[REVIEW] Great Britain Central by Orbx - Sightseeing Paradise 😎

The POIs seem well done and have no effect on performance. While some areas are ok there are far too many areas where all autogen buildings (towns and airports) are completely gone so I uninstalled it for now. I’ve filed a ticket with Orbx so will see what they say but I would honestly avoid it on xbox.

1 Like

Please update on the outcome when you can. I’m thinking of filing a ticket for the Sydney Cityscape. It works great for me so far even with the Night Enhancement but it has a double Harbour Bridge that I see also plagued PC users, it doesn’t look like they’ve rectified it. It’s literally the only gripe. You wouldn’t notice unless you get close but once seen, cannot be un-seen.

I finally had some spare time and did a flight to check out the new GB North stuff. Weird one here, I wonder if I am expecting too much or if I have a problem but I am a bit dumbfounded.

Took off from Glasgow and headed north then west. Came across these POI’s below but I’m not actually seeing anything “special” on them!

It has installed properly. I can see it in my Community folder (a link to the Orbx Library on my other drive) and the last shot below shows what’s clearly not an auto-gen building so it HAS loaded OK (I think!) but the rest I have seen is just auto-gen or just flat textures. Any ideas?!

1. Helensburgh (just an auto-gen part of town - no unique building?)

2. Rhu (nothing there - marker is just on flat building)

3. Blairmore (nothing there?)

4. Hunter’s Quay (no extra detail. Flat cars and auto-gen buildings)

5. Mount Stuart House (finally, something good! So install has “worked”)

What is up with those other locations? They just did 600 markers with no custom 3D for many of them?

EDIT: another one was Inchmurrin. Just a marker on a darker patch of grass. Nothing around it. Looks like a burial mound but it is part of the Bing imagery I think anyway!

1. Tighnabruaich (nothing there)
1 Like

@BragRaindrop933 Sorry to tag you, but I bet you have explored Scotland! :slight_smile:

Can you compare the places above and see what you can see there please?

1 Like

I’ve not flown up there yet although I have bought the add on and looked at the kml file using Google Earth to see all the landmarks they’ve listed.

I can’t imagine they would just create POI markers without creating a model so it must be something wrong surely?

Have you raised it with them on their official forum?

Your touring around my neck of the woods there!
I could have waved out of my virtual window if I’d known you’d be flying by😄. You may have had streaming issues with all the connection/server problems observed last night, again! If your default scenery was flat and not up to scratch then that’s what I suspect. Mount Stewart House was there as part of WU3. I’d look at loading the GB North scenery KML file into google earth as it easily shows all the landmarks and all the ones in there were present. I did one big Clyde fly over on Friday before the servers went down, and toured mainly lighthouses which are all there now. My only complaint is that they are smallish, but probably are in real life too scale wise from above BUT more critically, they are not really white enough looking to me. They have a very greyed/worn out look, but should be a wee bit whiter. You have to really look for them. Haven"t tried at night to see if they light up yet.
They seem to have gone big on lighthouses and small castles though, which is great.

I also did a quick Glasgow city centre trip and wow, some of the iconic buildings are amazing. Especially over SECC, Armadillo, Hydro etc. Further up towards the airport, Erskine bridge now looks like it should too.

I should have cleared my cache before touring after unstall, but I also saw a couple of “rifts” in the landscape, looked visually like huge fault lines. One running through Bute and another running through south Ayrshire. I need to go back and see if they are still there. It could have been cache issue. Definitely not right though, and not seen before this scenery pack.

So many other places to explore now, but not enough time this weekend thanks to the server downtime issues.

Thanks for the reply.

ah, so I think something is wrong my end with Orbx content then!! I will try their Discord for support. Strange that I seem to be getting the markers. Not sure what I SHOULD be seeing in the examples I gave?!

1 Like

The region you are referring to only has the extra POIs shown with red markers.

Some highlights-

Turnberry Lighthouse

Glasgow Finnieston

Hunterston power station

Erskine Bridge

Toward Point Lighthouse with Rothesay in the distance

Cloch Lighthouse

2 Likes

Defualt scenery probably. POI’s may be in game default POI’s just load the KML file (in the install directory into Google maps to find the locations). I didn’t check the in game POI tool t see if they made it in to there, so can’t really comment as I don’t use it.

@Baracus250

I’m 99.9% certain that the in-game POI’s don’t cover any of the ORBX landmarks, that’s your problem! I flew around Glasgow and the only POI’s showing were for the individual Towns, nothing else. I never use POIs so did wonder if I’d done something wrong but I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the case.

What you’re seeing in-game are just the bog-standard city POIs such as Helensburgh.

Fly over Glasgow and see if you can see the SECC etc. That will tell you straight away if it’s installed it not.

ps @BragRaindrop933 Great screenshots!

1 Like

Thank you. Yes exactly as you describe re POI’s you can even see that the new GB North ones don’t even make it into the default FS world map. Not sure if they are meant to or not. Just load the KML file that is in the scenery install directory into Google earth and you are all set. Albeit with an external app to see where they are.

Outside of what’s advertised, are there plenty of things that don’t fall into a list?

I’m thinking that they may do some general tidy-ups like tree removal for example along the way. I looked up some real photos of this Tighnabruaich @Baracus250 mentioned and it looks as he photoed it. Nothing immediately screams as anything missing. Maybe there was something once there in-sim that shouldn’t be, so they did a basic removal plus other stuff there. Surely you @BragRaindrop933 could be the Scotland area’s eyes for authenticity in this regard.

@BragRaindrop933

Do you have Bijan’s Boats/Huts pack at all?

I don’t think the pic of Tighnabruaich is anything but default scenery. Can’t comment about tree removals that may or may not have been done. Different layers of scenery though base + WU3 + Orbx GB North.
Could have done with a few Piers. Still missing them in the game eg Hunterson jetty etc

1 Like

No but I have his seasons pack (spring) and GAIST & Love VFR on top of Base+WU3+Orbx GB North.

Just FYI I asked him to look at Balloch and the Boat House at Cameron house, both of which he’s tidied up with walkways and 3D boats.

It’s a great pack, but it really neatens up that area if pick it up :+1:t2:

1 Like

Has Bijan returned? I wasn’t expecting him back for awhile longer yet. Yes he could certainly help with other stuff that’s missing, I hope his stuff doesn’t end up clashing which has been the case in Perth.

He hasn’t sadly no. This was a good while back, so it’s been in the pack practically from the beginning.

Is it a generic pack for static boats everywhere?
Edt: actually I just looked it up and have seen the synopsys. Sounds good. Plently of places I don’t currently fly though.

Oh yes!! You are probably right. That makes sense. But in the ‘Flight Assistant’ panel I had Landmarks selected so assumed it would filter out regular town markers (in fact Helensburgh appears in ‘Landmarks’, not ‘Cities’ or whatever the other option is). I never really use that window either. Just switched it on to find the Orbx things but if it doesn’t work like that I’ll find another way tonight.

So there is no built-in way to direct me to the Orbx additions? I’ll find the SECC and check that first tonight.

Does using the Sky4Sim tool have them on their own map (not blue markers in world) if I import the Orbx file to it - or not necessarily?

1 Like