDG 737, Fenix, Just Flight are not ports and it shows as they are spectacular in MSFS. If you donā€™t mind rubbish textures, poor sound and paying the highest price in MSFS go for it. I know, it has amaaaazing systems :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So it is a miss then? I will rather wait for the Fokkers from JustFlight especially if they are done to the same standard as the 146.

1 Like

No, itā€™s a good plane, thereā€™s a mod for the textures if thats a problem. For me itā€™s something in between the 737 (bugs + no EFB) and the Fenix. Tbh I personally was a bit disappointed in the PMDG 737 and to the Fenix there isnā€™t a comparison anyway.

The price is just high compared to the competition, it doesnā€™t really feel worse though.

I like the MD-80 so I went for it, if you arenā€™t really interested in the plane itself, get something like the Fenix. Itā€™s my most flown airliner. I like it because its something different and older, but still not that hard to get used to, because itā€™s not too old. Got some old gauges, but also modern screens and a FMC, not too different from the 737.

1 Like

This topic has been beat to death in this thread but I love the MD-82 so Iā€™ll say it againā€¦ if you want a really cool, quirky, older airliner that does what it says on the tin, and youā€™re into flight simulation then the MD-82 is perfect and worth every penny. It also offers much higher performance than Fenix and probably a little better than PMDG. If zooming in on textures is your thing in MSFS, itā€™s not going to be as good as the others. As for a comparisonā€¦ the PMDG is cool but the FMC interface for everything is exceedingly tedious and thereā€™s still a lot of annoying bugs. The Fenix isnā€™t perfect either but itā€™s the cheapest and offers the most system modeling. I didnā€™t buy the BAE as between FBW, Fenix, PMDG and the MD-82, I have more than enough cool and unqiue planes to fly as my mood suites.

6 Likes

Yes, because why would top notch systems be important in a flight simulator? It makes much more sense to be hyper focused on a blurry texture.

1 Like

Any decent sound pack for this one yet?
Even if it is realistic by design/ engine placement this silent cockpit makes flying feel numb especially during takeoff.

FTSim+ has some nice soundsā€¦

He makes some great sounds overall, for many aircraft. Well worth the subscription.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/md80-sm-msfs-66176530

1 Like

She is a nagger through 2400 but honestly I truly enjoy this old bird

1 Like

Can we expect the MD-80 to be available on a more convenient store (MSFS Marketplace, Orbx, Contrail, etc) at some point?
Or did the devs announced they with keep this release exclusive to only one reseller?

I think they announced at release it would be exclusive, i think Simmarket wants less money if they keep it exclusive, so I wouldnt expect it to be sold anywhere else soon tbh.

1 Like

Very fussy bird out of mile high NEV really enjoyed it.

can someone enlighten me on how to set the ALT window to select 100ft increments??

i use the TSS MD80 soundpack, just drag the WAV files into maddog sound folder and use MSFSlayoutgen. much more enjoyable & authentic

1 Like