Reno Air Races RPM settings

From memory, this is controlled by Options > Assistance > User Interface > Heads Up Display (HUD) in Cockpit View (OFF, MINIMAL, FULL). I have it set to MINIMAL in these videos, OFF when playing in free world because it gets in the way of instruments. Good job on improving your time! Keep practicing :slight_smile:

Main advice for T-6 would be to:

• Bank as slow as possible, you can lose a lot of speed to fast banking.
  • To make that workable, go in the turns a bit wide. For main straight target the windsock, for the back straight I use the mountains in background. Check video to see what I mean.

Sometimes i fell like I’m the dirty tricks announcer.
Effectively I wasn’t able to prove that fuel consumption (and lower weight) is significant to the races performance in the game.
One thing that makes a good difference when you freeze the game using active pause is a better initial speed and the right RPM settings just in the beginning of the race.
In an instance of my trials freezing before crossing the start pylon, i left the aircraft in a nose up position and noticed that the freezed aircraft speed performance was going worse with lower RPM ( makes sense, higher propeller pitch are good for descents and level flight we could say that pitch is similar to a gear shift in a car or bicycle higher pitch pulls more air but demand greater torque from the engine).
The new dirty trick that I found is:
Before crossing the start line, pull the stick back and forward in order to freeze the airplane in nose down attitude (you must be below the maximum altitude) with the aircraft freezed set the rpm to 3300 and you wil start your race at 430Kt in oposition to the regular start speed of 350/360.
Sure you will need to follow FMX1937 advices on how to get best track performance.
I’m not a good pilot, even using these tricks I’m now in the 12th position in unlimited time trials.

Thanks for sharing this. At first i thought is that cheating ? But i dont think so now as it is similar to what pilots would do in IRL, they practice, practice, practice and try all kinds of tricks if you want to call them that. A good example is you will see 100 MPH tape on areas of the aircraft to improve airflow and reduce drag. Should all of the race airplanes be set be to the max performance right out of the gate ? NO this is a sim, not cum by ya everybody wins. The fun is trying new things and learning and sharing from others to improve ones performance.

Nice video FMX , Interesting that the RPM on the screen and in cockpit dont match IE: screen 2100 cockpit 2900 plus ?? May i ask what controls you are using ? Thank you be safe

From what I was explained, the difference in RPM is because there aretwo kinds of RPM: engine RPM and propeller RPM. The values described in this post are propeller RPMs but gotcha screen displays engine. There is a gear between those two. The HUD, although labeled “ENGINE”, is displaying prop RPM. Just to be clear I don’t have a reason to believe this is wrong but I also don’t have the knowledge to check it, just relaying the info I got.

Controls: I use a Thrustmaster T16000, however the throttle is bound to prop pitch with some custom sensitivity settings to make it much easier and faster to set RPMs at the start of a race (keep it in position, bump it back and forth once about an inch at the start for position to register)

Yes you are right the hud says engine rpm but it changes when you adjust prop pitch. and the standard rpm in cockpit change’s with the prop pitch. some of the AT6 (like sixshooter) have a tachometer in them that reads prop pitch. thankyou for the info. Oh and i brought my time down to the 7.22.xxx into the top 25 group. i see most all of those times are in either gotcha or six shooter, i wonder if they are the fastest for some reason or just preferred ? be safe

