Reverb G2 VR setup guide

I hope this Reverb G2 setup guide helps some folks with dialing in the VR.

I believe you have a 3090 and an i9-10900? or do I have you confused with someone else?

80 TAA and 70 OXR. Those settings are kind of low for your rig. No wonder you get smooth performance. To be honest, I cannot play VR on anything less than 100 TAA and at minimum 80 OXR. I prefer a few stutters and lower frames over the aliasing mess of lower render scaling. But thatā€™s my own personal preference. Also using a G2.

I have a 3090 with i9-10900 and have just tried your settings. Have to say they are pretty good, giving me 38-41 fps with no obvious stutter, so happy with that. Previously I was using 100 TAA with 70 OXR and mostly Ultra settings, with mid 30ā€™s fps but some ā€˜side viewā€™ stutters. I will stick with your settings, for now anyway.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that while I was using latest 465.89 driver I went back to 457.30, which I think is still smoother, with less stutters, and is what Iā€™m now using with your settings.

Awesome! I am on that driver too!

I have a 3080 and 10900K - I prefer smoothness and clarity but get that it can be pushed more.

I have I9 9900K@5ghz and a RTX 3090. I run my G2 at OXR 90% and TAA 70% in game. And in game some medium, some high settings. I think my performance killer is ambient occlusion which I have at medium and I use high clouds too. But, I can not live without ambient occlusion. I does so much for trees and flying over forests and fields and such. :slight_smile:

Have you tried running the sim without the OXR in the background? I have an i7 10700 with 32GB and RTX3070 and G2. I was just not able to get a descent VR performance out of the sim until I decided to remove the OXR from my computer, and now it runs super smooth and steady.
Please know that I know very little about computers but a fair amount on flying. :wink:

I think MFS2020 need OpenXR to runā€¦ So your situation is quite strange.

Hi, nice post.

I have a question, did you put the frequency at 90 or 60 with WMR?

Thanks

90hz. And itā€™s been great fun flying without the OXR tool. Perhaps give it a try, itā€™s easy to reinstall if it is of no joy.

1 Like

I am curious how you get away with in-game render scaling of 80%. Anything below 100% and the cockpit is just not readable for me any more, especially the glass cockpit text.

Iā€™ve also never understood what the difference between in-game render scaling and OXR developer tool custom render scaling is. If you could explain that to me, that would be awesome.

Like Bottebeitel, Iā€™ve gotten the best results with OXR developer tools uninstalled from my computerā€¦

1 Like

if itā€™s not install flight sim ask to install itā€¦ so thatā€™s not funny at all :slight_smile:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018555179-How-to-install-OpenXR-

Sorry for my messy replies. This article hinted me towards removing OXR from my computer. Off course this was done after the initial installation proces of fs2020

Hi Folks,

Iā€™m wondering if anyone else is having an issue with starting MSFS. I have my headset up and running, WMR going (I can see that environment through the headset), I have both OpenXR and the dev tools installed.

But when I attempt to launch MSFS, it crashes immediately. I donā€™t even get past the ā€œX-BOXā€ title screen.

It also doesnā€™t matter the order. If I get MSFS up and running first, and then connect my headset, MSFS crashes instantaneously. Even if I just have my headset connected to my PC, and no WMR running, MSFS crashes on launch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I believe in-game scaling controls the clarity of the cockpit while OXR scaling controls the clarity of the scenery. Set them equal at 70% and check for a generally good VR experience, then repeat at 80% each and 90% each until the VR experience drops, and go back to the last setting - which is the sweet spot for your hardware. If you like scenery over the cockpit, bump the OXR up 10% and the in-game scaling down 10% or do just the opposite if you prefer cockpit clarity over scenery.

1 Like

Update: It was the AMD USB connectivity issue. For some reason, connecting the G2 through a USB hub seems to solve the issue. Unfortunately, I get a timeout error about 20 minutes into any flight.

Does anyone know how to address this latter issue?

Running on AMD 6800XT, 570X MB, Ryzen 7 3700.

Have you checked to see if your motherboard has a bios update? My ASUS x570 motherboard has a bios beta update which has fixed the USB connectivity issues completely for me.

If not, other things that helped me in the past was setting PCIe settings in my bios to GEN 3 rather than Auto.

Thanks for replying!

I am on the latest beta bios for my (also) Asus X570 (3801).

I added the dword to the registry as others have mentioned and that seemed to work for the most part.

I was able to fly and land on a short hop down the east coast of England. The game still crashed while I was trying to park though.

Now Iā€™m running into the known issue where the trim gets messed up and somehow, autopilot came on to compound the issue.

Why does VR have to be so complicatedā€¦