Request: Stop using GAMERTAGs for Multiplayer Nameplates

We shouldn’t have to change our gamertag’s.

The Nameplates in MP should allow you to specify your gamertag OR the pilot name specified in MSFS Options.

I’m not changing my GamerTag just so that the few MP groups I fly with in MSFS see the same avatar name from Discord/Forums etc as in-game.

This is too limiting.

Thank you.

Agree, or at the least hide the #number

I’m not sure how this would be able to be done, easily.

Since MSFS uses Xbox Network and that uses Xbox Gamertags for player identification, and MSFS is “cross-play”, they’d have to come up with some MSFS-specific Gamertag system that overrides the entire Xbox Network methodology.

I’m just not seeing this becoming a reality.

2 Likes

As a workaround, you could rename your aircraft’s identification. I’m SmotheryVase, so use SMO-V to identify my aircraft in Multiplayer:

You can come up with your own naming convention to suit your personal preferences. Then you could turn the gamertags off completely. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What I [dislike], is my name here.

Was told when making it that there would be a # sign before 1934 if a system didn’t support the “new gamer tags”

So I was shown TG626#1934, and it was shown with the #1934 a light grey color, so it appeared subdued.

So I put in TG626 and it was a [untrue] , so now I’m stuck with this dumb(er) name unless I pony up $9.99!?

No [pejorative for Microsoft], just no.

1 Like

I’ve always seen people’s tail numbers blanked out when in multiplayer. I assume this it to maintain the E for everyone rating since you could put “adult” words there if you wanted to.

Are you able to see other people’s tail numbers in multiplayer?

I’ve never asked anyone else to do this, so actually I don’t know - you probably are correct - the “adult” issue had not occurred to me. I’ve not been in any MP sessions since I joined the beta due to the “same-build #” limitation.

In a game where I just read you can’t use the word “Virgin” as an airline callsign? I don’t buy it.

Seems “bad” words get filtered already.

1 Like

Buy it:

Is it too much to change your server profile name for that discord server to your flight sim name?

I mean, I’m not opposed to have a username for login/account management and a separate screen name that shows to everyone else. But I also agree with what’s been said, in the interest of maintaining the E rating (and euro equivalent) they probably don’t have that to keep little billy from seeing inappropriate words. Cause someone gonna make their reg or screen name admiral Richard P Buttowski or D*ck Butt for short :roll_eyes:

My Xbox gamertag is my real name.

I don’t want to be forced by MS/Asobo to share my real name with randoms that I fly with in a MP MSFS session.

There is NO technical reason why the thing that is displayed HAS to be the gamertag. It could just as easily be the name you give in MSFS. If someone wants to connect with you, at that point it relies on the gamertag to do the network connection, but shoving the gamertag and ignoring the settings you’ve specified in MSFS is wrong.

You can change your gamer tag, and using your real name for any online platform without a specific need to do so is just a bad idea. If you don’t want your real name out there, that’s mostly on you to not use it for gamer tags, screen names, etc.

2 Likes

I’m not understanding why you would have used your real name for a gamertag if you’re concerned about your identity remaining private.

How is that MSFS’ issue?

3 Likes

Lot’s of assumptions you’re making there.

I don’t have a problem with my GamerTag having my real name.

But in online spaces where I don’t use my real name then I always use my callsign.

However, due to Asobo or MS’s poor decision on this topic, it’s revealing information I don’t choose to reveal AND I HAVE HAD MY CHOICE TAKEN AWAY.

Using my name as my ‘gamertag’ is not the problem.

Having MSFS force that to be used instead of the callsign or ‘name’ given in the MSFS settings, is.

Lots?

I wrote two sentences, and half of the first one is simply mirroring back what you said you are using for a gamertag.

I’m still confused why you’d use your real name, if that is your concern, (is this another “assumption”?) and I still don’t understand why MSFS should be responsible for hiding that.

Do you have an Xbox or is your Xbox gamertag only something you created because of MSFS?

1 Like

What do you mean with name in Msfs options? The airplane registration?

Your gamer tag basically is your callsign for the Xbox Live network and MS games. So again, this is on you to use a name you want to be seen as online. That’s how the service is meant to work. Unless you’re saying you’re ok with your real name being shown to others in other games, and it’s only in the sim you want someone different?

1 Like

You aren’t. You are forced to use your Xbox gamer tag, which is your real name for some reason. That’s not the choice most would make, but you’re free to do so.

If you don’t want your real name to be visible, change your gamer tag.