Released: MD-80

For the sounds, if you got an extra $2 i can really recommend the FTSim+ sound, if not realistic, at least theyre far better than the stock sounds. I think there’s on flightsim.to also a mod for the cockpit textures, but idk if it is made for all colour versions. Exterior still could see improvement, hoping they’ll improve it at some point. The passenger cabin lights seem to be dependant on the seat belt signs, if on they’re dimmed, at least thats what i found on the november changelog.

2 Likes

We must have been on the same wavelength.

I too have been waiting, and hoping, for a sale… So forked out the 75EUR Christmas Eve. Then had to figure out how to update navdata (got that done :wink: ) and now trying to add some liveries. Seems like the Livery Manager way is kind of a pita, so just downloading from flightsim.to and placing them in the community folder (Using Addon Manager) is the easiest way.

I do have the soundpack from FTSim+, so will switch to that, and hope they will update cockpit textures.
Now looking for some more weathered paints.

Happy New Year and enjoy flying this beautiful aircraft.

Since I fly the Rotate MD-80 in X-Plane, I am sure I will be having a lot of fun flying this bird in FS2020 going forward.

2 Likes

Yeah, the whole “port” thing is getting old. I find it to be EXCELLENT. I have struggled one time (most recently) because engines catch on fire when I try to start them. I haven’t had this problem before, but two separate sessions resulted in a fire and ALL the workflow time was wasted… about 40 mins each time. I quit out of frustration and went and completed the flight on the 737.

I love this aircraft. If anyone has any insight to the engine fire issue, I am all ears.

If anyone is doubting this aircraft, please just buy it. It’s really worth it even if it’s priced steep. It’s the airliner that gives me the most challenges to fly. Takes a WHILE to get to know it and learn how it works because it’s not all Boeing or Airbus… it’s actually kinda something in-between, but it’s pretty quirky and yes… challenging.

4 Likes

Anyone know how to get rid of the aircraft computer barking something that sounds like Mud flap on takeoff? I have all the dial a flap dialed in, slats in position, and such…. once aircraft gets airborne she stops squaking…

1 Like

I have the same issue on some takeoffs.
Can’t understand what the computer is saying so I don’t know what the problem is :thinking:

2 Likes

I fly this thing bit over at my friends and tbh the port thing is justified.
Had it been a 45/50 euro plane i’d be fine with it but at the price it is at, everything better be absolutely fantastic.

But it isn’t, for me the only things it has going for it is that is is an MD-82. The cockpit has a nice atmosphere.

However as someone who really loves immersion one of the absolute worst things is the sounds, or lack there of.
Comming from the 146 and 736 the cockpit sounds are godawefull. And i don’t mean engine sounds, those are quiet in a Maddog.
Just the lack of good electric, ventilation, switch and other ambient sounds is not acceptable at that price.

As for the flying, really it is not that far off from a 736.
I only fly it rarely and it is the same straight forward flow. It is like 95% the same.
Get it loaded, start her up, program the box, set MCP set flaps and get going.

It is an arguably overall (much)lower quality package then the 737’s, 146 and a320 at a much higher price.

Yes it is an MD-82, yes it is fun to fly but the price is a joke.

4 Likes

This is the last major airliner I’ve resisted getting hoping for a sale but I’m guessing they don’t do sales.

I did have a specific question for owners of the Maddog who use time acceleration, which I use frequently as I don’t have time to do real time 2+ hour flights. pmdg 737s can handle 8x no problem (and even have visual indication) but other planes are restricted to 2x (Fenix) or become a mess above 2x (a310). (btw, there is recent yt video by 737NG Driver on this)

Question: Can the Maddog handle 8x time acceleration during flights like pmdg 737? If so, I will probably take the plunge on this one as I love old/new mix of a310 but only use that for short filghts.

“fun to fly”

I’m a no time to RTFM seat of pants maybe too many drinks guy and the MadDog is just fun.

As for the price, when I flip down the sun visor and it work boss I get a smug grin.

Edit: seriously the sunscreen effect is worth it for me

Too bad someone does not clean up cockpit, and make it look nicer. It looks like it flew out of a junkyard. I have seen cleaner cockpits in real life, so they exist…

1 Like

IMO if they charge this much, they better not rely on the customers to do the cleaning up of textures etc… this was initally my target for the only study level airliner I want to own, as the MD82 is iconic, but then seeing the price, and the immersion from Fenix, I just call it a day and save $25 and for a plane with better texture. Thing is for a company insist on the high price yet don’t outshine competition in everyaspect, I don’t have faith that they will update the plane and fix the bugs as effectively.

