' Reserved Space ' on Xbox Series X does not decrease in size after increase and then delete of rolling cache

I wrote up this thread with what I found with Rolling Cache, Reserved Space and it’s correlations.

Originally, I thought Rolling Cache filled up Reserved Space, but apparently not…so far, at least after having done a full reinstall of just my add-ons.

It impacts everyone, buddy. On Xbox that is.

Once you set rolling cache, your reserved space is gone. You never get it back. ONLY way to get it back is to delete the game entirely, reinstall ans then do all the WUs again. Not going through that ordeal a third time.

Time for Asobo or Misobo to fix this

Nope - the more you increase your rolling cache size the more reserved space gets set aside. It will never be released after you delete rolling cache or even set a smaller size.

Only way to free up space is to delete the game and reinstall everything.

I think we are saying the same thing here. No clue how we got mixed up! :joy:

Well, as I wrote, my Reserved Space hasn’t changed since the reinstall, and I’ve made another 6-7gb in purchases, and increased my RC and it’s not changed…yet. So I have no clue.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

I’m on Xbox

Brief description of the issue:

After deleting rolling cache, space is not freed up. The game continues to occupy the same space as it did when the rolling cache size was set.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Attached.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Cleared rolling cache, restarted the sim and the console. Game is still taking up the same space as it did when rolling cache was on.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Series X

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Latest beta build. Same has been happening in the regular version of Xbox since day one.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Can’t upload. Screens are too large

Here are the rest of the screens as I couldn’t upload them all in the big report.

As you can see, my game shouldn’t be occupying more than 200 GB or so but it’s 300+ GB right now because it’s not freeing up space after I deleted the 64 GB rolling cache file!

Asobo, please resolve this, it’s high time!

8 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

“reserved Space” is not released when either an addon is deleted or rolling cache is made smaller. The sim should release space it doesn’t need because the only curent ‘solution’ is to delete the reserved space and then re download all desired addons (while keeping inside SDD space restrictions (XBoxS))

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

This isn’t Asobos fault. It’s an issue of the XB OS and I htink it is as designed by the XB System developers. Other games have the same issue. The reserved space gets never reduced by deleting ingame content as Mods or or other user generated content inside the game. This is something MS must fix on OS-Level and I highly doubt that will ever happen.

The only way to get the space back, is to delete the reserved space manually in the XB dashboard from time to time. Bad thing about this is, that you must redownload any ingame FS-Store DLC after doing this.

1 Like

Guys, please like, vote and reply as we need to put this right on top of Asobo’s list of to-dos. It really needs to be a part of the next update. Been too long. We need our SSD space back!

2 Likes

Can confirm having the same issue on Series S too. Removed about 40gb of world updates and no reserved space has been freed. Running out of storage space quite quickly.

1 Like

Why is Asobo/Microsoft so hush hush about this?
Is it ever getting resolved?

2 Likes

bumping this because I just did the same thing hoping to free up space for Forza next week and removing my less used World Updates from the content manager didn’t decrease reserved space at all. Content manger shows 28GB and reserved space shows 98GB. I’m guessing I need to clear the reserved space and redownload the WU’s I want to keep. Can’t believe this is such a long ongoing problem that’s never been fixed