Replacing FBW sound with default

On a hot summer day, my PC coolers are also a beautiful sound source…

3 Likes

Same here. I am not an expert and if the sound is loud then I believe it will be loud in the real cockpit. I am happy with every update so please go on.

1 Like

I agree with the author of this topic, it could be nice if we could have a default sound version for use with this plane.
I don’t doubt about the good will and passion the sound guy of fbw did put in it, but sound job is something who need really precision. The most important thing when you do a sound is the source sound. If you don’t record all frequencies of the sound with good mic at start, then its already done. What you add later by equalizer, mixing etc… Will be just artificial frequencies, it wont add richness to the sound but mostly compressed and maximized frequencies who will be tiring for ears.

The default asobo sound is richful when you listen it, is not aggressive, not intrusive, is well mixed and feel wide, it feel natural to the ears (maybe not realistic but natural, and this is important for our ears and brain). Peoples are now usual to compressed sound, and in many things people will find a sound realistic when it is compressed, because use of videos, youtubes etc… but its not, a sound is realistic when it feel natural. I just made a 1h30 flight with the fbw plane, who is really great , but i really shutted down sound at minimum at end, i had impression to run a big 4x4 with all windows open (i was playing in cockpit) and i didn’t really had that wide realistic sound environment feeling i have with asobo a320. Its not a question of just loudness, its really the richness of the sound who are important. A rich sound won’t need to be loud for feel is here, but for get a rich sound, it start by a really good recording with good mics.

Its how i find this topic, because as a guy who work in sound as professional since 10 years, i really care of that details, and mostly when it hurt ears is really not good (as i was playing in vr, i had audio headset.). Again i don’t doub that you (the guy who do the sounds for fbw) are passionate and want do the best, but i think it would be nice to propose an alternative with default sound.

EDIT: Didn’t saw that there was the solution… But don’t work for all the buttons sound sadly.

Yes and you lose the altitude callouts as well which is kind of a bummer. I’m not flying the FBW anymore as I prefer flying the default which, while not having everything working in the mcdu, still flys amazingly well.

ALT callouts are still there in all FBW versions.

I was referring to the solution of this topic.

Alright, can you please explain to me what I should do to make it sound better? The asobo sound is more pleasant to listen to because it just has almost no high frequency sounds. It’s very dull. The real plane has a lot more high frequency winds and fans, and that’s why it sounds harsh.

Which sounds specifically are you saying are bad? There are many things I can do to try to improve them, and I still am. I would like to get as specific as possible - rather than just “engine sound” tell me like “the takeoff whine” or anything along those lines.

Generally I feel like you haven’t really been on a 320 aircraft before, and I’ve got people that are audiophiles who have, and they say that the sounds are accurate to what they are like in the real aircraft. That’s mostly referring to the “4x4” comment you made.

1 Like

Hello,

First i hope you didn’t take my comment badly, off course by just text it can be taken like rude but it isn’t.

The first thing is the recording. You need to recording with a good mic, one or two or more, who can record all, even subtle frequencies, in. This is the most important part, because then you will have a good, clear and not compressed sound to work with.

Working with sound from vidéos or phone isn’t good because, the mic used for the record wont have all frequencies, and mostly it will be directly compressed (off course a phone or cam mic can’t take all the db the plane is sending, it will limit itself directly).
Compressed sound is the worst thing because it tires the ear without really know you get it tired. I don’t know how to explain, but it will have a good “in your face” effect at first, but even if you reduce or add frequencies, first the sound will be less natural, but mostly you wont can make this compression to go. It will be always here if the source sound is. And that really tires the ears so it can be dangerous if someone play with headset and don’t really understand that the sound is tiring his ears. Even at a low volume, a compressed sound is tiring for ears on long time.

When you get good sound, well recorded, then you have to mix it with all other sounds you want to use. When mixing, the goal in this case is to make the sound near reality, but also to make it pleasant for ears in game. Its something who are made by feeling from the sound engineer, hard to explain, its like making a good meal and judging which spice you can put or no, and at which level… You must “take care” of ears even if it mean you must go bit aside the reality.
Also don’t make all sound stereo (except if the game accept stereo sound to be 3d localized but i doubt) and then make some sound in mono if it need to be localized in specific place in cockpit.

