Removing a mod after a Microsoft update?

Hello,

I am a little reluctant about installing mods, especially the ones that make fixes in files of the existing aircraft (e.g. the TBM-930 lighting fix). I am wondering what will happen if Microsoft makes other (or similar) fixes themselves in a next update. Will the Microsoft update then overwrite the modded files or will the files be overwritten by the mod again (assuming that the mod is still existing in the community folder)?
Then I will probably end up with a file that does not contain the Microsoft fixes anymore.

Is it at that stage still possible to uninstall the mod, by removing it from the community folder (assuming it works this way)? And if I do, will the state of the modded file be reverted to the latest Microsoft version or to the previous version (before the update)? Will I then ever be able to get the latest Microsoft version of that file again?

I hope someone can explain how this works or point me to a location where I can read how this works.

Thanks,
Michiel

1 Like

The mod files go in your community folder, MS and ASOBO don’t alter those files. So your mods are safe. The unknown is what ASOBO/MS will change in the patch which may alter how a mod works or communicates. This has happened almost every patch so far, bearing in mind the mod alters the base game files upon loading. Most mod makers are quick to fix/patch the mods to ensure compatibility within usually 24hrs of patch release.

If you are still concerned empty the contents of you community folder prior to downloading the patch. After patching re add them, if you encounter issues, it’s the mod not the patch and either wait for an update to the mod or remove from the community folder.

1 Like

While an update WILL NOT touch your mods, change them, delete them, etc, changes made to the base sim may change the way mods work with the sim. In some cases, these mods may cause crashes or other unpredictable bugs.

For months now, the patch notes have always stressed that users should empty the contents of their community folder before running an update. Once the update is complete, run the sim at least once to ensure that everything is working as it should before adding your mods back in.

I would personally recommend adding in your mods a few at a time. Start with key ones that you use regularly (Working Title Garmin mods, FBW A320, etc), and test that again. Once you’re sure that works, then start adding the rest.

So far, most of the reputable mod devs will have a patch available for compatibility with the new version of the sim (where it’s required) within a day or two. Now with the new system Microsobo have in place, key 3rd party mod teams should have preview builds of the new patch some time before it’s ready so they can have their mods updated and compatible with the new version on the same day it’s launched.

1 Like

The way mods work in MSFS is a little different.
The sim looks at the community folder for mods and uses these first rather than the default.
The only problem arises when sim updates occur.
They change the base sim, so often a mod won’t work, or causes a conflict.
That’s why it is recommended to empty your community folder before an update, trying the sim, and then replacing the mods bit by bit, ensuring they do not cause issues.

Make a copy of original files if the mod gets you to change anything in the default files.
Before an update, remove the altered file, and replace it with the original.

2 Likes

Just to add to the above since they don’t explicitly answer the question: yes, you can remove mods from the Community folder after the update. The folder is checked every time you start the sim (or load a flight, not sure which), so if you forget during the update, that doesn’t matter.
The sim on next restart will check the folder, see nothing’s there and load the default files.

2 Likes

It is checked when the sim is started.
Anything added later doesn’t show up, and stuff removed after it is started often leads to a CTD.

What the patch notes say is that we should empty the contents of the community folder if we find the sim is unstable after the update. They do not say and never have as far as I can tell, although I am willing to concede if you can prove otherwise with an actual link to a patch note that says what you say it does, that the community folder should be emptied before updating.

Actually, I went and reviewed the notes and I stand corrected.

“Some packages in your community folder may not have been updated and, as a result, may have an unexpected impact on the title’s performance and behavior. Please move your community package(s) to another folder before relaunching the title if you suffer from stability issues or long loading times.”

I do recall a CM posting in one of the multitudes of “the update broke mah sim” posts that it was better practice to just remove mods and run the sim at least once without them to ensure everything worked properly. And I tend to err on the side of caution and do this myself. That’s a sure-fire way to ensure that you can easily track down which, if any, mod is causing an issue.

1 Like

It’s the oposite. It first loads the official files and then the mods which might overwrite them (they could also just add new stuff). There is absolutely no harm in keeping the mods during an update. It’s just if you have issues you might need to remove them afterwards (after testing).
I would say scenery mods are mostly harmless. But if Asobo modifies some aircraft files and then you overwrite those or a mod depends on an older version which works differently, you might not have the new improvements, some conflicts or possibly a crash.
In that case you just remove the mod until it’s author comes up with an update.

1 Like

You could leave the community folder there and briefly rename it a 1 or something. And create a new empty community folder where the Sim is looking for it, right? Then you don’t have to copy it back and forth.

If you rename the community folder, the sim will actually create a new community folder on next start. So that works as well.

2 Likes

Thanks I appreciate you posting the info.
I was trying to resay that in a way that made a bit more sense to folks that aren’t so computer literate.
I guess I didn’t do so good, huh!
Personally I don’t remove any files. If I have an issue after an update, the first thing I look at will be things in that folder.

Thank you all for the replies! That cleared it up for me. It’s good to know that I can “safely” try out a new mod and also remove it again, without the worry that my base files get corrupted when Microsoft performs an update.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good idea, nice and quick and we can always quickly try the old content again that way too.

Personally, I just have a _Backup folder that lives at the top of my community folder. I just grab the contents of my community folder and move it in there before each update. It’s pretty much an instantaneous move. In any case, the end result is the same in that it clears up your community folder and you run the game vanilla.

I sort of stumbled into doing what I do.
I did the rename thingy at first, then once I forgot, and the update was in progress before it hit me.
That of course was the livery issue update, so after squaring things away, I realized I could leave it alone and deal with issues if they arose.

I have rather a lot in my folder so its a chore to move it all hence liking the renaming suggestion. But I do have a backup too.

Open Community folder (have a quick access link in Windows Explorer to it)
Ctrl+A to Select All
Ctrl+ Click _Backup to deselect
Drag to _Backup
Done

I don’t know, but sounds pretty quick to me. lol Yeah, renaming is definitely faster though. No arguing that.

1 Like

I run a number of mods in teh Community folder. I wont run mods which modify original files in the Official folder. Well, not knowingly anyway.

But something has been messing with my TBM930 files in the Official folder. Does anyone know which mod does this? I’m concerned thatit may cause problems with the next Sim Update, as even after removing all the mods from the Community folder and restarting the sim, these changed files persist.

Ok to restore, delete the flight_model.cfg, and rename the one marked -original.cfg to flight_model.cfg.
same with the other entry.