Restarts after CTD

I am for the most time enjoying MSFS. However what I find strange is that almost every time after a successfull session without problems, when I start MSFS again I get CTD or just freeze before getting to the “Ready to Fly” screen. After one or two restarts it gets back to normal and I can fly again without problems.

This makes me wonder if somethings goes wrong when MSFS is closed, which then by somekind of miracle is corrected after a few restarts?

Since it actually works without problems after the restarts it should not have anything to do with the addons in the community folder, or could it? This happens regardless of which airport or aircraft I chose.

Best regards Jan

1 Like

Are you closing it from the main menu by returning to the desktop or are you closing by using the x at the top of the window? Make sure you close from the main menu by returning to the welcome screen and then to the desktop.

Thanx for reply. I always return to Main menu and then press Quit to desktop. I am in full screen mode, so no X to press on.

Topic moved into Community Support for community assistance.

1 Like

Have you looked in the Windows Even Viewer to see what is triggering the CTD? That might give you a clue.

Thanx! As far as I can tell it has been random files which seem to belong to the MSFS core program, but I will start watching it more systematically.

If this is a Steam install, try deselecting the Steam Cloud sync checkbox. This has been known to cause this issue.

Thank you, but I have a Windows Store installation.

realy ?.. I never had issues with the steam cloud save… threre is also a local cache of that and so it should have no impact while start of msfs :slight_smile:

@JoenssonSwe can you share the message from windows event log ?
And give some additonal informations about your system ( hardware, free disc space , etc ) ?

The add-ons can of course cause that and thats a thing you can itselff easily check.

And, have Google-Maps-Replacement installed ?

Before the beta, I would get a CTD the first time I launched the sim every day. The second launch went fine. Once I joined the beta with my steam install, the box re-checked itself. The issue has not returned.

2 Likes

that sounds good… so beta fixed these issue , if I understood correct … would be interesting what the cause was (what they fixed) :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I thought deselecting the cloud sync box fixed it, but SU10 came out and I switched over to my Store copy for testing. Then one day the Steam copy would not start at all, and the fix was to enrol in the beta.

It would be interesting to know what Steam is saving to the cloud. The sim stores your settings to the cloud as well. I had Vsync turned on in the Store copy, and off in the Steam copy. When I enrolled in the beta, vsync turned itself on during the update, and back off after the update.

Thanx! I will see what information I can get back with :slight_smile:

note: here ( may in on other topics too ) I summarized how you can check whats in steam cloud and also the local files:

1 Like

I had a look at a couple of those files. Easy to see how a CTD could make those files out of sync.

its normaly not possible that these files are un-sync. Steam detect that and ask you which version you want to use " local or remote ". The game itself only write within the local files, syncing itself is Steam. Whats possible, and happend for some users, that a specifc setting cause issues and because it is remote stored, its not so easy to start the game without these setting ( in Steam its easier than in ms-store , and as you mentioned you can disable the steam cloud :slight_smile: ). Another example of such a setting is the “data limit” , which affects ( not sure whether this is still the case ) also the update-downloader. The other stufff is the logbock and of course your “device” settings.

In any case, the Steam cloud option keeps re-selecting itself. It does not stay un-checked. This is what we call in the software business “non-robust”, an area for potential breakage. Anyway, we have moved this thread off the OP’s issue enough. I hope they find a solution to their issue.

Hi there,

I’ve been plagued by the same annoying issue for some days, randomly appearing when hitting “Fly”, loading any AC, at any airport. Blue bar loading til x%, then a little freeze in the audio and almost immediate CTD (didn’t bother to check event viewer, clueless for me). Yesterday I realized there was a Microsoft Store update pending (app update) that I of course installed. I also signed-out/in again form MS Store and Xbox app just-in-case. Outcome: problem vanished. Tried at least 10x loadings from the “Fly” screen with 3 different AC (PMDGs, Fenix, Aerosoft) and no more hangs+CTD. Tried also to quit MSFS completely, restart and load flights again. No more issues.
Hope this helps the OP, enjoy your sim.

Thank you very much!!
I will try that this weekend and will report back!

1 Like