[RELEASED] RealTurb CAT Areas Global for MSFS

I dont know this product from past sims, i cant find too much info about it.
But a question popped up in my head:

Does the current Weather-Engine already cover CAT (clear air turbulence) areas?
I would say i have experienced it already in the Sim, and it matched with a weather chart from simbrief. So i guess, its already there.

But im not sure if there was any official word about that somewhere?

So, is this a “must have” or a “nice to have” or even, not necessary at all?

1 Like

They have pretty good reviews on their P3D version.

Yeah, on P3D, i can understand. It doesnt have a weather engine built in at all. But MSFS does, so, do we have CAT covered already or not? :thinking:

2 Likes

I guess the question would be wether MeteoBlue has CAT data that is entered into the sim from the forecast modeling. The only other way is from real world pilot reports. I doubt they are using those. I to have experienced CAT and mountain wave in the sim especially with a strong jet stream or large temperature lapse rates. It is pretty amazing that even exists in the virtual world.

1 Like

Anyone purchase yet? Is an external application necessary?

Im just a bit worried to install a dozen of external running AddOns that dont seem really necessary.

Fenix app
Spad.next
Fs2crew
Navigraph simlink
Navigraph charts
Pushback express
VA trackers
Volanta
FSUIPC
….

Wasnt too impressed with FSRealistic, so i got rid of it

Now we should run RealTurb aswell, which i THINK, isnt even necessary

Its getting a bit out of hand, even if the impact of this apps on cpu load is quite neglibe…

5 Likes

I would like to know too…

Yeah, waiting for some volunteer too :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Per the dev on Facebook:

The application path was the most optimal way to make RealTurb CAT Areas Global possible, given all the SDK limitations that still exist.
You can choose any installation path you want during the installation process and you don’t have to load anything manually afterwards. The application will autoload when you load MSFS.

I tried it out today. I think I did it properly. You just unzip and install, and it should auto-detect with MSFS is launched and running. I didn’t see any visual indicated it was loaded, though, like you would with FSRealstic. I’m pretty sure I could tell a difference in the flight. It was only 12 bucks, so whatever makes it more realistic, the better. The answer to the question of “is it worth it” is, “do you have 12 bucks you don’t care to lose?”. It is a 3rd party app, but from what I can tell, you’ll never need to launch it or do anything once installed.

2 Likes

Just picked it up, will try it out on next flight.

2 Likes

Waiting for your impressions :wink:

So I downloaded this and haven’t noticed anything new? What are good areas of the world to try?

I was also curious if this added anything tangible…following

From their Facebook

The areas of turbulence are not random or whenever the aircraft is overflying terrain. It will actually create these effects when within the real world’s Clear Air Turbulence areas. Furthermore when within the CAT area, it will also calculate the severity of the turbulence based on the aircraft’s position in the vertical envelope (if you are well within the vertical envelope or in the edge), the area’s weather trend (ie. weakening, no change, intensifying etc) and calculate the overall effects to reach the aircraft.

So I’m wondering, if I look on say Meteoblue at the CAT map,

If that is where I would expect to find it.

I’ve completed a few flights and didn’t really notice anything until today. Was flying into KPWK and took a few good bumps.

I checked the CAT charts on meteoblue and they actually did indicate it in the area I was in.

Was it the app? the sim? dumb luck? you’ll never really know since there is nothing in the app (it doesn’t actually run) or log that tells you what it’s doing and when.

It was $12 and when I hit some turbulence I’ll tell myself it was $12 well spent :wink:

5 Likes

Haha, good one :rofl::+1:t3:

Ill make sure to keep an eye out on CAT areas ans see what the default sim does there, will report back after my next flights :grin:

1 Like

In real life, isn’t CAT picked up by the weather radar? (Or at least one mode of the weather radar…) I think this would be even better if, you know, the sim actually did radar properly…

Unfortunately not. Clear air turbulence is usually due to the jet stream wind shift and isn’t due to convective activity. Radar only shows precipitation echo returns, and with that, we can infer that there will be rough air based on the intensity of those returns.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! I assume, then, that Tx mode on the radar set is for getting returns on turbulence within clouds? (Which makes sense, as that turbulence would have water droplets in it to reflect the beam…)