Review: Gaya Simulations Corfu LGKR (FS2024 native)

Test machine specs: MSI X670E, AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX, 48gb RAM

Add-ons: BATC, GSX Pro, GFX, Global Shipping '24

When this airport was first previewed on Gaya’s social media, I was determined to resist buying it, because I didn’t feel it would offer value for money when FlyTampa’s (admittedly old) rendition still cuts it in 2026. However the aggressive release pricing — clearly aimed at diverting both old and new customers away from FlyTampa — sealed the deal for me. Bye-bye, FlyTampa; hello, Gaya…

DETAIL

Sometimes, the fewer words you have to use in a review, the better the conclusions are conveyed. There’s little point highlighting each individual area of this scenery because every inch of it is beautifully done, in every way. Modelling? Superb. Textures? Superb. Airside detail? Superb. Landside detail? Superb. Terminal interior? Superb. Neat little animations? Yup. Surrounding detail? Plenty (but with a caveat I’ll introduce shortly). The only real disappointment is the lack of any people models anywhere, but the abundance of gorgeous custom clutter has a somewhat mitigating effect.

Okay, let’s discuss the caveat: FlyTampa, whose Corfu scenery is inevitably going to draw direct comparisons. Gaya had a golden opportunity to put the FT version permanently out of the picture, but they failed. Not because of what they put in their scenery; but because of what they didn’t. The famous Kanoni area, overlooking the RWY34 threshold, is home to numerous bars, restaurants, hotels and apartments — and while Gaya’s modelling/texturing in this area is undoubtedly superior, FT included more. The famous Anna’s Apartments, popular with plane spotters? Missing. The Ariti Grand and Royal Grand hotels? Missing. Also missing is the old An-2 near the RWY16 threshold, although it could have been moved since I personally visited the airport two years ago. FT also include some basic POI’s in Corfu town, plus animated inter-island ferries (that amusingly break all speed records as far as ships are concerned!). It’s not all one-sided away from the airport, though, with Gaya having lovingly custom-modelled a handful of static vessels at the nearby port.

Gaya further redeem themselves by including details that FlyTampa chose not to, such as the Nisos Taverna, across the causeway. But again, FT aren’t outdone in this area, because they included animated people out on the causeway, who get quite excited when your aircraft passes overhead on short finals to RWY34. In fact, FT’s contains infinitely more people, in every nook and cranny (including swimmers at both the beach and the Corfu Holiday Palace’s pool). Sadly, neither scenery boasts the custom regional flora that’s so effective in, for example, Lisium’s recent Heraklion.

Where Gaya really pull ahead is with FS2024 exclusivity, meaning their version takes advantage off all the perks of the newer sim (immaterial if you’re still using FS2020, of course — in which case, you’re likely wasting your time reading this review). The night-lighting is stunning, and it’s an aspect of the scenery that FT just can’t compete with.

BATC compatibility seems spot-on, with both arrivals and departures behaving as one would expect. As for a perimeter fence, the airport does have one, but it’s not all-encompassing. I will, however, give Gaya the benefit of the doubt here as much of the airport is surrounded by water, so it’s perhaps unsurprising that fencing is absent in some areas.

Finally, I must mention the included custom water mask that covers the lagoon that surrounds the airport. It really gives an extra layer of depth, if you’ll pardon the pun. Sadly, water masks in FS2024 can pop in or distort suddenly when approaching them (this example is no exception), and due to how Asobo designed the sim’s water, they do sit a few metres above the default surface.

PERFORMANCE

I read on Gaya’s Discord that they omitted people models to bolster performance. Performance (at least for me) is brilliant, so I’m not sure about their subliminal claim that people could present a problem. I find it highly unlikely a few randomly placed humans would do much to impact performance.

VERDICT

Despite clearly being the better of the two Corfus, FlyTampa’s remains a thorn in Gaya’s side, simply because Gaya failed to stamp their authority over this project. In its own right, Gaya’s LGKR is a fantastic airport (with the exception of the lack of people), but FlyTampa’s does serve to illustrate its omissions.

Of course Gaya can revisit their version and make improvements — and I really hope they do. I might be biased as far as Anna’s Apartments are concerned, having stayed there myself, but they are a big part of the Corfu experience, despite the building housing them being only small. It is an unmistakable shade of pink, though!

So, what would make Gaya’s LGKR conclusively the better version, hands down? My first suggestion would be to add a few people models. No need to go overboard; just a few in prominent places would be fine. Secondly, enhance the Kanoni area, to include everything FT modelled. Thirdly, perhaps stick a few animated figures on the causeway, just as a little Easter egg for us pilots!

On a final note, I must again bring the price into the equation, because Gaya’s version is not only better overall, but also cheaper. It’s very hard to justify the above criticisms when you’re only paying £12-14 for what is absolutely a top-tier product. There’s so much included here that the few omissions are almost forgivable (and would be had the competition never existed).

If you fly regularly into Corfu, the ‘upgrade’ from FlyTampa’s ageing version is probably worth it, particularly since Corfu is the only FT scenery that appears to have become abandonware.

IMAGES

I honestly don’t think there’s a need for this review. There are plenty of images on the 'net, all of which illustrate just how beautiful this airport is.

