Released: MD-80

I find that weird. And honestly i think this probably is because you perhaps enjoy the plane type and workflow and it’s quircks more. As quality wise as a module the MD-82 is not even close i’d say?

This i can relate to as it is very much a fun plane to operate just very much lacking in mainly sound and visuals.

1 Like

Standart sound is not really the best. Especially the engine sounds. But I just modded the TSS Soundpack into it and know I feel comfortable with engine sounds. Rest is top notch.

3 Likes

From a technical standpoint, the MD82 is not on the PMDG or Fenix level when it comes to sound and graphics.
The only technical aspect where the MD82 is better than PMDG/Fenix is performance/fps.

However, what makes this plane so great for me is that it oozes atmosphere and it is more fun to hand fly than any of the other planes in my opinion.

A flight in the MD82 feels fun & challenging while a flight in the A320 feels more routine/sterile.

I’m aware this is all very subjective and surely different for everybody.

6 Likes

K at FTSim+ (Patreon) has an excellent sound-set for the MD-82 that has a couple of options, in terms of whether you like to have louder sounds in the cockpit (not realistic, but I prefer w/loudness) or not, and his set is “position specific”. So, if you like to sit as a passenger in the back rows, it’s very nice! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks heaps for the replies regarding me getting the MD80.
Going to definitely mull it over and see what comes out over the next few months especially regarding the F28 etc…
I heard or read something about mouse interactions or the lack of mouse operations…?
What was that regarding? Guessing nobs and what not are scrollable etc

1 Like

You can left click and right click knobs/switches, scroll wheel is also working

The only knob that is different is the altitude select knob, to get 100’s of feet instead of thousands, you need to press your tab key while mousing.

Think there might be another right click on mouse or something, but in VR, that right click does zoom, but tab works fine in VR.

cannot find this option… and bolumetric strobes ( inside clouds / fog ) un wingview?

I just purchased, solely to relive the glory days of YX. have you found a livery for it?

Been flying this again recently. Actually gotten better at landing it surprisingly. Despite its issues as an addon which are well documented, it is nevertheless an absolute pleasure to fly overall.

5 Likes

Does anyone know how to recharge the EFB’s battery? Or I have to reload the flight?

New MD80 update coming out next week:

5 Likes

Already released for me and downloading.

1 Like

I can confirm; Version 1.2b147 is available for Download :wink:

Done a few flights with the new update. The checklists and full manual (with chapter markers) in the EFB is nice. The new persistence (of condition, not panel state) looks quite interesting. Prompted me to turn on realistic mode and hope for the best :stuck_out_tongue: I guess its time to familiarise with the non normal checklists in case something happens.

So far nothing has gone wrong though. I’m sticking to the default MTBF values.

2 Likes

I tried to fly the new update yesterday. Unfortunately, I ran into a weird issue that I had once before where once APU is up and running and you try to start engines, enabling fuel then holding starter down for 10 seconds results in engine being on fire and the only way to put it out is to use the fire handle, which terminates any ability to carry on the flight. That wasted about an hour of configuration time for me and I flew the route using B737. :frowning:
Really was in the mood to fly the MD-82 yesterday. Maybe later today I will try again.

1 Like

Are you turning the fuel on before engaging the starter? You should never do that on a JT8 engine (simulated or real) or an engine fire (or worse) is very likely. The starter should be engaged until the N2 reaches at least 20 percent, then introduce fuel.

1 Like

Yes, I was. It comes to the difference between Boeing and this bird. I was told to put both fuel levers up before engaging the starter whereas on B737 you’d wait until N2 reaches 25% before introducing fuel. Is that it? Should I wait until moving both levers up? Also, technically… if you did that on the real aircraft, I wonder why it would result in fire

And WHY is the question, I guess

Far as I know it is the case on ALL turbine engines that fuel should not be introduced until the compressor is spinning at a sufficient rate. The reason being airflow is needed to cool the engine and if insufficient airflow is present prior to ignition you get a hotstart or fire. Only time I can imagine “turning on” fuel prior would be something with FADEC in which case the fuel is still being introduced at the appropriate time by the computer despite you turning it on. The maddog does not have FADEC.

I don’t know who gave you this advice to turn on fuel first :frowning: but these are the normal procedures from Leonardos manual.

In sim what you need to do is engage the start switch using the scroll wheel which will cause to be held down, freeing you to introduce fuel at 20% N2. You can then flip it up when 40% n2 is achieved.

2 Likes