Repeated crash to the Windows desktop

I made a summury e.g. here

Most issues with this is memory overcloacking with XMP mode, other hardware issues and in rare cases software conflict ( example MSI Afterburner ).

If I see your error reports, it points to driver issues, possible because you switched the cards , or it is possible the card itself which is issued… ( what PSU you own ? )

Ps: older issues are like the Text2Speach-Setting, but more rare CTDs.

I am having the same issue that seemed to start just today, I will check event log, if I can find it

1 Like

after installing new nvidia driver version ?

It looks to me like the latest MFS 2020 update went wrong for me. Before I had an Nvidia 1660 Super OC and it worked without problem in Ultra but at 17 FPS. Replaying yesterday I started having my first crashes, then I traded my card and the game became unplayable.

My hardware and software setup was 100% functional before this. On the other hand my RTX 3080 only gave me 28 FPS at first, then after uninstalling and reinstalling the game for the first time, I upgraded to 38 FPS.

The game seems to compromise the video driver … The video driver is up to date and fully functional in all my other games.

I have a power supply delivering 1000 Watts of power which is 80 Plus Platinum certified, no worries on this point.

YES. I Installed that driver.

It is not related to the pilot, yesterday there was another one and it was not working either.

thank you, I will go there.

Please inform me how to post the event log…Thanks

Hi Phil, I can locate the event viewer easily enough, I just don’t know what to do with the info or how to send it to someone who does

It doesn’t matter, if you can’t do it.

Have you tried doing a completely fresh Nvidia driver install by removing it completly and not just doing the update.

do you overclock your CPU?

if so, try to disable the oc (reset bios settings to default)

i got the ctd issue after the simupdate3. apparently it doesn’t like an oc-ed cpu.

(fyi other games are fine with my oc cpu)

I’m getting CTD’s now every time after latest update. 40 min flying max, and it crashes. I have nothing in community folder. I’m so turned off setting up any full flight because I now anticipate it will CTD. Pathetic actually.
(i7 10700k, 3080, 32g, no OC)

2 Likes

I’ve been having the same problem since the last update. Before then, it was working fine. Then all of a sudden I’m getting all sorts of erratic behavior:

1. MSFS was loading, then stalling for minutes at something like 360k memory usage. Then it would miraculously go to the opening screen, take forever on that, then if I was lucky would go to the update screens and maybe I’d get a main menu. This seemed to be fixed by upgrading the nVidia graphics driver. Go figure.

2. Before that was as bad an issue, I had repeated crashes about 40 minutes in. This happened multiple times between Dallas and KMCI, as well as on the West Coast at one point. Still happening.

3. Now I have an issue where MSFS will load within an appropriate time frame and get to the update screen. At about 75% progress bar it promptly crashes to desktop.

4. The CTD when starting a second flight is a bug that has been around through at least one update now.

The errors in the application log are next to worthless. The crashes appear to be in seemingly random modules, either FlightSimulator.exe itself, random DLLs (nvwgf2umx_cfg.dl, d3d11.dll, and some desktop core DLL). Asobo’s response was the usual form letter saying disable all community mods, disable overclocking, turn off antivirus, run as administrator, and the usual nonsense. None of it works.

The only thing left to do is wipe it and completely reinstall it. Ordinarily I’d have a difficult time believing that the program can’t verify its own files, but given what I’ve seen with this rollout nothing surprises me anymore. We have nonfunctional planes, no ability to load and save flight plans in the Garmin, basic aerodynamic oversights, a community mod system produced by Asobo which doesn’t perform sanity checking and allows the mods to crash the game with no indication of what went wrong, no error messages which are worth anything, and a default response from the developer to remove all community mods even though they’ve been complicit in them being promoted on the commercial secondary market.

Right now, what we’re getting from the developer is basically:

Customer: Your program is crashing with no indication as to why.
Asobo: Turn it off and turn it back on again. Update graphics drivers. Reinstall the entire thing. Uh, reinstall the entire OS.

I’m about ready to go back to X-Plane which, while maybe not pretty, actually works.

3 Likes

It’s now become so “unprofessional”, it borders on criminal! It’s like this would make a great story about a huge corporate “scam” to fleece the public.
Perhaps it never really was ever a finished and tested/proven game? Promises and promos made before release depicting a functional and improved 21st century version of FS. Perhaps it was all intended, to grab millions of dollars, then worry about resolves down the road (where we are today)?
Very very $uspect at this place in time :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Thanks for the idea but unfortunately it is of no use, older generation Nvidia drivers are automatically uninstalled before the new driver is installed.

On the other hand, I noticed that Nvidia now offered “Studio Driver” drivers to developers, after having installed them MSF 2020 continues to crash…

Thank you for your advice, however I doubt this will work for me…

I presume you had overcklocked your CPU by increasing the bandwidth of the PCI-E bus, is that correct ?? For example by going from 2400 Mhz to 2600 Mhz for the CPU, RAM, graphics card, etc ??

If so, this is the worst overclocking you can do in terms of stability… I’m not surprised you had issues.

Indeed my system is basic overcklocked but using only the unlocked multiplier coeficiant of my CPU (i7-5960X Extreme Edition). It has been operating in a very stable manner for years, without ever having had any problems. I work with this system under Linux which requires much more stable systems than Windows and I have never had any problems.

Another point is that Asus, which is the manufacturer of my motherboard, is overclocking my base processor to 3.5 Ghz with the default bios, this to remedy the loss of computing power since the bios update to address critical security vulnerabilities Meltdown & Spectrum… So I cannot act on this point.

But thanks for the idea… As I am an NT system engineer by profession, I have already gone through the majority of the ideas that could allow me to play MFS 2020 without problems…

I’m afraid that only Microsoft, Asobo Studios, or Nvidia can really do something about my current problem ;-( We are at H + 48 hours that this problem exists for me and many other users and no fix is currently available ;-( And after at Microsoft, they are surprised that their customers are leaving them for Mac OS or Linux…

What saddens me the most is that in recent years, we have been sold hyper buggy software worthy of Beta versions, while we have bought software in final version (RTM). Unfortunately, Microsoft does not behave better than the others for this… Such processes are totally disrespectful to the end users that we are, so we can only suffer from big bugs and be totally unsatisfied with the way we are being treated ;- (

1 Like

and the issue started with it ?.. so we have a possible cause, or ?

Already tried to re-install the former nvidia driver ? ( @Phil995511 you too ? )

Own you also the RTX 3080 ?

My overclock was done by modifying the multiplier not the base bandwidth.

I had been having the overclocking also for years without issue with other games and even it worked fine with MSFS before the Sim update 3.

After this simupdate3, I always had crash (CTD) while loading the flight. I tried everything without any luck.

Then, I turned off my overclock and the sim is working fine… no more CTD. I know this sounds weird, but it works.