Repeated crash to the Windows desktop

I removed MSFS, all community mods, and reinstalled. Start time was very much improved. Instead of taking 10+ minutes delay and pacing around, the splash screen came up and it appeared to have been actually doing something. I was plonked on the ground without an issue.

I went and started a flight from KOKC to a strip about 68 miles away. As I approached the runway on final, the program did it's stereotypical crap where it halted the sound, suprted twice, and then crashed to the desktop. As usual, the error messages weren't helpful, but this time mentioned VCRUNTIME140.dll.

- System
  • Provider

[ Name] Application Error

• EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 100

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2021-03-17T17:38:00.6108783Z

EventRecordID 40475

Correlation

• Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer DESKTOP-USQTT9U

Security

Blockquote

• EventData
    FlightSimulator.exe
    6040b793
    VCRUNTIME140.dll
    5f4c66c9
    c0000005
    00000000000012de
    01d71b4e508643f8
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.29231.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\VCRUNTIME140.dll
    bca435f3-eaaa-404c-8b55-ad6d93133453
    Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    App

Blockquote
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6040b793
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.28.29231.0, time stamp: 0x5f4c66c9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000012de
Faulting process id: 0x6870
Faulting application start time: 0x01d71b4e508643f8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.29231.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: bca435f3-eaaa-404c-8b55-ad6d93133453
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

It was the latest patch for MFS 2020 that made the game impossible to play, not the Nvidia driver. Please read the above articles before posting.

1 Like

If your overclock was done by modifying the multiplier not the base bandwidth and that your system was 100% stable before that, this raises some questions as to the obscure reason why MFS 2020 will reject overcklocated CPU’s !? Especially since we both have series of unlocked multiplier CPU’s that have been sold to us as certified valid for overckloking by Intel

After rereading your strange experience, and to be 100% sure, I finally just reset my motherboard bios settings to default, but the problem persists as I expected.

Overclocking is fine if stable. Problem is a lot of people do not actually carry out a long enough stress test to check this. I also see so many people say that “but all my other games work fine” but this does not mean your system is stable. Msfs 2020 pushes the hardware to the limit like no other game does so it cannot be compared.

I posted here for the attention of the MFS developers, hoping that they will release a patch soon, which I can’t wait to be able to replay it 

Thank you anyway for your submissions and your ideas.

Try CTD vaccine

Just to make sure. Are you using separate pcie cables from your psu to your 3080? Make sure you are not using one cable and piggy backing to the other.

short answer 
 what a wrong statement ! I can play and other players too , so you should think before you post ( as reaction to your ‘I should read
’ ).

Example: @OneEllishorse wrote me in a PN that swtiching back to former nvidia driver, fixed it’s issue, so it might be a issue with the latest nvidia driver (461.92 ) or an issue while installation of it.

PS.: posts where users overcloack here system and report then a bug I ignore in meanwhile. The issue in this cases is clear and reporting it is agains the forum rules.

I am now experiencing the CTD from the loading screen, the odd thing is it was working perfectly fine yesterday. I noticed that the frames drops to 10fps then back upto over a 100 then boom CTD. you shouldn’t have to reset your MOBO or reinstall windows ect
 for the Game to work this is definately a software issue that seems to happen a very odd moments. And yes my GPU was overclocked yesterday before today but i don’t see how that would cause an issue if it was working perfectly fine previously. Sounds to me that this game is becomming more and more a buggy and mess, they are more concerned with France texture packs than listening to us but it’s becoming quite frustrating seeing updates but no performance updates.

1 Like

You are nice but I know how to integrate a graphics card into a PC
 I did it right the way it should.

My dear sir you are not the center of the world
 if you can play MFS so much the better for you, but know that there are other people than you for whom it has become impossible.

If all you need to do is call us a liar, what are you doing here, I ask you !?! You are wasting your time, as much as I am wasting mine reading and responding to you.

It’s very surprising because today I relaunched the game and it works, I was able to make 3 landings without MFS crash. On the other hand, it froze at one point for +/- 1-2 seconds, I was a little worried it would crash again

As I fly with real time weather conditions, etc, I come to wonder if it is not asp a problem of communication between the remote servers and my game which caused problem yesterday ?? Because there have been no updates of any kind since yesterday.

I don’t think any overckloking factors could be involved (unless it was done wrong by the user). My processor is original overcklocked by my motherboard manufacturer and my graphics card is also original overcklocked by its manufacturer. If MSF did not handle this properly, it would be a serious problem for many users.

I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that I don’t have such problems again in the future :slight_smile:

Quite right. Despite having random CTDs here and there over the past several months, I never had a vcruntime140.dll crash and never in the main menu/lobby. All these consistent problems with that particular libray started to happen immediately after the latest patch on March 10th. And they persist even after a clean reinstallation of Windows and MSFS, using the latest updates and drivers but nothing else. People who come here simply to say “it must be you, because my MSFS is working” offer very little to the discussion.

Ive been having CTD since last update when I click a random button in the cockpit with my mouse.
Logged a support ticket and supplied logs as requested while they look into it, and will advise me when they find a fix.
Hopefully that means they are looking into the high number of issues like this

Captain Andy, my frustration with the CTD grows daily. Now, I am able to use my single-engine planes have a nice flight, land beautifully and then, with no control inputs from my Honeycomb Yoke or Throttle, skid off the runway and on to a painful death. Attempting an airliner and others it’s back to CTD. If this is really a Microsoft issue are they aware and correcting with another update or patch?

I really hope so, I just darent fly now as I never know which mouse click may kill it off.

I have flow the cessna 172 skyhawk and just now the diamond da62, but my preferred one the TBm 930 is a complete no go at the moment
This is the message I got back after sending the files they wanted

This ticket will remain “Open” until our team is finished reviewing the information and working on a fix. Please hang tight

Now the dreaded CTD DOES NOT EVEN LET ME LOAD UP MY TRUSTY CESSNAS. I think for now that I will hang up my flight gear and go play golf until I read that this issue has been resolved. I would like to know that if the game is re-installed do the purchases you’ve made as additions have to be re-installed too? Thanks

1 Like

Have a look here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/crash-to-desktop-without-error-message/130085/3004

You’re not alone

Getting exactly the same! Always when clicking a random button with mouse.

Only managed to actually finish a couple of flights in many, many attempts these past couple weeks (about 3 in 30+), because of this issue.