Request LTFM Istanbul New Airport

Hello and welcome! LTFM is a relatively new airport. I don’t believe it appears on the map imagery as it’s slightly outdated. This is the same case with other airports. You can create a ticket on Zendesk for the missing airport and it should be looked into. Hopefully this can be added as soon as possible, I would really like to see it as well!

4 Likes

Thanks for your feedback!

2 Likes

LFTM dates from 2018 and the update of 08/27 must update the Bing map among other things.
Hope the missing airports are available
The one we have dates from 2015/2016 if I’m not mistaken …

3 Likes

I find it somehow strange even knowing that LTFM airport is relativeley recent. For example the third runway in Moscow/Sheremetyevo airport (UUEE) already appears in the SIM and it is more recent than New Istanbul Airport itself.

1 Like

You just have to take a look at the aerial photos of Bing Maps: The roads on the airport are already updated, but the photos still show an empty field, hence the airport is not shown in Fligh Simulator as it can only work with photographic data.
I really wish Microsoft would have formed a partnership with google, as google maps has so much more accurate and up to date photographic map data for many places of the world…

1 Like

That wouldn’t make very good business sense, as MS owns Bing and it would have been pretty costly and embarrassing to buy in data from Google Maps, when they own a competing product.

Bing maps is getting updated and will continue to be improved.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand their reasons of course. Doesn’t change the fact that lots of stuff is missing from FS because Bing Maps is so out of date :wink:

There’s also quite a few large airports that have been intentionally pixelated for some reason in Bing Maps and thus appear as empty fields in FS, even though they’re fully visible in high quality in google maps. Of course it would be embarrassing to buy google’s data, but in my opinion it’s just as embarrassing to have simmers/players find out about the shortcomings of Microsofts map data through the exclusion of some major airports in their Flight Simulator…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to buy the new FS as soon as I have enough money for it; I will still enjoy it without these airports and I do realize that fixing problems like this one is understandibly not a very high priority while many people still have issues starting or even downloading it. I’m patient and I’m happy to look forward to the first few world updates.

1 Like

Maybe by way of comfort, I watched the latest interview with Jorg Neumann and he mentioned the interest from the people who make the multi-million dollar, level D, flight simulators, particularly due to the visuals being far better than what they have already. If MS have aspirations in this direction, that is probably going to give Bing Maps another nudge towards more up-to-date imagery.

1 Like

Istambul Airport is the biggest airport in Europe. Right?

1 Like

Possibly even in the World

1 Like

It’s a new airport. It’s not represented in the sim world, yet. Continue to use Ataturk for now.

1 Like

I guess what you mean by “biggest”? Do you mean physical size, or highest passenger numbers, highest cargo tonnage, or highest number of aircraft movements.

I think by passenger numbers, it’s Heathrow. I could be wrong though.

2 Likes

its missing because Asobo decided to use outdated aerial imagery and algorithms to create all but 80 of the airports instead of more current published data… its a fundamental flaw in their method. it remains to be seen if people just end up accepting it

2 Likes

Exactly ! …

2 Likes

I understand the reasons why LTFM does not appear in the sim. However this will lead to the fact that some major airports are missing. LTFM must be, if you take into account the total area, the biggest airport in Europe, perhaps only comparable to Schipol (EHAM).
With this approach we’ll easily come to the conclusion that FS2020 has far less airports than its predecessor, FSX.

2 Likes

since it exists in the bing map, they were able to adjust the airport with the new runway, where as new İstanbul airport is non existent in the bing map to develop it yet

1 Like

Flight Simulator X = 24,000 airports
Flight Simulator 2020 = 37.000 airports

1 Like

No wonder. My question answered. I hope Asobo fix this soon. Why there’s so many flaw in this sims and the fix is so very slow!

1 Like

I was wondering if there’s been any update for this topic ? It’s gonna be almost one year that the games was released.

2 Likes

I am wondering as well!
On the bing map, we can see the airport…

1 Like