I never flew piston engines as sophisticated as the Mustang’s but, from what I’ve read in the pilots manual, there is no gearbox between the engine axis and the propeller, most aeronautical internal combustion engines are kind of direct thrust.
When we change the propeller pitch, the RPM varies in the tachometer because in higher pitches (higher prop. attack angle) the propulsion system (engine + propeller) is pushing more air, and in consequence we have a greater resistance in the axis, demanding more torque from the engine.
There are ideal relations between propeller pitch and engine power for each aircraft (even for different aircraft configurations), normally we use a lower pitch/high traction/ lower final speed for departure/climb and a higher pitch/lower traction/ higher final speed for enroute flight.
So the secret is to find which is the more efficient pitch (represented to the pilot as tachometer RPM) with the engine in full throttle and “playing” with the propeller pitch.
I didn’t dive into the T-6 in the simulator but I’ve already able to see that the VNE (speed not to be exceeded) is between 215 and 220 kt at or above this threshold a catastrofic failure happens and the aircraft is respawned.
Meanwhile, i saw that the Mustang has some automation in the moto propulsion system limiting maximum speed around 440kt.
If you want to test, try to freeze the aircraft in an attitude of 20° nose down and reduce the RPM to 3200. You will see that the propeller government system will automatically bring the RPM to 3300 and you can’t get it under this value.
In real aircraft it looks like an air brake, when we reduce the propeller pitch it works as a drag, preventing speed increase in a dive.
We could say that a propeller in a 0° Pitch angle works as a flat disc, on the other hand, most of the modern propellers can be set to a 90° pitch angle “feathered”, to reduce drag in case of an engine failure.
If you go beyond 0° or 90° pitch you enter in the negative side of thrust, the propeller aircraft capable of using reverse thrust are in fact going below 0° of pitch angle.
Well, I wrote too much, just to say that the difference between the RPM in the HUD and the Tachometer indication in the aircraft panel is probably a software glitch.
I hope that my poor command of the English is enough to make my point, and explain a little about propeller pitch, engine RPM and propulsion system power.

Yep i experienced that in a shallow dive approaching the Stead runway for a low pass after adjusting the prop pitch for max speed. thank you for the info

The T-6 effectively have it’s propeller directly connected to the engine, like most planes.
But in the Mustang there is a gearbox between the V12 Merlin and it’s propeller.

You are right, I read the pilot training manual and saw no information about it, but in internet drawings we can see clearly that there is a reduction gear linking the engine axis to the propeller axis.
Anyway, considering that races are performed in low altitude, without need to use the suercharger, the pilot has only one RPM indicator, the manifold pressure and the propeller pitch lever position to adjust power.
As the throttle is full open and the mixture is in AUTO, the only thing that can be changed is the propeller pitch, and the practical indication to be used is the RPM.
If someone have a hint about using manifold pressure instead of RPM, please let us know.

Why not join us in a voice channel at MSFS 2020 Reno Air Racing International. We race regularly with players from many countries

Agreed totally

MODERATOR EDIT:
Hello
would be happy if someone could tell me where I can find the RPM setting at Reno Air Race.
Thank you

Hallo,
würde mich freuen wenn mir jemand sagen könnte wo ich die RPM-Einstellung finden kann bei Reno Air Race.
Danke

Sorry for the late answer, I belive That you already have the answer since you are among the top racers.

MODERATOR EDIT:
Hello and thank you for your answer,
my new question would be, if I go to Reno Air Race because American servers to play with them, I just have to click on the server or pay attention to something else.
Thanks in advance.

Hallo und danke für deine Antwort,
meine neue Frage wäre, wenn ich bei Reno Air Race auf denn Amerikanischen Server gehe um mit denen zu spielen, muss ich nur den Server anklicken oder noch etwas beachten.
Danke im voraus .

I have no idea, I fly from Brazil and never changed the server, I belittle that you will have to se if latency isn’t going to hurt you racing performance.
Best regards

MODERATOR EDIT:
Hello
in this game it will not matter, in shooters play a lot more.
I personally change the server; if there is nothing going on in Western Europe.
Greetings from Germany

Hallo ,
bei diesem Spiel wird es nicht von Bedeutung sein, bei Shooter spielen um einiges mehr.
Ich persönlich Wechsel den Server; wenn auf Westeuropa nichts los ist.
Gruß aus Deutschland

MODERATOR EDIT:
Hello
games are yesterday also on the American server, also goes very well.
Greeting

Hallo,
spiele seid gestern auch auf den Amerikanischen Server, geht auch sehr gut.
Gruß

Yes, You just beat me twice, we have to play more often.

Saudações do Brasil!

Das zweite Rennen ist sehr glücklich für mich ausgegangen, es waren spannende Rennen.
Wir sehen uns, beim nächsten Rennen.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Mod Edit: English Translation

The second race ended very happily for me, they were exciting races.
See you at the next race.
Sincerely,