Resizeable bar support? Nvidia also has it as of today

Now that AMD & Nvidia users both have access to this tech, will we get official support for it?
And possibly see it in the support games listed on nvidia website?

1 Like

I wasn’t sure what this was:

Some pre-requisites:

3xxx series only, with update VBIOS
Driver version 465.89 WHQL or later
Motherboard BIOS also has to support it
Intel 10th/11th gen. chips only

Many more are listed on that site. I wonder if its all its cracked up to be.

I couldn’t see anything that actually explains what “BAR” is, other than it can now be resized. :slight_smile:

Aha! “Base Address Register”, or “Smart Access Memory” (SAM) in AMD land. Apparently its been around since 2010…

aye, i have a 10th gen intel setup and a 30 series card.
Would love to see support for this.
there seem to be quite many 6000 series AMD users also.

Flashed my strix 3090 and maximus xii extreme this morning and have it enabled. Doing a flight from KLAX to KPHX right now and all is good.

1 Like

Did you notice much of a difference? Nvidia seemed to be claiming roughly 10% which is not insignificant.

FS2020 is not a supported game, as per the Nvidia site.

2 Likes

You let the cat out of the bag! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah the game isn’t supported “yet” but i was more concerned about performance tanking and or CTD since we’ve been plagued with these kinds of problems.

1 Like

It’s a valuable data point, for sure. A report showing no degradation is just as useful as one showing improvement. I suspect we are just at the point of development where the small percentages we are trying to eek out by various means are entirely swallowed up by inefficiencies in the code.

Not entirely related, but on an AMD GPU enabling SAM gave me 28-30 frames over KJFK vs 25-28 disabled, so up to 10% increase seems like a fair statement.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone is wondering, the latest driver supports resizable BAR but doesn’t flash the VBIOS. You need to do it by downloading the tool here:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165

I’m confused about this part.

The first is a universal firmware updater for all Nvidia cards.

But they also at the bottom of the page have links for updaters for the individual brands.

Which should you use?

Any problems after completing your flight with resize bar ?

I’m not sure what you mean about universal updated tool. The process should be:

Install latest driver first.
Enable resizable BAR in bios settings.
Install the firmware update using either

Founders edition:
https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/rebar/1.0/NVIDIA_ResizableBAR_Firmware_Updater_1.3-x64.exe&barfirmware=1&lang=us&type=Other

Or one or the partner links if you have a non-founders edition.

Oh okay just understood the page.

So the first tool is for founders edition only.

Each brand will have their own.

Unfortunate for me that PNY doesn’t have the tool yet for their uprising cards. It says coming soon in their site.:frowning:

So no chance for this if you have anytihing older than an RTX card?

Apparently not.

I updated the BIOS in my Palit 3080 and got a nice bump in FPS in Cyberpunk and AC Valhalla which are two of the supported games.

I tried MSFS to see if there were any negative effects on the FPS and didn’t see any. It ran the same as yesterday.

yup i saw a nice boost in valhalla and cyberpunk as well.
but indeed MSFS zero changes.

Hey @Asobo – can someone comment on Resizeable BAR from NVIDIA please? Will the game be supported? @Jummivana