2 Likes

There was a long lag in development over the summer due to having to create an external app to overcome sim limitations, but I’ve been following their forums closely and there have been recent significant updates and it looks like more frequent updates planned in '23.

Fenix wins across the board in a comparison but is a very different airplane. Much more automated and I kind of find it less “fun” to fly compared to more hands-on planes like A310 or even 737. I think there is a mod to increase cockpit texture resolution in the MD82 and a few interesting real life videos that talk about the uniqueness of the plane and why some pilots loved it. I’m planning on buying tomorrow and spend the new year learning a new plane well aware of the issues with sounds and textures with hope that Leonardo will come through with more updates. I was waiting for a sale but I don’t think that will happen.

Well, you will not find a “clean” cockpit of the MD-80 in RL, as they just are no longer made :wink:

There is a mod on flightsim.to for the cockpit textures that does make quite a difference.

Personally, I like the Mod to get a better quality cockpit, but with the RL “wear and tear”

3 Likes

There is a private MD-80 that is a business jet at my airport. The cockpit is super clean still.

They can also represent what it was like new, instead of all dirty.

It looks like they need a bottle of Simple Green to clean the dust and dirt all over, really stands out in VR.

But then I don’t like being in a dirty car or aircraft IRL…. so maybe its just me….

My hording shakes are getting severe again and I am looking at purchasing the MD-82 and thought…
What a better place to start, than the rational and sound ‘counseling’ community, here, that will surely tell me…
“No!!! Keep that wallet in your pocket!!” You dont need to buy anymore aircraft…!!!"

How is the MD-82? Do I need it should I have the BAe, PMDG 737/8, CRJ550-1000, pipers and everything inbetween and why I shouldn’t wear out my card anymore :unamused: :money_mouth_face:

Outside of the obvious ‘low textures’ issue
Are there any key features that are missing, little quirks, or, not like I have with the other aircraft that would leave me not enjoying this aircraft??

Is there something wow :ok_hand: that makes this aircraft in any form or any way that has you guys flying this, every time??!!!

Give me your top 3 pros and cons and council me in anyway why I should fight my aircraft hording issues :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I fly it at a friend sometimes and will never buy it myself in the current state.

Pro’s:
Good system modeling
It’s an MD-82
Good visual atmosphere

Con’s
Rediculous price compared to compeditors
Sub par graphics
Terrible sound, specially after the 737, 320 and 146. Even the free 320 sounds indefinetely better
Little value for money. One version only.

For me, specially the lack of good (or decent even) sound is a enormous immersion killer.
At that price you’d expect a plane that is absolutely top quality in all areas. But really all 3 other payware planes are just better and cost considerably less.

Save your money for an actually good plane like the ones comming, Fokker, RJ, 777, 757, MD-11 (maybe)

3 Likes

Poor sound inside and out. But not in quality but the mix is not done well. The problem is the engines. You don’t hear much of your engines in the cockpit in a DC9/MD80 which is correct. They are far back behind the cockpit, in flight wind noices are much stronger. But that is not the whole truth. In 2000 I was on a student exchange in the USA and when we flew back to Minneapolis to catch the plane back to Europe the captain happened to be the uncle of my exchange student and the aircraft was a North West DC-9, I think a -32. Thanks to this cooincidence I ended up on the jumpseat. The airplane was a bit shorter than the -82 but the effect was the same: In flight above ~250 kts the engines were not audible at all. But they were clearly audible on the ground and all above during takeoff and approach. Not necessarily via the direct line and the air but the airframe transmitted the sound very well, it was an intense buzzing sound that changed in pitch and intensity when they moved the throttles. All this is missing in the Leonardo MD82 and they insist on the opinion that the engines would not be heard.

Beside that and the ported visuals it’s a wonderful addon that has given me many hours of pleasure. I a into old jets and they improve it further. I personally wouldn’t get it for the full price again knowing other devs’ price tags now but in a possible sale it’s one of the top addons for MSFS.

2 Likes

After realizing there would be no sale for the old workhorse, I ended up closing my eyes and hitting the “buy” button.

Despite the issues reported I am loving flying (working) this bird in FS2020.

Btw 737NG Driver did a comparison on the best airliners in FS2020, and the Maddog was amongst them.

If you enjoy flying the MD-80 (for instance the Rotate MD-80 in X-Plane), then I would get it. But if it’s just to “have it” I wouldn’t spend the money on it.

I bought the MD82 recently and it replaced the Fenix as my favorite MSFS plane.
Only regret I have is that I didn’t buy it earlier…

2 Likes

Same bought it right before Christmas. Love it. Especially with GSX Pro

How is the sound? Does it get laud when you move towards the back? Does it have wingflex?

1 Like