The principal difference you will feel between a good mix with good recordings and a mix made with bad records, it will be that with good records, you wont have to make it loud for feel it wide and “warm” around you, and really take you to another level without much effort. With compressed sound, as it is not as rich as good records, you will always feel you have to put that or this volume up.

Its really like cooking, but like cooking then, for have a good meal at end, you must have good products at start, if you don’t have a good record at first, took with good mics, without compression or saturation etc…Then you wont have a good quality sound at end neither.

I think i have been on an a320 but long time ago, i didn’t knew planes at this time. But i have been mostly in 737 (and never in cockpit anyway haha). I don’t doub you want to make it as much near what you find realistic. But from what i can see on pilot feedback in cockpit, they say that is mostly quiet, where you can take your headset off, its not the feeling we have with the fbw sound !

I hope you the best and good luck !

What i can advice to you its to try to get real sample, well recorded by pro with good mics of an a320 plane, inside, outside, instruments etc…, and then make your recipe from there, but not as easy to get i agree.

Cheers.

Thanks, I have gotten recordings from good mics for pretty much everything in the plane. Nothing is compressed other than a few engine sounds. Volume wise for cockpit it is realistic as confirmed by many 320neo specific pilots which fly the plane with this specific engine option that we simulate.

As for mono for 3d positioning, I use a stereo sample and have a specific percentage of speaker panning vs 3d position. So basically I have position, but it ends up sounding pleasant and still stereo.

I would again just need to ask, what specific things sound wrong/unpleasant to you? I can take a look at those specific samples and see how I can fix them.

1 Like

I would say it must be mostly the wind (?) and engine noise that for me really make it “tiring”. There is this global feeling of everything in your face but should be more “far” or softer in the spectre in someway … It must be those sounds with mixing that maybe make it like that. It can be too much medium and not enough high and low… There is many things who can cause it.

You should listen with details how asobo sound are made in mix etc… For take inspiration from it but with your personal touch and sounds. But the mix of asobo is nice for ears.

Again i don’t say its a bad work, i know you really care about sound from what i saw on the net.

Thanks! The wind is synthesized from many different frequencies that I have worked with a few audio experts who made sure it would be pleasant to listen to. Wind irl overtakes every single sound in the plane, and the engines fade out only leaving a slight hum. With this, I have gotten a lot of pilots who specifically said that the wind is really good. I won’t really be changing the wind as it now has the perfect balance of comfortable and realistic. It’s only tiring because of the higher frequencies, but removing them would remove the classic a320 cockpit wind feeling.

For the engine sound that should have a “farther” sound I’m thinking of a few ideas, like maybe having a spread/focus curve depending on distance, but it’s not really that much of a problem. On default efb volume slider settings, the engine volume itself compared to other cockpit sounds is realistic, as confirmed by multiple 320neo pilots.

1 Like

For the wind i think its the source sound itself who really feel compressed around head. For me its more the medium frequencies who are problematic, the sound should be more wide, more clear in someway for have it and feel it everywhere but not in a loud and intrusive manner. What i would in that case would be to work different sound of wind from same kind, and give them a specific spectral place in the mix. So you can have clear high but without them be loud or much tiring, rich medium as you want etc… and not forget low (real low from recordings, not artificial), as its important for the realistic feeling.

For the engine, im not used to work on that type of sound, so i can’t really say how it should be from a mix perspective, but anyway you’ll see as its your work.

Good luck for next things !

Cheers

Best I can really do is make the highs a bit quieter and boost some mids. Every frequency in the wind sound is wide and if I change it up too much, it won’t be the distinct a320 wind sound.

1 Like

I don’t think the high is problematic, for me it was really the medium who feel too much present, and “compressed”. I think with mixing you can make them present without need of loudness and trying to keep the distinct a320 sound.

My man, I know you probably don’t mind the criticism especially when it’s constructive… that said,

Without a doubt you have put together one of the best soundscapes I’ve ever heard for an a320… And that includes payware.

UNfricking believable job dude! Keep it up

4 Likes

Boris, t don´t want to hijack, but perhaps you know a solution for my special (homecockpit user) sound problem…

Greets,
Markus

Hello,
the same for me!
I have a view of about 1 meter in front of the windscreen of the vr-cockpit in my home cockpit.
So I can`t hear any cockpit sounds (flaps, etc. …). But I love this cockpit-sounds so much!
How can I change this?

Many thanks for the help!

Greets from LOWG,
Klaus

1 Like