8 Likes

I’m really impressed with the Gaya version. Of course, your points are all valid. But when I bought the Gaya version, I was well aware that it certainly couldn’t compete in terms of the number of modelled buildings around the airport and on Corfu as a whole. However, what has been modelled looks absolutely brilliant (like you said) and boasts a level of detail that I’ve only seen in a few other sceneries. I don’t think you can expect much more of the surrounding area to be modelled when the level of detail is this high. For example, there are vacuum cleaners belonging to the cleaning staff on the hotel balconies! And we shouldn’t forget that an estimated 80 per cent of all airports modelled for MSFS are created entirely without any surrounding infrastructure. In my opinion, the Gaya version is exemplary in this respect.

But you’re right, of course: the biggest problem with the Gaya version is the existence of the Flytampa airport, which features even more buildings in the surrounding area. And since you’re familiar with the real-life airport (unlike me), you’ll immediately notice the absence of buildings. In a way, your review this time is more of a comparison with Flytampa than a standard review. But ultimately, that’s of course what most people are likely to be interested in, because a great many users here surely own the Flytampa version too (just like me). However, I think this means that the Gaya version is judged somewhat more critically than it would be if there were no Flytampa version. For me, the Gaya Airport is, first and foremost, simply a stunning scenery – one of the best I’ve seen this year.

My only real criticism of the Gaya version is also the lack of people. Although they actually always look so artificial that they aren’t really that important to me in a scenery. But that is, of course, very subjective.

3 Likes

Gaya are adding some people in an upcoming update I was told.

1 Like

The way Gaya abandoned their 2020 airports means I can’t bring myself to ever purchase any of their products again, obviously if they revisit their older airports that might change.

Gaya ended up on my blacklist because they used static aircraft. Do they still use static aircraft or are all parking spots available?

Gaya will bring the 2020 airports to 2024 with native versions. That was stated on their discord. LOWW is on his way.

3 Likes

I don’t have any people showing in my FT Corfu??

No statics at LGKR

2 Likes

I like this Corfu a lot but has anyone noticed that AI planes disappear upon landing?

Of course, which is why I made a point of stating, “There’s so much included here that the few omissions are almost forgivable (and would be had the competition never existed)”. As a standalone product, it’s superb; but the comparison with FT’s is an inevitable prerequisite.

I’d rather they removed this sort of stuff and put in people, or more buildings. I can’t see a vacuum cleaner while approaching RWY34… but I can see people on the causeway, or the big hotels off to the right. Thankfully, there are a lot of custom vehicles scattered across the scenery. that help make it feel alive.

Overall, I’m very happy with what Gaya have done here. Just a little disappointed not to see some buildings that are an integral part of the 34 approach. And as I said, they have included stuff that FT didn’t.

3 Likes

Is anyone having any performance issues? I didn’t notice anything on my maiden flight using the RJ100, but mooching around the airfield in the JF Tomahawk, both straight after the flight and with a full PC reboot, I had stuttering. Checking the dev counter, the FPS was ok and all green but the mem allocation seemed to be the issue. (Full PC specs in profile).

I’m getting some stuttering on approach (RW16 in this instance)

None for me and I’m using a Pimax VR headset. This scenery should go to top of the list to buy for anyone using VR. Just positioned myself by the umbrellas on the beach and watched planes landing. The ambiance is very convincing in creating the illusion of being in Greece.

2 Likes

I can’t disagree with that.:grin: Nevertheless, I like details like that because, to me, they also demonstrate a developer’s passion and attention to detail. And I enjoy finding Easter eggs like that. Naturally, though, this shouldn’t mean that parts of the scenery are omitted elsewhere in order to improve performance.

Right. Perhaps it was just my perception, whilst reading your review this time, that some points sounded a little too critical to me. But please don’t take this as a criticism of your review. As always, I really enjoyed reading it. Especially as you know the airport personally and can give a much better assessment than I can.

I had no performance issues landing there in the Fenix, but the issue of disappearing AI is there.

I am having CTD when spawning here on XBox X not had that in a while. It could be a conflict with another add on. Anyone else having issues with this on X Box?

I’ve flown in a couple of times and noted all arrivals taxiing to stand normally. I’m using BATC. I have in the past, however, noticed that this issue often affects only certain aircraft types.

I had a good chat a few months back with a BATC dev and it’s clear that we’re frequently blaming a scenery when in fact it’s BATC at fault. Hard to know where the responsibility lies.

I purchased it as well, of course and it’s phenomenal. Now I’m having a dream of a joint venture of the airport from Gaya and the rest of the island from FlyTampa…

1 Like

Yes, my xbox x crashes just by zooming in to the airport, I have not many addons expect some more airports and airplanes, I never experience crashes otherwise.

Well they are 2 separate addons, aren’t they. If I remember correctly I always had to enable 2 addons in addin manager. Maybe you can run the island addon in conjunction with Gaya’s airport.

Yes, but the problem is that FlyTampa’s addon includes LGKR airport and that may be in clash with Gaya’s airport. I actually have only one FlyTampa Corfu addon in the Library manager. You might have confused that with FlyTampa’s Las Vegas where the airport and the city are two separate items.