Request to postpone the official release of SU10

I must say i am in a two - sides line of thougts. On the first one there is hope that the SU10 would kill and once for ever all these issues (FOS drops, stutters, CTDs, etc) wich affected the game’s performances during the last months, but on the second one, i fear another… “SU9 case”. Hope very much and with all my strength of thougts that the first side will be the winner of this “challenge”…
The 1.27.13.0 has improved the performances (could you believe that i completed four flights from Catania to London, from London to New York, from Catania to New York, from Milan to London, without a single CTD preventing me from reaching the destination airports, plus no stutters - FOS drops along all the trip (departure included) just some stutter (or lag, should i say?) at the final airport show themselves after landing, but no CTDs. Asobo - Microsoft duo did a miracle, hope that SU10 will be the cleansing and the new life of the sim.

I agree with you that it must be difficult for Asobo to assess the beta with conflicting reports of performance however, there are direct and repeatable A-B comparisons using a high end PC (RTX 3090 + i712700K @ 5.0Ghz) in the thread I’ve linked to below which shows for certain that performance is degraded. This is not based on unreliable human memory or guess work but screen shot based facts. If that is not enough for Asobo to see that there is an issue I’m not sure what is. I can run SU 9 and SU 10 via a dual boot system so know that my screen shots provide valid comparisons.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/1-27-14-0-beta-update-4-no-change-significantly-higher-mainthread-completion-time-70-in-new-comparison/531993/45?u=aboezd

Edit: In the interests of fairness I’ve come back to edit my post a couple of hours later. I’ve switched back to DX12 (which had become so poor over the beta updates that I’d stopped using it) and found a definite improvement in both smoothness and mainthread use in 1.27.14 - back to the original beta levels.

4 Likes

I totally agree. They need to work on DX12 so it can be as good as it was in the first build of this beta without the graphic corruption problem. “Disabled DX12 memory manager optimization on NVIDIA GPUs due to graphical corruption issues” is not the solution. We’ve been waiting for so long for this sim update, please Asobo, don’t make us wait until sim update 15 to have an improvement in performance !

12 Likes

which points did you mean ? Is it only the performance, as seemingly all other users mentioned here ?

PS: because your video a funny question: how many performance counters a user need and did you notice the difference in GPU load of both ? :joy:

XBOX X

I have no problem with more investigations delaying the release of the excellent ( for Xbox) BETA 4, but being an Xbox user I most definitely do NOT want the BETA 1 to be the final build as some are suggesting as most Xbox users would be right back to square one with terrible performance.

Just how Asobo is going to be able to please both camps will be intriguing,or impossible maybe.

3 Likes

I never saw the memory out tree structures . Beta1 was superb for me on DX12
I don’t know why it worked so well for me, but finding out would have been a better approach than turning off the optimisation.

1 Like

BUMP! clearly agree. The first beta was superior at my end. 10900k 3090, 32GB and Varjo windows 11 fresh install 3 weeks ago.

With every single beta following on the first one, more stutters, less fps (not that important ) but the decreasing smoothness is a no go for me.

My DX12 is a stuttery mess.
My DX11 is a stuttery mess at ground level.
DX11 is worse then SU9!

This is nothing I wanna use ATM .

Marcus

7 Likes

I think its understandable that DX12 will need a lot of time to mature. And I am fine with that. Users for whom it runs good, they can enable it. But DX11 performance regression is not acceptable if this build is the final SU10 build. Since DX11 is still the recommended (i.e non beta) rendering API in MSFS, they should make sure there is no regression there. On my 5800x/rtx 3080 setup, even with TLOD 100 and high settings, I get severe stutters during landing at a 3rd Party scenery in a thrid party plane. And if someone says that I should stick to default content, I would like to remind them that third party content is what makes this sim what it is. So no, using default is not an option.

2 Likes

With Jayne and others from the team announcing their participation at GamesCon the days after drop of SU10 I am 100% sure it will not be postponed.
They will not stand there with no new update to show.

Sadface

1 Like

That is why, its a good idea to have some separation between the PC and XBox builds. Being a enterprise software dev, I can tell that if they have a good branch management strategy, modular codebase and good end to end automated system tests for regression, this is achievable. But having those systems in the first place is not an easy task. Now we have to wait and see what is Microsoft’s priority here. It’s clear and I concur that XBox should be a priority and I am all for more inclusivity in flight sim community. But that should not come at the cost of PC user’s experience. After all this title started as an PC title, not just MSFS 2020, the entire franchise. And given the results of the performance survey since the last two builds, it seems more PC users have voted and in both cases, the majority votes were in either Strongly disagree or disagree.

6 Likes

I can’t see anything in your reply that was relevant to my comment.
I stopped using DX11 a long time ago and I made no mention of DX11.
Nobody is saying you should use third party content in the SIM. You are being asked to test the beta without third party content. That’s not the same.

Your right. I was replying in agreement but got side tracked and forgot to change to a general post. My bad. Deleting and reposting now.

How do you know the release will be anything like our current version of “test software” there’s nothing to say what were testing is the same as the final release?

1 Like

Let’s face it everyone, they got our money up front. We are going to have to take whatever they dish out. Aside from the upcoming X-Plane release, where else are we going to go. I will be giving it a look. Have never used a copy of X-Plane but I’m getting tired of silence from Asobo and the never ending wait for what I paid for over 2 years ago.

We are forever stuck with MSDS (Microsoft Development Simulator) 2020 and unless you tell them you are on or are going to get an XBox, they really could care less about what we have to say or letting us know any details of where they are at.

I (sarcastically) say release it as is, heck make it even worse for PC users would you please. It will be the only consistent thing about this sim.

4 Likes

I agree with you. It is now apparent that optimizations for PC and xbox require two separate branches. We pc users are being held back, the performance is there, we saw it in SU10 beta 1. But I doubt we will get it in official su10 release. Very sad

6 Likes

Couple of points

1 You’re right, we don’t and the kind’a ties into what I am saying. No info from Asobo.
2 My post was not about any particular release of any particular update. It concerns the never ending tail chase this sim has become.

4 Likes

First of all the history of previous betas. There has never been any changes from the last beta build to the public release. I do not expect anything to change this time.

Agreed. At least for the PC this update isn’t shaping up to be anything worthwhile, unless the devs still have some really good trick up their sleeves.

If it’s possible making the update available for XBox only might be an idea, since it seems it solves many problems on the consoles.

4 Likes

I agree with both of you.

Fix it for XBox = Break it for PC >>>>>> Fix it for PC = Break if for XBox.

Rinse and repeat.

4 Likes

Or fix it so it runs on Linux.

Oh wait…

1 Like