[REVIEW] Great Britain Central by Orbx - Sightseeing Paradise 😎

They have a lot of screenshots (24) to give you a flavour. Been waiting for someone to do the Scottish lighthouses for ages. 600 POI’s. I may have to switch to VFR flying for this weekend! I bought GB central recently and after a short tour forgot about it as I’m doing airliner IFR recently with the 146 out.

I’ve been thinking of grabbing this. Looks like it’s pretty good. It kinda sucks to not see Ireland be a part of this. Is there any chance the Channel Islands and Isle of Wight will see some action I wonder. I am so wanting to do a grand Scotland Distillery tour.

@BragRaindrop933 fingers crossed for Eilean Mor for me specifically. The Island it sits on is in fact there, curiosity lead me there months ago haha.

1 Like

Just having a quick look. Took off out of Edinburgh & the whole area has been transformed. First impressions are that this is better than ORBX Central, everything seems to blend better with the surrounding landscape.

With 600 POIs though, you’ll never know half of them are there. I’d have thought a list of everything would be a fantastic idea!

3 Likes

The map of Scotland is about to get filled up with POIs. I use sky4sim which can display POIs in game so looking forward to it. Good to hear it looks good. Lighthouses are my main wish, I hope they did my local ones.

Nice surprise. Very good price too! Bought and bought. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this. Never heard of it before. Going to have a proper look at it over the weekend!

1 Like

I’m hoping StKilda got a makeover. Looks okish in default scenery, but really needs the ruins rather than actual houses!

1 Like

My go to package for nav beacons and runway and weather info in game. ILS data in there too. Invaluable add on IMO. Its like an enhanced VFR map. Only gripe is for some reason one or two beacons dont show up for some reason, such as EDN NDB.

Northern Ireland is included, 50-60 POI’s. The Flannan Isles Lighthouse is included too.

2 Likes

There is a KML file in the installation folder that you can open with Google Earth and see all of the POIs on a map.

1 Like

Another thing Xbox needs. I would love an in-sim resource that gave me approach plates, some basic charts, navs, comms etc. to use at moments notice when mid flight. This kinda thing would really sell and suit my style. I love planning of having no plan until a plan arises. Cross the bridge when we get to it if you will.

1 Like

I think the sim could do with an enhanced vfr map as default tbh. There is so much data that needs to be easily available for nav that just isn’t in the default game. Navigraph is great for charts, but for GA IFR I like having all the nav data to hand and like you say take off with no plan. Perhaps go follow a beacon and plan intercepting a radial and line up for a ILS landing, do it without GPS or often in clouds or at night or without raising my eyes above the instruments.
That’s where having the sky4sim app comes in for me, having all the nav data in game and readily available. No approach charts but map and beacons are there.
Learning IFR in a small GA aircraft like the JF Arrow or Warrior makes the task so much easier. There’s a lot to be gained from learning this type of navigation instead of just blindly following a GPS track on AP.

1 Like

Google XML file of POIs in GB North (aka Isle Of Man, Scotland & NI). I’ll be touring for a while by the looks of things :heart_eyes: -

3 Likes

Delighted to see they’ve done Cameron House Hotel on Loch Lomond! :grin:

It really is great value for money!

1 Like

Is it rebuilt yet after the fire? I haven’t been keeping track of things there. Absolutely value for money. I may have to park the 146 for a while it’s not a sightseeing aircraft! Off to look for lighthouses.

I think it’s 90-95% finished, maybe even completely done.

It was a gaping hole in the scenery around there for sure.

1 Like

Zoomed in POI’s GB North. For closer inspection.

4 Likes

Aberdeen POI

Dundee POI

Edinburgh POI

Glasgow POI

Inverness POI

2 Likes

Attention xbox users. If anyone has purchased this (Great Britain Central) I’m curious if you’re seeing the same thing I am. Some areas are fine but there are large areas with the Orbx addon installed that appear completely flat and no buildings are rendered. This is EGND airport and I don’t believe there are even any POIs near here but in the Orbx version no buildings are rendered.
I’m not having any connection issues. If I uninstall the addon everything is fine. Sigh…probably yet another addon that doesn’t work on xbox.
First photo is EGND with Orbx installed, 2nd is without it.

Is it only at airports or are towns suddenly vanishing? Have you encountered many of the POI and how is the performance? No weird morphing or anything like that? This doesn’t sound so good.